By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portability or Power?

Portability or Power?

Switch's portability is f... 18 18.95%

Home consoles all the way... 33 34.74%

I lean toward portability, but I like both. 13 13.68%

I lean toward graphics an... 23 24.21%

PC MASTER RACE FTW!!! (n... 8 8.42%

Total:95

Not a big portable gamer anymore so i guess power.But games are more important, i go where they are

Last edited by melbye - on 21 July 2018

Around the Network

I wouldn't say that either is a top priority but that I value all the sum benefits of a PC/Home console experience over portability without question.

Improved hardware, comfort, better controls, game variety and availability, better prices--for me, they all trump a feature that I do not want or need but which still necessitates sacrifices in other areas.

As far as the games themselves, 3rd party is far more important to me than any individual 1st party library. That factor alone typically means Nintendo platforms are, at best, a second or third option for me.

Also, it seems forum pages are kind of broken for me. Hm.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Shiken said:

Sure I can.  It depends on the game in question and if I am traveling or not.  Right now, I favor Switch as I am traveling over the next few weeks.  But when God of War came out, I favored my PS4 as I was at home most of the time.

I lean towards portability however because more often than not, the Hybrid nature of the Switch gives me more overall playtime without the hassle of remote play.

What you talk about in the first paragraph is not really a preference, it's the lack of one. Depending on the game and what system it releases on, you play it on one console or another. That's not a preference, that's the lack of one. 

Also God of War isn't a good example, you can't play it on a viable portable. You said it yourself, the Vita streaming doesn't work well for you.

Edit: Leaning towards portability IS a preference because that means in your general gaming life you prefer one solution over another. 

I think you are reading WAY to much into a single word.  XD

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

I think you are reading WAY to much into a single word.  XD

I'm really not though, lol. Reading into something implies it's an interpretation. It isn't an interpretation, I'm just giving you some friendly advice, you are using the word "preference" wrong, factually. You can say you like both sides of the same coin equally, but you can't say you prefer both. 

I prefer playing games on my TV I don't like playing things handheld. I like the convenience of something being portable but I play my switch entirely docked, and I use my Vita TV way more than my regular Vita.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Ganoncrotch said:
I can safely say for me over my last year of gaming, Portability trumps all, play on the Switch more than either my consoles or PC.

I have been gaming exclusively on Switch from the day it launched to when God of War came out.  Since then I have played...

God of War

Horizon Zero Dawn

Resident Evil 7

Dragonball FighterZ

...However with there being quite a few newer 3rd party ports out now or coming very shortly, Smash, Mario Party (play with family), Xenoblade Torna, and Octopath Traveler...I am finding myself favkring Switch again.  I did a comparison of game time and I get so much more playing at home AND on the go.  Made me rethink a few things I recently stated not long ago.

The way I looked at it was % of games I've bought that I've actually finished

On the Switch right now I've just passed the 80 games mark, but of those I can say I have completed around 20 titles (100% done everything in them.... far beyond that in some cases) which means of my games I have a 25% completion rate and many more titles on the go towards that point.

On my ps4 from picking up far too many games in the systems first year and from psn+ I think I have over 250 titles on my psn account for it... of those I would wager that I have actually 100%'d far less than 20 games which means a completion rate of far less than 10%

From that fact I gauge that a game on the Switch is 2.5x more likely to actually get played through than its ps4 counterpart because of the ability to pick it up and take it with me if I'm going somewhere as well as the dock connected to my projector in the sitting room just like my PS4 is, but... that means that if a game is in the region of double the cost on the Switch than the ps4, I will still likely get more value out of buying it on the Nintendo machine, ie Yooka Laylee on the PS4 was €15 recently in a psn sale, the Switch version was €30 but with a 2.5x higher chance of being played I think that 30 will more likely end up as being hours of fun than the cheaper PS4 option

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Power. I rather be able to play all of the current gen games in the comfort of my home. I just bring a book with me if I have sit somewhere for extended periods. Portability is a overrated feature. If others like it, so be it but I'm not gonna play along with acting like it's great.

Aeolus451 said:
Power. I rather be able to play all of the current gen games in the comfort of my home. I just bring a book with me if I have sit somewhere for extended periods. Portability is a overrated feature. If others like it, so be it but I'm not gonna play along with acting like it's great.

No acting involved, it IS great.  It just is not your thing and that is fine as well.  ;)

Ganoncrotch said:
Shiken said:

I have been gaming exclusively on Switch from the day it launched to when God of War came out.  Since then I have played...

God of War

Horizon Zero Dawn

Resident Evil 7

Dragonball FighterZ

...However with there being quite a few newer 3rd party ports out now or coming very shortly, Smash, Mario Party (play with family), Xenoblade Torna, and Octopath Traveler...I am finding myself favkring Switch again.  I did a comparison of game time and I get so much more playing at home AND on the go.  Made me rethink a few things I recently stated not long ago.

On the Switch right now I've just passed the 80 games mark, but of those I can say I have completed around 20 titles (100% done everything in them.... far beyond that in some cases) which means of my games I have a 25% completion rate and many more titles on the go towards that point.

On my ps4 from picking up far too many games in the systems first year and from psn+ I think I have over 250 titles on my psn account for it... of those I would wager that I have actually 100%'d far less than 20 games which means a completion rate of far less than 10%

From that fact I gauge that a game on the Switch is 2.5x more likely to actually get played through than its ps4 counterpart because of the ability to pick it up and take it with me if I'm going somewhere as well as the dock connected to my projector in the sitting room just like my PS4 is, but... that means that if a game is in the region of double the cost on the Switch than the ps4, I will still likely get more value out of buying it on the Nintendo machine, ie Yooka Laylee on the PS4 was €15 recently in a psn sale, the Switch version was €30 but with a 2.5x higher chance of being played I think that 30 will more likely end up as being hours of fun than the cheaper PS4 option

Yeah, I feel ya.  I cannot gauge myself the same way as I only play one single player game at any given time.  I like to at least complete the main story and side content to my satisfaction before starting another game.  Multiplayer is a bit different, but there is less story involved in those games.

So when God of War came out, it was all I played until I got the plat.  When Breath of the Wild came out, I played 130 hours before even touching another single player game.  My general rule is if I start it, I finish it.  So my total hours of available playtime is what dictates my choice.

Shiken said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yeah, I feel ya.  I cannot gauge myself the same way as I only play one single player game at any given time.  I like to at least complete the main story and side content to my satisfaction before starting another game.  Multiplayer is a bit different, but there is less story involved in those games.

So when God of War came out, it was all I played until I got the plat.  When Breath of the Wild came out, I played 130 hours before even touching another single player game.  My general rule is if I start it, I finish it.  So my total hours of available playtime is what dictates my choice.

I do very similar for games which lock me in, Resident Evil Rev 2 was one that had me hooked but I do love the "last time on resident evil" which brings you up to date if you stop playing for a day or so and it keeps you informed of the previous plot points which are going to come up in the coming area.

Breath of the Wild got me hooked for 320 hours, even as a €60 game (bought the dlc not to play it but just to give them another 20 for a masterpiece game) but yeah that's still coming in at around 20c per hour of game.

Darksiders warmaster edition was for sale on the ps4 last month, it cost around a fiver if I recall, bought that of course as it's really great game, great value... played it for exactly 0 hours, so the same calculation brings up an error on a calculator for value, as you cannot divide the cost by zero hours of playtime.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive