By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wolfenstein 2 on Switch is a good product if you don't care about resolution...

KBG29 said:
Medisti said:

I wonder how much a chipset like that in a tablet form-factor would cost, if it's possible at all? Power draw a is a huge concern, considering the console depends on a battery in portable mode.

All depends on just what we get with next gen consoles. If we end up with 6 Core Ryzen, 12TFLOP Navi, and 16GB GDDR, then there will be no issue at all making a Portable verision. If we end up with something like 12 Core Ryzen, 18TFLOPs Navi, and 32GB GDDR, then it may be a bit more of a stretch. Just depends on how Sony/Microsoft want to flesh out their ecosystems.

I kinda hope we get a Mobile with 6 Core Ryzen, 3 TFLOPs Navi, and 8GB HBM aiming for 720 -1080p. Then a Base console with 6/12/16GDDR shooting for 1440p, and finally a high end model 12/18/32GDDR aiming for 4K.

Again, what about the power draw? Battery tech hasn't improved too much lately, and the breakthroughs that have happened aren't in consumer products yet. It's easy to say "Oh sure, just throw this chip into a Switch 2, 4k 60fps portably," but the reality is far more complicated than that.

Around the Network

By looking at the replies from this thread and the locked one is that in the end what upset people the most isnt the framerate or resolution of the game but instead that people can actually enjoy the game and have zero problems with it while playing it on the Switch.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

PwerlvlAmy said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well from the start we knew this engine works on Switch, the engine is scalable, and they could drop settings for lower end specs.

The question wasn't really could Switch do it, but what could they accomplish and where would they compromise. I did not anticipate such significant resolution drops, it might be the worst in that department.

I have zero problems with what's being produced. Panic Button did a great job and can't wait to see what they master next on the Switch. Hopefully their announcement they've been teasing has something switch related tied to it.

Given they work so closely with Bethesda and id and know so much about this engine, its time they make their own games... Heretic and Hexen reboots!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Naum said:
By looking at the replies from this thread and the locked one is that in the end what upset people the most isnt the framerate or resolution of the game but instead that people can actually enjoy the game and have zero problems with it while playing it on the Switch.

"It hurts me to my very core that someone can play a game on this system when I think of my x" screen that I play games on...."

I'm like... time to hit my Switches Fortnite Icon and get back into a game....

Nothing beats playing games on a 130" Screen imo, regardless of the resolution. But then again, I grew up playing 4 player Goldeneye at about 10fps on a 16" portable, I think going through things like that hardened me to just enjoy gaming, no matter how big or small, just love the hobby for all it gives.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Naum said:

Precisely.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

I have zero problems with what's being produced. Panic Button did a great job and can't wait to see what they master next on the Switch. Hopefully their announcement they've been teasing has something switch related tied to it.

Given they work so closely with Bethesda and id and know so much about this engine, its time they make their own games... Heretic and Hexen reboots!

I bet they will make their own game eventually. Hell what if their announcement they have planned is exactly for that? xD

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Medisti said:
KBG29 said:

All depends on just what we get with next gen consoles. If we end up with 6 Core Ryzen, 12TFLOP Navi, and 16GB GDDR, then there will be no issue at all making a Portable verision. If we end up with something like 12 Core Ryzen, 18TFLOPs Navi, and 32GB GDDR, then it may be a bit more of a stretch. Just depends on how Sony/Microsoft want to flesh out their ecosystems.

I kinda hope we get a Mobile with 6 Core Ryzen, 3 TFLOPs Navi, and 8GB HBM aiming for 720 -1080p. Then a Base console with 6/12/16GDDR shooting for 1440p, and finally a high end model 12/18/32GDDR aiming for 4K.

Again, what about the power draw? Battery tech hasn't improved too much lately, and the breakthroughs that have happened aren't in consumer products yet. It's easy to say "Oh sure, just throw this chip into a Switch 2, 4k 60fps portably," but the reality is far more complicated than that.

I am considering battery draw, and where things are projecting for chips coming in 2019 - 2021. There is no way a mobile form factor device is going to play next gen games at 4K/60, but a mobile device doesn't need to. A device with a 5 - 6" screen needs to be able to run at a stable 720p, and the IQ will be excellent. On the 7nm process the AMD layout I am suggesting should be possible in the same power window as Switch right now. That will improve even more with 7nm+. I have no doubt Nvidia is capable of matching or exceeding these results. 

Nintendo should be able to launch a Switch 2 in 2021, that is comfortably capable of playing 720p versions of PS5/XB4 games, while having equal or better battery life to the current Switch. I think with next gen Switch, Nintendo will implement their supplemental GPU power dock design, we have seen, which will allow them to hit 4K while docked for those that want it. I believe Switch 2 will have a Basic dock model, and a Pro dock model to reach more consumers. I don't think Nintendo has to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft in the power race, but they do need to stay current.

I think the Switch was a great rebound for Nintendo, and I am really enjoying it. There first party titles have been excellent, and it offers just enough to give Switch only owners an option to play current gen titles. Next gen, they should be in position, to have a competitive platform from all angles, so Wolfenstein 3 can be a much less compromised expereince on their platform.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Seems a bit cherry picked, as the actual article is quite praising of Panic buttons efforts

KBG29 said:
Medisti said:

I am considering battery draw, and where things are projecting for chips coming in 2019 - 2021. There is no way a mobile form factor device is going to play next gen games at 4K/60, but a mobile device doesn't need to. A device with a 5 - 6" screen needs to be able to run at a stable 720p, and the IQ will be excellent. On the 7nm process the AMD layout I am suggesting should be possible in the same power window as Switch right now. That will improve even more with 7nm+. I have no doubt Nvidia is capable of matching or exceeding these results. 

