By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95

It really does just depend on my current situation. Right now, I am focusing on Octopath as I got some traveling going on. But after this next family reunion trip, I will be at home for a while again so I know I am either going to start MH World or Persona 5 on my PS4 Pro. Found myself dabbling in Dragonball FighterZ this morning as well.

Octopath is so great, but it really is designed for hour long sessions as you can complete a chapter in an hour.  I think I may take my time with this one and use it for my on the go gaming instead of just blasting right through it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I've always hated handhelds, mobile games etc so portability is useless for me.

The main selling point of the Switch is it's portability, in my opinion. I own a PS4 and a Switch... actually, two PS4s and a Switch... and I tend to alternate between them, focusing on one console for a couple months at a time. This isn't always the case, but it tends to happen that way. I play undocked maybe 50% of the time with the Switch. I prefer playing docked for the most part, but the option to undock the system has afforded me time to play games when I otherwise couldn't.

KBG29 said:
Playing Need For Speed Most Wanted on PS Vita again today, and it reminded just how amazing Vita is and was. As others have said it comes down to each indiviual game, as to whether I prefer Portable or Power.

Need For Speed Most Wanted was perfect for me on the Vita.
1. Events take 2 - 3 Minutes.
2. Swapping between events and vehicals takes about 10 seconds.
3. It leaves the system open for other activities, with the game in the background.

A typical NFSMW day on Vita used to consist of Music Unlimited streaming me music, Skype in the background ready to make or recieve calls. If I want to check something on the web, PS Button, Game Pauses, Music Keeps Playing, two clicks of R1 and I'm in the browser. Get a message, PS Button, Hit the Notifications Bubble, fire off a response, PS Button again, and back to the game. Get a Phone call, Game and Music Pause, end call, Game and Music resume.

Those were the best times ever, because as much as I love and prefer being at Home with my TV, Controller, and Couch, or more recently, VR and Motion, reality is, I still have to go to work. Having one device that I could take with me, that gave me an enjoyable expereince, and handled all of my priority needs was incredible.

Now days, I have my 4G Flip Phone and the Vita. Many new Vita games have dropped support for background functions, the ability to make and recieve calls ended last April. There is no music streaming service available, so I am limited to what is on the Memory Card. PS Now which worked over 3G has now been dropped. I love remote play, when I am at the airport, waiting around for meetings, or at the hotel, but it is not viable for 15 min breaks.

There are so many great pick up and play games on PSN for PS4, that I can not justify playing at home, but would be absolutely perfect for a Mobile PS4. For me it feels like Mobile peaked in about 2014, and has been declining ever since. I would love to have another device come out that offers the expereince the Vita was delivering 4 years ago, before support started dropping. No device on the market today offers as rich of an expereince, which is sad with how much tech has grown since Vita. Android and iOS are crippled by buttonless slabs, and terrible OS designs, and Switch lacks priority features.

So, I guess I have been spoiled. I had Power and Portability, and I have never been happier. Now I just want to get back to where we were, and continue to progress from there. We don't have to choose between Power or Portability, because we can have both. It already happened, and tech is even more viable for it now. Hopefully, at some point, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Google, Apple, or some other company, will once again make it so we have the option for both, and then we can all play the way we want, or the way that fits or lives.

Very interesting read, my friend. You are very well spoken. All these years and I've never owned a PSP or Vita. It sounds like much of what made the Vita experience so good is now gone. I missed out on something pretty cool. This really makes me wonder why the Vita wasn't more successful. From the perspective of someone who never owned one, it looked far superior to the original PSP. The UMD drive held me back from getting an original PSP, but the Vita had everything I would have wanted at the time.

DonFerrari said:
mysteryman said:

Pretty much.

If you have an amazing TV setup all to yourself at home, and don't leave the house much, of course portability won't mean much to you.

Likewise if the TV is never free, and you spend most of your time out of the house, power isn't going to help you play any games.

But for some reason we have people that think it's crazy to have the priorities based on this with those "power doesn't make good games" or "if it doesn't look like a movie I won't even touch no matter what"

From what I can gather you are mixing up two separate “power” discussions. 

Around the Network

It will be very hard for me to go back to a Normal Home Console after the Switch.
The portability just wins it for me.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

mysteryman said:
DonFerrari said:

But for some reason we have people that think it's crazy to have the priorities based on this with those "power doesn't make good games" or "if it doesn't look like a movie I won't even touch no matter what"

From what I can gather you are mixing up two separate “power” discussions. 

Not sure if I follow what you said... but I'll better explain me.

There are people on the power side that say they wouldn't ever play a game that doesn't look like movies

And there are people on the portability side that say power is useless and that it doesn't make a game good

None accepting that depending on your need one is better suited than other, and of course there is people on power side that want power for more fps others for IQ other for resolution others for gameplay purposes, etc. And sure there are people on portability with a lot of different priorities (like size, battery, controls).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Portability has been a huge boon to my hobby personally. Power means nothing to me if I don't actually have time to play the games. Many of the games I bought for my Xbox One over the years, I would start, and never finish before months would pass and a new game would release and capture my attention. On Switch, where I can continue the same console game out of the house, I have a much higher likelihood of actually finishing a game's story/campaign. In the past year, I've finished as many full retail games on Switch than I have in the 4 years I've had my Xbox One (and most of those were the short TellTale Games). So yeah, portability is far more important to me.