By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

Since you are replying to a post I was replying to 2 other people what point of yours I'm missing?

The person to whom I replied was praising the great portability to use in house for those that have no use for it outside of house and that was my countering to.

I don't commute (have to drive), when I travel I bring my console with me, when I'm with family at most will do small cell game or more likely interact with them. That is why for me power is much more important than Portability while I completely understand why some people value Portability a lot (like in your case). But to purchase a portable or even a hybrid to take use of the 5 min dump in the bathroom or waiting for the microwave to heat a food is not a good investment on my opinion considering all the sacrifices that need to be made for the portability

If that was your point, I agree.  If someone cannot just wait five minute for a hot pocket or taking a dump, they need to prioritize their time better lol.

I would be afraid I would get poo on my finger by some stupid fluke of a reason and then getting it on my Switch.  As unlikely as that is to happen, I still would not chance it.

Yep.

For the proposition of the Switch, for those that have usage for it (as your case) it is a strong and valuable platform. And from what we gather here most of the userbase doesn't mind the sacrifices in performance and even battery that is needed to achieve what Switch does. And to better the deal even 3rd parties are showing good material on what can be ported.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I bet someone will counter saying it isn't truly portable since you can't fit in your pocket.

Um. PC Comes in pocket sizes.

And unlike the Switch you can play games like Doom at 60fps.

I was thinking about getting a GPD Win 2 (PC handheld with m3-7y30 / Intel HD 615) or a Microsoft Surface Go (PC tablet with Pentium Gold 4415Y / Intel HD 615). I even had the 8GB-version of the Microsoft Surface Go on pre-order for €100 less than MSRP.

But in the end I decided to go with the Raven Ridge notebook as portable PC. Sure, it is 1 kg heavier than the other two devices and a lot bigger, but for the genres I prefer outside home it seemed much better suited: point&click adventures, Civilization V + VI, Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sins 1 + 2, XCOM 1 + 2, Bard's Tale 4, Wasteland 2 and similar games profit from every inch display size.

Both CPU and GPU part are also a lot faster (twice the cores, twice the threads, higher clocking) and I can install a lot more games (it has a 1 TB HDD additional to the SSD).

For other use case scenarios the handheld or the tablet may be better... but I already have a lot of handhelds and tablets for the other stuff.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I bet someone will counter saying it isn't truly portable since you can't fit in your pocket.

Um. PC Comes in pocket sizes.

And unlike the Switch you can play games like Doom at 60fps.

That's a sexy little device. I have up read up on it.

Conina said:

I was thinking about getting a GPD Win 2 (PC handheld with m3-7y30 / Intel HD 615) or a Microsoft Surface Go (PC tablet with Pentium Gold 4415Y / Intel HD 615). I even had the 8GB-version of the Microsoft Surface Go on pre-order for €100 less than MSRP.

But in the end I decided to go with the Raven Ridge notebook as portable PC. Sure, it is 1 kg heavier than the other two devices and a lot bigger, but for the genres I prefer outside home it seemed much better suited: point&click adventures, Civilization V + VI, Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sins 1 + 2, XCOM 1 + 2, Bard's Tale 4, Wasteland 2 and similar games profit from every inch display size.

Both CPU and GPU part are also a lot faster (twice the cores, twice the threads, higher clocking) and I can install a lot more games (it has a 1 TB HDD additional to the SSD).

For other use case scenarios the handheld or the tablet may be better... but I already have a lot of handhelds and tablets for the other stuff.

Both approaches certainly have their Pro's and Con's. - You obviously weighed them up and went with what best suited you.
For me personally? I would also prefer a full sized notebook of the Raven Ridge variety, bonus if it was convertible too.

I think I might leave the Notebook purchase for another year or two until DDR5 comes along... I really struggle to tolerate displays that are less than an 8-bit IPS, 1440P panel and Raven Ridge just doesn't have the guts for that res.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Portability is more important for me. I think in the future we will have a more powerful switch and other companies will make portables as well. Then we will talk about the old days when we had to play video games in one room.

