By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95

I don't really care about portability.

There isn't a poll option for me though, I split time between PS4 for exclusives and games that aren't too demanding, PC for everything else. I like them both a lot. When I'm on the go, I'm driving or busy doing something, so portability offers me nothing, but for someone with a lot of downtime away from their home, or with a train/bus/carpool commute that wanted to game, A+, it makes sense for them.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
HoloDust said:

You mean something like Wii U?

I don't give a damn about handhelds, but Wii U was actually nice idea...if only Wii U Gamepad was optional peripheral for those who actually want to play in kitchen or while taking a dump, and not forced on consumers.

Sony is giving you this option with PS4/Vita, nVidia is giving you this option with their cards on PC.

Kind of like the Wii U, yes, but the problem with the Wii U is that the Gamepad needs to be close to the console itself, so your range of action is quite limited.

Yeah, at my home two walls are all that it's needed for it to loose connection (and kids being kids like to roam around)...but as I said, it's neat concept (when properly done), I just think it was poorly implemented by not making it optional.

I'd say having the most comfortable and functional experience trumps all. For me, that means my couch and my big ass TV. Why would I want to play anywhere else or settle for a tiny screen? I need my setup and my privacy for full immersion and a quality experience.
It's also a matter of exclusivity, since many of the games I want are only available on the PS4.

Depends on the game for me. I wouldn't play something like the Witcher 3 on the go, so i'd prefer power here. At the same time a mobile Doom is great.

To me the only real problem with some Switch games is that i pay a higher price for games that have been on the market for quite some time. Not only third party but also many Wii U ports are more expensive for Switch.
The best thing is having a choice. So if possible i'll decide on a game for game basis

GoOnKid said:
DonFerrari said:

Or perhaps you are failing to understand that for a lot of people this "portability" is useless. Don't want to be wait playing for 5 min waiting food be ready. Rather still be in main room playing until the beep says the food is ready. Same with disconnecting the system from the tv to keep playing with giving a 2 min go to the bathroom. or Similar. For some of us the comfort is playing in the couch not caring the system all around.

Yes, smartass, all of what I said comes ON TOP of being able to play comfortably on the couch, not replace that.

Owww but thank you. If you haven't said... I didn't knew you could play Switch on your couch... 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
GoOnKid said:

Many people fail to understand that portability does not mean you MUST play it outside. It rather opens up possibilites inside the house, too. That way, I can play in the kitchen while I wait for dinner to finish cooking without the need to switch (no pun intended) rooms. Stationary consoles don't offer that. And THAT is comfort.

I think that the technological race in regards to graphics is saturated, anyway. This gen, we were not introduced to any groundbreaking leap of advancement; it was just more of the same. I'd argue that even last gen failed to bring something truly fresh and new to the industry when in the past we had the shift from 2d to 3d. That was groundbreaking. Nowadays, there is no ground to break anymore. There are only more and finer details. So I think that the standard we have today is sufficient for any gamng experience. And no, I don't think VR will be a big thing in the future.

I lost the fascination of watching better graphics during the early 2000s. Everything after that was just prettier and nicer, but that alone doesn't satisfy me. So basically convenience is more important to me, and the Switch offers that due to its portability. Also the library is pretty awesome already.

Or perhaps you are failing to understand that for a lot of people this "portability" is useless. Don't want to be wait playing for 5 min waiting food be ready. Rather still be in main room playing until the beep says the food is ready. Same with disconnecting the system from the tv to keep playing with giving a 2 min go to the bathroom. or Similar. For some of us the comfort is playing in the couch not caring the system all around.

shikamaru317 said:

In an ideal world I'd like to see a platform with both power and portability. 2 systems, 1 which is a handheld and 1 which is a more powerful home console, which can play the same games with crossplay and crossbuy. Was what I was hoping Nintendo NX would be, but sadly we got Switch instead, which tried to be both a handheld and a home console in a single package instead of in separate packages, and kind of comes up short in both areas, too big and too battery power hungry to make a good handheld, too weak to make a good home console.

Given the choice between the two, I lean more towards power.

Well that is why some people expect Nintendo to release a HH only with more battery, a dock that increases power, a table only console with more power and no money wasted on the portable elements, etc... It may or may not happen (I think it would benefit Nintendo if the game runs perfectly in all modes with just a increase in IQ and FPS between versions).

You are missing the point.  When I play inside portably, it is usually not in my own house.  It is at work on my break, downtime at the beach house on vacation, in a hotel room on my family reunion trip in two weeks, or in the morning at my parents house while visiting family during a period when everyone is waking up or at night when everyone else is sleeping.

The Switch allows me to do these things without sacrificing my game time in any way.  Had I not had my Switch, I would lose a weekend of gaming in two weeks, this past weekend, or have nothing to do on vacation during my downtime.  You do not have to, "be outside" at all for portability to be a major factor in your gaming.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Portability of course.

Portability for me cause of work

however there is no reason you can't have both.

Nintendos supplementary unit patient is a hint of what may come next gen.

Just need the portable console to be say PS4 level and the dock to be able to add say another 4-6tflops to the system. For that they need a fast port that can handle offloading the tasks to an external gpu or perhaps two portable gpus in the dock.

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

Well that is why some people expect Nintendo to release a HH only with more battery, a dock that increases power, a table only console with more power and no money wasted on the portable elements, etc... It may or may not happen (I think it would benefit Nintendo if the game runs perfectly in all modes with just a increase in IQ and FPS between versions).

You are missing the point.  When I play inside portably, it is usually not in my own house.  It is at work on my break, downtime at the beach house on vacation, in a hotel room on my family reunion trip in two weeks, or in the morning at my parents house while visiting family during a period when everyone is waking up or at night when everyone else is sleeping.

The Switch allows me to do these things without sacrificing my game time in any way.  Had I not had my Switch, I would lose a weekend of gaming in two weeks, this past weekend, or have nothing to do on vacation during my downtime.  You do not have to, "be outside" at all for portability to be a major factor in your gaming.

Since you are replying to a post I was replying to 2 other people what point of yours I'm missing?

The person to whom I replied was praising the great portability to use in house for those that have no use for it outside of house and that was my countering to.

I don't commute (have to drive), when I travel I bring my console with me, when I'm with family at most will do small cell game or more likely interact with them. That is why for me power is much more important than Portability while I completely understand why some people value Portability a lot (like in your case). But to purchase a portable or even a hybrid to take use of the 5 min dump in the bathroom or waiting for the microwave to heat a food is not a good investment on my opinion considering all the sacrifices that need to be made for the portability

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

Since you are replying to a post I was replying to 2 other people what point of yours I'm missing?

The person to whom I replied was praising the great portability to use in house for those that have no use for it outside of house and that was my countering to.

I don't commute (have to drive), when I travel I bring my console with me, when I'm with family at most will do small cell game or more likely interact with them. That is why for me power is much more important than Portability while I completely understand why some people value Portability a lot (like in your case). But to purchase a portable or even a hybrid to take use of the 5 min dump in the bathroom or waiting for the microwave to heat a food is not a good investment on my opinion considering all the sacrifices that need to be made for the portability

If that was your point, I agree.  If someone cannot just wait five minute for a hot pocket or taking a dump, they need to prioritize their time better lol.

I would be afraid I would get poo on my finger by some stupid fluke of a reason and then getting it on my Switch.  As unlikely as that is to happen, I still would not chance it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261