Nintendo should be able to launch a Switch 2 in 2021, that is comfortably capable of playing 720p versions of PS5/XB4 games, while having equal or better battery life to the current Switch. I think with next gen Switch, Nintendo will implement their supplemental GPU power dock design, we have seen, which will allow them to hit 4K while docked for those that want it. I believe Switch 2 will have a Basic dock model, and a Pro dock model to reach more consumers. I don't think Nintendo has to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft in the power race, but they do need to stay current.

I think the Switch was a great rebound for Nintendo, and I am really enjoying it. There first party titles have been excellent, and it offers just enough to give Switch only owners an option to play current gen titles. Next gen, they should be in position, to have a competitive platform from all angles, so Wolfenstein 3 can be a much less compromised expereince on their platform.

The thing is though, these ports and such that the Switch has gotten in the first year and a half of its life have kept the 17m+ people who got the Switch really happy for that time period, keep in mind that it's possible gamers just had a gap in their time/pocket for the device exactly the way it is now and aren't really put off by the Sub HD graphical output of it, I know more power opens up more doors in terms of making it easier for companies to port a more complete version of a game to the system, but not since the Sega Nomad have we gotten a handheld type machine which is capable of playing these sort of full AAA titles on the go in any real capacity at all.

I just think that when it comes to options to play these games on the big screen gamers have the option to get out an X1X or a PS4P and play them at higher resolution than Switch, heck if all people wanted was the best resolution for all their games all we would see in the charts would be 100% of consoles being sold be the X1X or else no console at all since all gamers would be using an i9 with a 1080ti in it, that's not the world we live in though, the reality is that most powerful console out there now is likely to be making up 5-10% of the weekly sales of the X1 or in numbers terms around 4-8k per week in comparison to the 480k combined PS4's, Switch and standard X1 systems which sell. When you look at the numbers of what actually sells each week, that means that somewhere in the region of 1-2% of gamers (console) opt for the most powerful choice to play their games on.

I'm not contesting that you have a point with the advancement in hardware comes with the possibility for the addition of GPUs in the dock and such for those who really want that UHD experience, all I'm saying is you should look at the data we have on the sales right now and see exactly what % of the market is going out to buy that product and how many in the real world are happy to be able to fight their way out of Hell or destroy the Fuhrer on the go, even at sub hd/30fps.

(imagine being able to connect one of these to any console, the Jaguar wouldn't know what to do with it, but the tech is there to allow this sort of addition if people have the money to spend https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-Nvidia-Gaming-External-Graphics/dp/B076XVLWHM/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076XVLWHM&pd_rd_r=9aed9f8e-7d06-11e8-9757-4d6404bb6412&pd_rd_w=bqpaY&pd_rd_wg=wLyZx&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=5179604776422437276&pf_rd_r=1AZGSGEF0NV1FT0MJAD2&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=1AZGSGEF0NV1FT0MJAD2 )

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
KBG29 said:

The thing is though, these ports and such that the Switch has gotten in the first year and a half of its life have kept the 17m+ people who got the Switch really happy for that time period, keep in mind that it's possible gamers just had a gap in their time/pocket for the device exactly the way it is now and aren't really put off by the Sub HD graphical output of it, I know more power opens up more doors in terms of making it easier for companies to port a more complete version of a game to the system, but not since the Sega Nomad have we gotten a handheld type machine which is capable of playing these sort of full AAA titles on the go in any real capacity at all.

I just think that when it comes to options to play these games on the big screen gamers have the option to get out an X1X or a PS4P and play them at higher resolution than Switch, heck if all people wanted was the best resolution for all their games all we would see in the charts would be 100% of consoles being sold be the X1X or else no console at all since all gamers would be using an i9 with a 1080ti in it, that's not the world we live in though, the reality is that most powerful console out there now is likely to be making up 5-10% of the weekly sales of the X1 or in numbers terms around 4-8k per week in comparison to the 480k combined PS4's, Switch and standard X1 systems which sell. When you look at the numbers of what actually sells each week, that means that somewhere in the region of 1-2% of gamers (console) opt for the most powerful choice to play their games on.

I'm not contesting that you have a point with the advancement in hardware comes with the possibility for the addition of GPUs in the dock and such for those who really want that UHD experience, all I'm saying is you should look at the data we have on the sales right now and see exactly what % of the market is going out to buy that product and how many in the real world are happy to be able to fight their way out of Hell or destroy the Fuhrer on the go, even at sub hd/30fps.

(imagine being able to connect one of these to any console, the Jaguar wouldn't know what to do with it, but the tech is there to allow this sort of addition if people have the money to spend https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-Nvidia-Gaming-External-Graphics/dp/B076XVLWHM/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076XVLWHM&pd_rd_r=9aed9f8e-7d06-11e8-9757-4d6404bb6412&pd_rd_w=bqpaY&pd_rd_wg=wLyZx&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=5179604776422437276&pf_rd_r=1AZGSGEF0NV1FT0MJAD2&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=1AZGSGEF0NV1FT0MJAD2 )

To KBG29I should point out, there's no way a Switch 2 (or whatever the successor is) will launch in 2021. A four year cycle for the Switch? Wii U got a four and a half year cycle and it was an unmitigated failure. Not counting refreshes, I don't expect to see the Switch successor until at least 2023. An upgraded dock is very possible, though. Not to mention, Nintendo has almost never used "next-gen" materials. The X1 had been around for awhile before it was in the Switch. If you expect them to do that in 2021 with a Switch 2, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

To Ganoncrotch: the strongest console has rarely won the console wars. PS4 is winning, but it isn't just because of power. Microsoft put their foot in it so hard in 2012 that PS4 would be winning even if the specs were reversed.