Around the Network

Doesn't this just boil down to how you play most of your games?

If being mobile is more impportant than being at home then its obvious which platform you will prefer. If the reverse then its stupid buying a platform that is built from the ground up to be mobile and ignore the one that is built to be stationary.

So someone like me, that doesn't even play games on my smartphone; will never see the sense in buying the NS over say the PS unless I just really really want to play a particular game on it or Nintendo games in genera appeals to me more.

Playing Need For Speed Most Wanted on PS Vita again today, and it reminded just how amazing Vita is and was. As others have said it comes down to each indiviual game, as to whether I prefer Portable or Power.

Need For Speed Most Wanted was perfect for me on the Vita.
1. Events take 2 - 3 Minutes.
2. Swapping between events and vehicals takes about 10 seconds.
3. It leaves the system open for other activities, with the game in the background.

A typical NFSMW day on Vita used to consist of Music Unlimited streaming me music, Skype in the background ready to make or recieve calls. If I want to check something on the web, PS Button, Game Pauses, Music Keeps Playing, two clicks of R1 and I'm in the browser. Get a message, PS Button, Hit the Notifications Bubble, fire off a response, PS Button again, and back to the game. Get a Phone call, Game and Music Pause, end call, Game and Music resume.

Those were the best times ever, because as much as I love and prefer being at Home with my TV, Controller, and Couch, or more recently, VR and Motion, reality is, I still have to go to work. Having one device that I could take with me, that gave me an enjoyable expereince, and handled all of my priority needs was incredible.

Now days, I have my 4G Flip Phone and the Vita. Many new Vita games have dropped support for background functions, the ability to make and recieve calls ended last April. There is no music streaming service available, so I am limited to what is on the Memory Card. PS Now which worked over 3G has now been dropped. I love remote play, when I am at the airport, waiting around for meetings, or at the hotel, but it is not viable for 15 min breaks.

There are so many great pick up and play games on PSN for PS4, that I can not justify playing at home, but would be absolutely perfect for a Mobile PS4. For me it feels like Mobile peaked in about 2014, and has been declining ever since. I would love to have another device come out that offers the expereince the Vita was delivering 4 years ago, before support started dropping. No device on the market today offers as rich of an expereince, which is sad with how much tech has grown since Vita. Android and iOS are crippled by buttonless slabs, and terrible OS designs, and Switch lacks priority features.

So, I guess I have been spoiled. I had Power and Portability, and I have never been happier. Now I just want to get back to where we were, and continue to progress from there. We don't have to choose between Power or Portability, because we can have both. It already happened, and tech is even more viable for it now. Hopefully, at some point, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Google, Apple, or some other company, will once again make it so we have the option for both, and then we can all play the way we want, or the way that fits or lives.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

If I have to choose, I will choose power over portability. portability and mobile gaming is just not for me.

Intrinsic said:

If being mobile is more impportant than being at home then its obvious which platform you will prefer. If the reverse then its stupid buying a platform that is built from the ground up to be mobile and ignore the one that is built to be stationary.

So someone like me, that doesn't even play games on my smartphone; will never see the sense in buying the NS over say the PS unless I just really really want to play a particular game on it or Nintendo games in genera appeals to me more.

Pretty much.

If you have an amazing TV setup all to yourself at home, and don't leave the house much, of course portability won't mean much to you.

Likewise if the TV is never free, and you spend most of your time out of the house, power isn't going to help you play any games.

mysteryman said:
Intrinsic said:

Pretty much.

If you have an amazing TV setup all to yourself at home, and don't leave the house much, of course portability won't mean much to you.

Likewise if the TV is never free, and you spend most of your time out of the house, power isn't going to help you play any games.

But for some reason we have people that think it's crazy to have the priorities based on this with those "power doesn't make good games" or "if it doesn't look like a movie I won't even touch no matter what"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."