By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Results: Switch sales top 19.67m, Mario Tennis 1.38m, DK TF 1.4m, more

Software is really good largely likely due to the Switch having an older demographic with more disposable income to buy games with.

But the hardware number of 1.88 is on the soft/weak side. It's not terrible, but it's not great either, you see a 5 year old platform like the PS4 crossing 3 mill with ease in the same quarter.

Switch is more sensitive to its release schedule, Nintendo is gonna have to find ways to ensure new high profile content is constantly being released on the system. The whole "well we have Labo and that should carry hardware sales for the summer" type thinking isn't going to work with Switch.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Your "should have 2+ million" rule is made up.

Also there is no notable overtracking.

Vgchartz sales

N. America-6.90

Japan-4.54

Europe-4.91

RotW-1.91

Shipments

Americas-7.81

Japan-4.89

Other-6.97

How is anything made up? all we have is ps4 to compare to, and shipments are usually in the 2+ million range compared to sell through. As  for tracking numbers  you provided not sure what your point is, my point was vghcartz estimate have europe beating americas on a weekly bases , when nintendo shipments include europe and  ROTW and they are basically tied this quarter.

Sorry man, there is no 2M+ rule.

The most we could get to is that in general we have about 1-2 months worth of sales between shipped and sold (which covers in transit and shelf). That number may be 500k or 3M depending on the time of the year, success of the platform, etc.

Switch during first 6 or so months the shipped was sold or about equal to it. PS4 had times with like 2.5+ or less than 1.5 depending if they oversupplied to secure a holiday or if they are preparing a slim revision.

And sincerely 1 or 2M in the shelf is only relevant discussing if one or another if we had two system very close in sales and we wanted to see who is ahead, besides that it is at most statistical margin of error.

TheBlackNaruto said:
tbone51 said:

Yeah, i apologize. I was referring to a person(s) but not every1 means it in a negative way. Certain users like to downplay and i kinda didnt want to call them out.

That said its definetly a harder goal to hit but its not impossible. At least not yet

Ahhhh you are good man. I know we have some odd apples on the site of every fan base lol. But yes the goal is a little harder but definitely not impossible by any means!

Side note - Didn't Sony release their results as well? Had there been a thread made for it? Was just wondering before I went ahead and made it.

They did. Sony shipped 3.2M (100k less than same Q last year.. so similar to Switch being down 100k, but very different reasons)

Johnw1104 said:

lol are people really being negative about these numbers? They're fantastic, and have thus far included only one holiday season!

It's amazing how quickly we can forget where Nintendo was a mere year and a half ago; these are better than even the optimistic were willing to predict at the time.

Smash is still going to come out, a couple of Pokemon spinoffs, and then a true Pokemon title next year... this thing will keep on selling.

I'm pretty sure we could see people during NX time saying Switch would sell a looooooot. Sure we would see some doom predictions as well.

After first month though most Nintendo fans I would say where predicting very high sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

OTBWY said:
RolStoppable said:

Your judgment is off if you truly think that the numbers are that good.

Calling them bad is a joke.

Oh and also please update my numbers, I think I passed Aramdom. Not sure.

I wouldnt say especially bad or good, they are ok/decent.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DonFerrari said:
quickrick said:

How is anything made up? all we have is ps4 to compare to, and shipments are usually in the 2+ million range compared to sell through. As  for tracking numbers  you provided not sure what your point is, my point was vghcartz estimate have europe beating americas on a weekly bases , when nintendo shipments include europe and  ROTW and they are basically tied this quarter.

The most we could get to is that in general we have about 1-2 months worth of sales between shipped and sold (which covers in transit and shelf). That number may be 500k or 3M depending on the time of the year, success of the platform, etc.

I never said there was a 2+ million rule, but ps4 does usually have 2+ million on store shelves. 500k is only if the system is suffering shortages. ps4 has been in the the 1.8-3 million range anytime we got data except for the first year where is did have supply issues.

quickrick said:
DonFerrari said:

I never said there was a 2+ million rule, but ps4 does usually have 2+ million on store shelves. 500k is only if the system is suffering shortages. ps4 has been in the the 1.8-3 million range anytime we got data except for the first year where is did have supply issues.

Funny you only mention Switch being overtracked yet based on your logic PS4 is overtracked as well but i dont see you mentioning that anywhere.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

I'm pretty sure we could see people during NX time saying Switch would sell a looooooot. Sure we would see some doom predictions as well.

After first month though most Nintendo fans I would say where predicting very high sales.

It depends on when we're talking about I suppose.

It wasn't until the Switch was revealed that people began to get optimistic, and even then it was tempered by a rather mixed reception from critics. I certainly don't recall anyone thinking they'd be crossing the 20 million mark a year and a half in with only one holiday season.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

Funny you only mention Switch being overtracked yet based on your logic PS4 is overtracked as well but i dont see you mentioning that anywhere.

ps4 seems to be having shortages though with the pro model, and even the slim, it could very will be over tracked, but it's not like we have any region data like we do with nintendo.

BotW, Kart, and Odyssey should be mandatory buys for most Switch owners. So it's nice to see that they're selling a copy of each for every other Switch.

Cerebralbore101 said:
BotW, Kart, and Odyssey should be mandatory buys for most Switch owners. So it's nice to see that they're selling a copy of each for every other Switch.

It might be over now but a few retailers have been having deals where if you buy a Switch then you can get one of BotW, Kart, Odyssey or Splat 2 for half off.

Really nice to see Xenoblade selling so well, 1.42 million is really good for the kind of game it is. Wow at Tropical Freeze Switch being so close to outselling the Wii U version after only 2 months, I know the numbers are just shipments  but still.