By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Results: Switch sales top 19.67m, Mario Tennis 1.38m, DK TF 1.4m, more

Keybladewielder said:

Really nice to see Xenoblade selling so well, 1.42 million is really good for the kind of game it is. Wow at Tropical Freeze Switch being so close to outselling the Wii U version after only 2 months, I know the numbers are just shipments  but still.

The only official shipments we ever got for the Wii U version were 1.12m at the end of 2014 (~10 months) so the Switch version has done 300k more in 1/5 the time while being $10 more.

Im looking forward to seeing if Captain Toad can pass 1 million by the end of Sept.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Keybladewielder said:

Really nice to see Xenoblade selling so well, 1.42 million is really good for the kind of game it is. Wow at Tropical Freeze Switch being so close to outselling the Wii U version after only 2 months, I know the numbers are just shipments  but still.

The only official shipments we ever got for the Wii U version were 1.12m at the end of 2014 (~10 months) so the Switch version has done 300k more in 1/5 the time while being $10 more.

Im looking forward to seeing if Captain Toad can pass 1 million by the end of Sept.

Oh, I used the Vgchartz number of 1.7 million as reference, I wonder how accurate it is.

Well, the moral of the story when it comes to Tropical Freeze's numbers:
The "But it's a port" argument is nothing but overblown hot air with no real substance to it.

Keybladewielder said:
zorg1000 said:

Oh, I used the Vgchartz number of 1.7 million as reference, I wonder how accurate it is.

Ya i have no idea how accurate those figures are, im sure they continued shipping it after 2014 but no clue how much.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Funny you only mention Switch being overtracked yet based on your logic PS4 is overtracked as well but i dont see you mentioning that anywhere.

ps4 seems to be having shortages though with the pro model, and even the slim, it could very will be over tracked, but it's not like we have any region data like we do with nintendo.

Interesting you mention this. It came up quite organically in one of my PSN chat groups as members from Seattle, New York, and Tampa said they were having trouble finding a Pro.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
curl-6 said:

In 2019 you could have Monster Hunter, 2D Mario, and traditonal Pokemon. Boom, done. After that it wouldn't really matter as by the time a system is later in its life price cuts and revisions kick in to maintain sales.

Well.... yeah.2019 could be great, even spetacular again.You would have Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing, something Mario related(like a 2D game), way more third party support than this Switch got this far, and so on.And why is that?Because Nintendo took a "break" this year.My whole argument was around 2018, not latter years.With this year being so light on big releases on Nintendo part, I certainly expect a bigger year next year.

With better planning though, they shouldn't have needed a "break" at all. A system seller every 4 months or so is not at all unachievable with proper planning. If they find they can't finish the games in a punctual manner, simple answer: hire more people, outsource more projects, reallocate staff from less important projects, moneyhat third party exclusives, etc.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 July 2018

quickrick said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry man, there is no 2M+ rule.

The most we could get to is that in general we have about 1-2 months worth of sales between shipped and sold (which covers in transit and shelf). That number may be 500k or 3M depending on the time of the year, success of the platform, etc.

I never said there was a 2+ million rule, but ps4 does usually have 2+ million on store shelves. 500k is only if the system is suffering shortages. ps4 has been in the the 1.8-3 million range anytime we got data except for the first year where is did have supply issues.

Switch shipped almost half of PS4, so it having a lot less on shelves makes sense. They shipped little because there were little demand and it would justify lower amount on shelves. Just that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Johnw1104 said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm pretty sure we could see people during NX time saying Switch would sell a looooooot. Sure we would see some doom predictions as well.

After first month though most Nintendo fans I would say where predicting very high sales.

It depends on when we're talking about I suppose.

It wasn't until the Switch was revealed that people began to get optimistic, and even then it was tempered by a rather mixed reception from critics. I certainly don't recall anyone thinking they'd be crossing the 20 million mark a year and a half in with only one holiday season.

I'm pretty sure that even during NX there wer super optmistic calling 80M like sales.

And there were people thinking below WiiU even after release.

At any point in time there will be people excessively optimistic or negative over a console.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Any Sales comparisons for MTA? Before I say if its great or amazing.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Pretty insane numbers for Pokemon Sun/Moon + Ultra Sun/Moon, combined 23 million.