By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95

Power, I guess. I'm not really that fussed about having the most powerful hardware or the highest resolutions or whatever, that's why I've only upgraded my PC once in the 7 years I've had it (because my old graphics card literally couldn't run newer games, rather than to make games look better) and why I've no interest whatsoever in the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Portability means less than nothing to me though so power still wins. Portability is actually a negative as far as I'm concerned. I much prefer gaming on a proper TV or monitor with an actual controller in my hands (or mouse and keyboard for select games, controller is better for the vast majority though) and portables don't allow either of those things. People will probably say "but the Switch..." and yeah ok, maybe portability is a non-factor rather than a negative in that case, but that doesn't change anything for the Vita, the 3DS or even mobiles and it's still very much a negative for me on those.

Around the Network

Its not just about power though, Switch doesn't have the same software.

However, I don't want to play games like Doom and Wolf 2 with Switch's lower fidelity either.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I still lean fully towards game consoles since I have no need for a portable device.

I've got a gaming PC, so that covers the Power part.

However, the portability of the Switch would have meant nothing if it wouldn't also come with great games to play - which for me is way more important that the question of power or portability.

I'm not fussed over Power or Possibility. It's about the games. Without games, a console will fail.

Around the Network

I think portability is a little bit more important than power. But really the game library is the most important thing. Already I think the Switch has the best game library on the market.

It really depends on the game. Playing something like Puyo Puyo Tetris on a powerful stationary system is blasphemy over a portable system. I mean do you really need 1400P to play Tetris? I don't think so. Playing Tetris everywhere is a much better option. Some games need the extra power like some cinematic games and best played on a tv. Basically, if a game depends on power than it is best played on a system that uses it. Some games make short play sessions impossible and make portable games unplayable.

So yeah, depends on the game. I think AAA cinematic games are best saved a power system. Everything else portable is better.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

The Switch has been my primary console this year. I'm actually choosing to buy certain games on Switch over PS4. And it's not necessarily portability either. I just really like the Switch.

Games are overall more important than either speed or power. Switch gets most of the Japanese games I want (with some unfortunate exceptions), but one of the games I've been playing the most this year is the Arcade Archives version of Donkey Kong.

Most power possible in a 400-600 USD Playstation that is released about every 5-6 years is my choice.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I drive to work, and at work I work... play time outside of home is used on my cellphone for FF Exvius, Idle Poring and Pokemon Go.

So when I play I'm at home, so for me portability is a 0 value added, so home console all the way (no PC because in Brazil they are a lot more expensive and won't run PS exclusives on release date).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."