By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95

I still lean fully towards game consoles since I have no need for a portable device.

Around the Network

I've got a gaming PC, so that covers the Power part.

However, the portability of the Switch would have meant nothing if it wouldn't also come with great games to play - which for me is way more important that the question of power or portability.

I'm not fussed over Power or Possibility. It's about the games. Without games, a console will fail.

I think portability is a little bit more important than power. But really the game library is the most important thing. Already I think the Switch has the best game library on the market.

It really depends on the game. Playing something like Puyo Puyo Tetris on a powerful stationary system is blasphemy over a portable system. I mean do you really need 1400P to play Tetris? I don't think so. Playing Tetris everywhere is a much better option. Some games need the extra power like some cinematic games and best played on a tv. Basically, if a game depends on power than it is best played on a system that uses it. Some games make short play sessions impossible and make portable games unplayable.

So yeah, depends on the game. I think AAA cinematic games are best saved a power system. Everything else portable is better.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

The Switch has been my primary console this year. I'm actually choosing to buy certain games on Switch over PS4. And it's not necessarily portability either. I just really like the Switch.

Games are overall more important than either speed or power. Switch gets most of the Japanese games I want (with some unfortunate exceptions), but one of the games I've been playing the most this year is the Arcade Archives version of Donkey Kong.

Most power possible in a 400-600 USD Playstation that is released about every 5-6 years is my choice.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I drive to work, and at work I work... play time outside of home is used on my cellphone for FF Exvius, Idle Poring and Pokemon Go.

So when I play I'm at home, so for me portability is a 0 value added, so home console all the way (no PC because in Brazil they are a lot more expensive and won't run PS exclusives on release date).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Shiken said:

I think you are reading WAY to much into a single word.  XD

I'm really not though, lol. Reading into something implies it's an interpretation. It isn't an interpretation, I'm just giving you some friendly advice, you are using the word "preference" wrong, factually. You can say you like both sides of the same coin equally, but you can't say you prefer both. 

He could say he favor having both in the same package though.

My gaming habits have changed considerably, multiple times, throughout my life. My dad was a gamer from the very beginning, so I've used every major system since Atari 2600, and I've owned all but a couple of them. At some points, most of my time was spent on handheld devices. That's happened maybe 4 to 5 times, for a year or two. The rest of the time I've been console-first.

Right now, I'm in a console-first period. I have been for a while, actually. My last handheld focused period ended around the time I got my WiiU. Prior to that, I was mostly playing on 3DS. Prior to 3DS, I was gaming mostly on Wii and 360. Prior to that, it was DS, which came after my GBA period. Right now, it is is PS4 Pro and Xbone mostly. I own a Switch, and I play it when I'm traveling, or when a can't-miss game launches (Odyssey was the last game I put much time into on Switch). But, since I have a gaming setup in my basement, and I'm home most of the time, I am very much console focused right now. So, given the choice to buy a game on Switch or PSbone, I'll almost certainly choose PSbone (unless a vacation is coming soon, or something like that). I just don't see a reason to sacrifice performance for portability at this point.

I have a baby on the way now. I'm thinking this may bring about a change in my gaming habits once again. Maybe I'll want to play on Switch in handheld mode, so the baby can sleep in the same room as me without the light of TV blasting in his/her face. Or, maybe my basement gaming room (with the consoles) will become an even more important oasis, where I run to when I need a break from the kid.

Anyway, the tl;dr version is that I favor whichever factors work for me at a given point in my life. Today that means more power. Maybe next year it will mean more portability.