By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95
DonFerrari said:
Conina said:

Good point. I bought a cheap notebook on Prime day with a Raven Ridge APU (Ryzen + Vega 8) and am amazed how many of my older favorites work perfectly fine on that in 1920x1080 (or their fixed resolution). Also a lot of new indie games and games like the new South Park game.

Many newer games work fine in 1280x720. Even Doom (2016) runs with 40+ fps in low settings (still higher than the Switch version), but I don't want to play it that way.

I bet someone will counter saying it isn't truly portable since you can't fit in your pocket.

And they also have a point. For gaming on the go I will use one of my handhelds (Vita, Switch and 3DS) and at home my desktop PC and home consoles. For travelling (plane, train, bus), vacation (hotel room) and lying lazy in the bed I now have an additional option.

Around the Network
Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

I bet someone will counter saying it isn't truly portable since you can't fit in your pocket.

And they also have a point. For gaming on the go I will use one of my handhelds (Vita, Switch and 3DS) and at home my desktop PC and home consoles. For travelling (plane, train, bus), vacation (hotel room) and lying lazy in the bed I now have an additional option.

Yep =] for commuting I don't think there is a better option than a HH and Switch is the best option for it at the moment... unfortunately I drive to work and the portability at home or travel doesn't justify the cost for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Depends on the game. I love the idea of having certain games with me at all times. It's the reason I own quite a few games on Switch and Wii U and other games on Switch and PS4/XBO.

The full featured controls and console quality graphics (even if a bit underpowered) go a long way.

d21lewis said:
Depends on the game. I love the idea of having certain games with me at all times.

I love that idea, too. Having some great games always with me at all times is awesome.

But I normally choose games with only minimal downgrades for that (and exclusives of course), not versions which scream "compromise due to mobility" at every corner.

What I can say is that more games doesn't matter if you don't have the time to play it all.
As a college student, my 3DS gives me more milage than the PS4 I brought over.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

Many people fail to understand that portability does not mean you MUST play it outside. It rather opens up possibilites inside the house, too. That way, I can play in the kitchen while I wait for dinner to finish cooking without the need to switch (no pun intended) rooms. Stationary consoles don't offer that. And THAT is comfort.

You mean something like Wii U?

I don't give a damn about handhelds, but Wii U was actually nice idea...if only Wii U Gamepad was optional peripheral for those who actually want to play in kitchen or while taking a dump, and not forced on consumers.

Sony is giving you this option with PS4/Vita, nVidia is giving you this option with their cards on PC.

Conina said:
d21lewis said:
Depends on the game. I love the idea of having certain games with me at all times.

I love that idea, too. Having some great games always with me at all times is awesome.

But I normally choose games with only minimal downgrades for that (and exclusives of course), not versions which scream "compromise due to mobility" at every corner.

For my dollar, the compromises are acceptable. Especially when you consider how much you had to sacrifice in the part to play your favorite games on the go.

When you compare Gameboy and GBA ports to the home versions of NES-Gamecube games or PSP-Vita ports to the home versions of PS2-PS3 games, the Switch holds up pretty favorably. Especially if it's a game with a 7th gen version.

d21lewis said:
Conina said:

For my dollar, the compromises are acceptable. Especially when you consider how much you had to sacrifice in the part to play your favorite games on the go.

When you compare Gameboy and GBA ports to the home versions of NES-Gamecube games or PSP-Vita ports to the home versions of PS2-PS3 games, the Switch holds up pretty favorably. Especially if it's a game with a 7th gen version.

I actually don't remember HH before Switch really getting something that were really console ports even if PSP and PSV proposition where games Like Consoles, but they weren't really ports, much more games created similar to how consoles had but to be played on the go (some working and others not). Would say Switch is the first to really have the sacrifices being on a level that you really can get several competent ports of consoles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I feel like there's a lot of other factors besides just power and portability.

For example, one of the big selling points of the Switch to me was motion controls; that the Joycons are basically what I wanted from a next-gen Wiimote + Nunchuk; 1:1 movement on both hands, no cable between them, analogue stick and four buttons on each.

curl-6 said:

I feel like there's a lot of other factors besides just power and portability.

For example, one of the big selling points of the Switch to me was motion controls; that the Joycons are basically what I wanted from a next-gen Wiimote + Nunchuk; 1:1 movement on both hands, no cable between them, analogue stick and four buttons on each.

There have been a steady number of people in VGC that talks alot about the gyro aiming and how they like it =]