By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95

I don't particularly care either game. Portability is great, but I don't really have much use for it. It's games that matter the most by far. If they happen to look slightly sub-par, I don't mind, but on the other hand, power does enable some stuff (including gameplay-related stuff).

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Shiken said:

I think you are reading WAY to much into a single word.  XD

I'm really not though, lol. Reading into something implies it's an interpretation. It isn't an interpretation, I'm just giving you some friendly advice, you are using the word "preference" wrong, factually. You can say you like both sides of the same coin equally, but you can't say you prefer both. 

I changed "favor" to "enjoy" in my OP just for you.  =P

Ganoncrotch said:
Shiken said:

Yeah, I feel ya.  I cannot gauge myself the same way as I only play one single player game at any given time.  I like to at least complete the main story and side content to my satisfaction before starting another game.  Multiplayer is a bit different, but there is less story involved in those games.

So when God of War came out, it was all I played until I got the plat.  When Breath of the Wild came out, I played 130 hours before even touching another single player game.  My general rule is if I start it, I finish it.  So my total hours of available playtime is what dictates my choice.

I do very similar for games which lock me in, Resident Evil Rev 2 was one that had me hooked but I do love the "last time on resident evil" which brings you up to date if you stop playing for a day or so and it keeps you informed of the previous plot points which are going to come up in the coming area.

Breath of the Wild got me hooked for 320 hours, even as a €60 game (bought the dlc not to play it but just to give them another 20 for a masterpiece game) but yeah that's still coming in at around 20c per hour of game.

Darksiders warmaster edition was for sale on the ps4 last month, it cost around a fiver if I recall, bought that of course as it's really great game, great value... played it for exactly 0 hours, so the same calculation brings up an error on a calculator for value, as you cannot divide the cost by zero hours of playtime.

Yeah after the DLC, I am up to 165 in BotW.  I have done everything except for max out all armors, Korok Seeds (fk that), and the compendium.  My time will likely double as I do eventually replaying everything on Master Mode as well.

As for games with zero time played, I just call it money I have effectively flushed down the toilet as by the time I get to them, the price has dropped even more...or I just don't get to it at all which is worse.  Got Metal Gear Solid 5 when it came out...have yet to play past the first mission (and I am a metal gear fan).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

You are asking that to a guy that went through the entire 5th generation and part of 6th with just a Game Boy Color (well, I also played one or two N64/PS1 games). Portability, not even close xD

I prefer power, but play more portable due to my schedule.

In a perfect workd, I would have a console at home that offers the absolute best expereince available anywhere, and a phone that has integrated controls and offers the same experience as the home device with lower resolution and paired back graphics. The phone would also be dockable, and have the ability to pair to a controller and output to a TV for when I am away from home.

Right now play mostly VR and PS4 via Remote Play with PS Vita or PSTV if I am at a Hotel/Motel. All I want going forward is enhanced VR at Home, and a way to play my games Natively on the go, with the ability to make and recieve Calls and Texts with both the VR and Portable system.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Shiken said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I'm really not though, lol. Reading into something implies it's an interpretation. It isn't an interpretation, I'm just giving you some friendly advice, you are using the word "preference" wrong, factually. You can say you like both sides of the same coin equally, but you can't say you prefer both. 

I changed "favor" to "enjoy" in my OP just for you.  =P

Thanks, I noticed, and I love you  

Around the Network

Power is more important than portability, with a big caveat: there are so many gradients of power. And power in the hands of a poor developer is useless.

The Switch is on its way to becoming the best system on the market because it gets the best games, courtesy of developers who know what they’re doing. It’s a far cry from the most powerful platform but it has enough horsepower to support Nintendo’s internal teams. Similarly, many of the best games on PS4 don’t even come close to taking full advantage of its tech; they’d be perfectly playable on Vita or last-gen systems. Some would be playable on a toaster.

So, to bend the rules a little:

Powerful (enough) > portability > bleeding edge power

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Power is more important than portability, with a big caveat: there are so many gradients of power. And power in the hands of a poor developer is useless.

The Switch is on its way to becoming the best system on the market because it gets the best games, courtesy of developers who know what they’re doing. 

Last year you'd be on to something, but this year? I'm pretty sure PS4 is going to take the cake. 

Veknoid_Outcast said:

The Switch is on its way to becoming the best system on the market because it gets the best games, courtesy of developers who know what they’re doing. It’s a far cry from the most powerful platform but it has enough horsepower to support Nintendo’s internal teams. Similarly, many of the best games on PS4 don’t even come close to taking full advantage of its tech; they’d be perfectly playable on Vita or last-gen systems. Some would be playable on a toaster.

So, to bend the rules a little:

Powerful (enough) > portability > bleeding edge power

I think the bleeding edge power idea is absolutely on my scale exactly the same as this, perhaps it's because I came up from an Atari 2600 so the first time I seen games in 3d was mindblowing, seeing them in 720 awesome, 1080p... cool, it's clearer... but 4/8k just that jump is nice but really nothing from a technology point of view imo will ever be as large as the leaps we've already seen with graphics, and I think that having a console with the power of something like the X1X but with the games like Super Luckys Tale is such a horrible mismatch of where the balance needs to be between functional power and used power.

Last edited by Ganoncrotch - on 21 July 2018

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Well, the games trump everything for me and a part of that is effective use of power on whatever system you choose, but that wasn't part of your question so given those two factors, I choose power. I like portability, it's neat but I don't use it much. I don't really want to play a game console in my workplace and don't think I could get much use on my commute either, so for the main times I will be out of the house a phone makes more sense for distraction. Most other times I'm going out it will be shopping, movies or another event that I don't want to take a console along for. So portability is nice, I use it sometimes and if I go away for a week then handhelds are what I'm taking. But that is still only a very small part of my day to day life. Usually I'm playing games at home after work and having a more powerful console seems preferable.

So in most cases if I have the option of PS4 or Switch, I'll choose the PS4 version due in part to better performance and visuals, though storage space comes into play too since I mostly buy digital and portability affects how much space is available.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 21 July 2018

Definitely power, especially considering I only game at home.