By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95

I only play my Switch hooked up to my tv, so i'm all about home use.

Around the Network

Power!!!!

I used to care about portability during the GBA/DS/PSP but as portable games got bigger/more complex etc It dawned on me that I really don't like playing games on the go. I barely take public transport now but when I did, I always found it very uncomfortable to play full length games in public. I was never fully into the experience and would get distracted by environment a lot, overall it would just be a waste. Playing on my couch or bed on a personal screen was sometimes fun and convenient but again, its a lessor experience to playing on the TV. Now I'm older and far more busy I really don't care for the idea of taking my games anywhere other than to another friends how for social/couch play. If I have moments to kill, I'd rather listen to music, message friends, catch up on news etc. If I do play something I'm more than happy for it to be a cute/shallow F2P mobile (android/IOS) game.

My gaming now exclusively revolves around me finding a handful of quite hours in the week and getting lost in an experience, or inviting friends over for some fun times.

Power, starting to consider trying not to play in 1080p anymore.

VAMatt said:
My gaming habits have changed considerably, multiple times, throughout my life. My dad was a gamer from the very beginning, so I've used every major system since Atari 2600, and I've owned all but a couple of them. At some points, most of my time was spent on handheld devices. That's happened maybe 4 to 5 times, for a year or two. The rest of the time I've been console-first.

Right now, I'm in a console-first period. I have been for a while, actually. My last handheld focused period ended around the time I got my WiiU. Prior to that, I was mostly playing on 3DS. Prior to 3DS, I was gaming mostly on Wii and 360. Prior to that, it was DS, which came after my GBA period. Right now, it is is PS4 Pro and Xbone mostly. I own a Switch, and I play it when I'm traveling, or when a can't-miss game launches (Odyssey was the last game I put much time into on Switch). But, since I have a gaming setup in my basement, and I'm home most of the time, I am very much console focused right now. So, given the choice to buy a game on Switch or PSbone, I'll almost certainly choose PSbone (unless a vacation is coming soon, or something like that). I just don't see a reason to sacrifice performance for portability at this point.

I have a baby on the way now. I'm thinking this may bring about a change in my gaming habits once again. Maybe I'll want to play on Switch in handheld mode, so the baby can sleep in the same room as me without the light of TV blasting in his/her face. Or, maybe my basement gaming room (with the consoles) will become an even more important oasis, where I run to when I need a break from the kid.

Anyway, the tl;dr version is that I favor whichever factors work for me at a given point in my life. Today that means more power. Maybe next year it will mean more portability.

I have 4 kids, one being 4 months.  I too have a den.

Depending on the situation, I can get about 10-15 hours a week of gaming when tied to the TV of noting comes up.  5 of those hours is dependent om me being able to pull myself out of bed extra early in the morning which sometimes, I just cannot do.

However by taking a sacrifice on visuals with DOOM for example, I can play both in my den or on the go with the Switch.  It gives me the best of both worlds and I can maximize my game time easily.  I play on my break at work as it helps calm my mind and helps me focus after the break.  I play it for 45 min while waiting for the mother of my oldest son to drop him off at the meet point as I have a 45 min period where I have nothing to do and it is pointless for me to go home first.  I have played for a good hour while waiting for my truck to finish being serviced.  And as you mentioned, I have played in portable while being in the same room as the baby to better respond to her needs.

Also this weekend for example, I am at my parents house.  Sure during the day I am spending time with them, but during the night and early morning I am gaming as I would be at home.  Or at the early mornings at the beach on myast vacation when everyone is doing their own thing.

Then when I can play on the TV, I use a pro controller in the den.  To me, the visual sacrifice is well worth it when I have the option to take it on the go when I need to.  The games still look great on the big screen, just not quite as good as the PS4 version.  Certainly better than the PS360 though.

Also for me, smartphones are not an option.  I do not like the games they have nor the control scheme.  I have tried to use those on the go for convenience, but I am a core gamer at heart.  The Switch really was a system made for adults like me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

console, for me.

full experience with 4k.

Around the Network

It depends on if you travel by car, to school/work, or by bus/train, and how short those rides are and how often you change bus/train during the trip.

I think alot of people here over-value portability, when often alot of people dont even make use of it during commuteing back and forth.
Ei. Portability value = highly dependent on your travel times, and style.

For my personal preference:

Performance > Accessibility (that includes portability) > image quality > graphical detail.

In other words I'd rather have a game with simple graphics that runs 60 fps 1080p that I can play with ease anywhere.

Power. I don't even have games on my Smartphone, so portability is 0 value for me.

Why not both? PC is clearly the answer for that though. ;)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

VAMatt said:
My gaming habits have changed considerably, multiple times, throughout my life. My dad was a gamer from the very beginning, so I've used every major system since Atari 2600, and I've owned all but a couple of them. At some points, most of my time was spent on handheld devices. That's happened maybe 4 to 5 times, for a year or two. The rest of the time I've been console-first.

Right now, I'm in a console-first period. I have been for a while, actually. My last handheld focused period ended around the time I got my WiiU. Prior to that, I was mostly playing on 3DS. Prior to 3DS, I was gaming mostly on Wii and 360. Prior to that, it was DS, which came after my GBA period. Right now, it is is PS4 Pro and Xbone mostly. I own a Switch, and I play it when I'm traveling, or when a can't-miss game launches (Odyssey was the last game I put much time into on Switch). But, since I have a gaming setup in my basement, and I'm home most of the time, I am very much console focused right now. So, given the choice to buy a game on Switch or PSbone, I'll almost certainly choose PSbone (unless a vacation is coming soon, or something like that). I just don't see a reason to sacrifice performance for portability at this point.

I have a baby on the way now. I'm thinking this may bring about a change in my gaming habits once again. Maybe I'll want to play on Switch in handheld mode, so the baby can sleep in the same room as me without the light of TV blasting in his/her face. Or, maybe my basement gaming room (with the consoles) will become an even more important oasis, where I run to when I need a break from the kid.

Anyway, the tl;dr version is that I favor whichever factors work for me at a given point in my life. Today that means more power. Maybe next year it will mean more portability.

PSVR is your answer... 300" screen with zero light to harass your baby

Pemalite said:
Why not both? PC is clearly the answer for that though. ;)

I knew we could count on you... just missed the picture of those custom made high end notebooks with good battery life =p and portable X1 and PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."