By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95
DonFerrari said:
Conina said:

Good point. I bought a cheap notebook on Prime day with a Raven Ridge APU (Ryzen + Vega 8) and am amazed how many of my older favorites work perfectly fine on that in 1920x1080 (or their fixed resolution). Also a lot of new indie games and games like the new South Park game.

Many newer games work fine in 1280x720. Even Doom (2016) runs with 40+ fps in low settings (still higher than the Switch version), but I don't want to play it that way.

I bet someone will counter saying it isn't truly portable since you can't fit in your pocket.

Um. PC Comes in pocket sizes.

And unlike the Switch you can play games like Doom at 60fps.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

In many ways I prefer my PS4 but I don’t get much chance to use it these days...I don’t favour my switch it’s just the only thing I ever get to use at present. I have a job that involves working weird hours and provides time to play games whilst there (sometimes) so portable gaming has always blended well with my lifestyle...I have several PS4 games I’ve been meaning to play for a while but I’m about to go overseas so seems pointless starting anything at the moment when I can start a switch game and take it with me...etc etc. The downside of this is some of the games I play on the switch are games I’m less interested in and play just cos there’s nothing better around (nsane trilogy for example).

It's true that you have more opportunity to game with portability, and you actually play your games instead of adding them to an ever increasing backlog, but it is also nice to have a game look and run well, when you have both portability and performance assuming your standards aren't unreasonably high it's fantastic

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I bet someone will counter saying it isn't truly portable since you can't fit in your pocket.

Um. PC Comes in pocket sizes.

And unlike the Switch you can play games like Doom at 60fps.

Always reliable =]

I didn't remember or seem this version of portable PC

But PC is that beast that you can customize as much as you want and make almost anything out of it.

I bet one could make a switch like idea and the dock be used to increase performance with secondary CPU and GPU.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:

To much true kkkkk

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
GoOnKid said:

Many people fail to understand that portability does not mean you MUST play it outside. It rather opens up possibilites inside the house, too. That way, I can play in the kitchen while I wait for dinner to finish cooking without the need to switch (no pun intended) rooms. Stationary consoles don't offer that. And THAT is comfort.

I think that the technological race in regards to graphics is saturated, anyway. This gen, we were not introduced to any groundbreaking leap of advancement; it was just more of the same. I'd argue that even last gen failed to bring something truly fresh and new to the industry when in the past we had the shift from 2d to 3d. That was groundbreaking. Nowadays, there is no ground to break anymore. There are only more and finer details. So I think that the standard we have today is sufficient for any gamng experience. And no, I don't think VR will be a big thing in the future.

I lost the fascination of watching better graphics during the early 2000s. Everything after that was just prettier and nicer, but that alone doesn't satisfy me. So basically convenience is more important to me, and the Switch offers that due to its portability. Also the library is pretty awesome already.

Or perhaps you are failing to understand that for a lot of people this "portability" is useless. Don't want to be wait playing for 5 min waiting food be ready. Rather still be in main room playing until the beep says the food is ready. Same with disconnecting the system from the tv to keep playing with giving a 2 min go to the bathroom. or Similar. For some of us the comfort is playing in the couch not caring the system all around.

Yes, smartass, all of what I said comes ON TOP of being able to play comfortably on the couch, not replace that.

HoloDust said:
GoOnKid said:

Many people fail to understand that portability does not mean you MUST play it outside. It rather opens up possibilites inside the house, too. That way, I can play in the kitchen while I wait for dinner to finish cooking without the need to switch (no pun intended) rooms. Stationary consoles don't offer that. And THAT is comfort.

You mean something like Wii U?

I don't give a damn about handhelds, but Wii U was actually nice idea...if only Wii U Gamepad was optional peripheral for those who actually want to play in kitchen or while taking a dump, and not forced on consumers.

Sony is giving you this option with PS4/Vita, nVidia is giving you this option with their cards on PC.

Kind of like the Wii U, yes, but the problem with the Wii U is that the Gamepad needs to be close to the console itself, so your range of action is quite limited.

Portapowerbility.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Depends on the game I guess?
I stand on the side of being able to choose myself what I prefer for any given game. Sadly gaming is ruled by companies who hate nothing more than choice.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.