By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wolfenstein 2 on Switch is a good product if you don't care about resolution...

I for my part am happy that we got such ports at all on Nintendo Switch. More important than resolution, effects and framerates is how well they sell on Nintendo Switch. If they sell good enough we will have other ports in the future. I think Doom and L.A. Noire did ok so far, Skyrim sold over 1 million incl. digital sales, that's a pretty good number.

I wonder what Nintendo's business plan was for 3rd parties. Assuming that the Nintendo Switch will do well, what kind of support did they expect from thirds? Did they really think that it will get lots of big budget ports or did they banking completely on indies only? They knew that the Nintendo Switch was considerably less powerful than Xbox One and PS4, so I don't really think that they had big budget titles in mind when thinking on thirds. I think they're banking on partnerships with Nintendo IP's in it like the successful Mario + Rabbits. I strongly think we will see more of those partnerships in the future, not just with Ubisoft. How about a Call of Duty where Samus Aran is selectable? Or a whole mini-story part with her?

Around the Network

Now, if they could just figure out how to make the games smaller. My 240GB card didn't last nearly as long as I thought it would. I wanted to go full digital but games like this, NBA 2K18, WWE 2K18 and others are ruthless in their consumption of storage space!

It looks awesome really, everytime I see it I am surprised, but just don't put it next to the PS4 or XBOX1...The gap is too much.

It is certainly ok for casual gaming but that's all..As a speedrunner I would never touch the ~28 fps version of the switch.

This port has acheived 1 thing only for me : it answered this question by a yes :

"can the Switch perform significantly better than the XBOX360 ?"

Amnesia said:

"can the Switch perform significantly better than the XBOX360 ?"

I knew that before any games needed to be released to demonstrate that. ;)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

captain carot said:
Thing is that Wolfenstein is far from terrible or not playable. Everyone would prefer ifd it didn't get as blurry as it can get, but basically that's it.

Agree, most people here just commenting numbers (in this case resolution).

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
captain carot said:
Thing is that Wolfenstein is far from terrible or not playable. Everyone would prefer ifd it didn't get as blurry as it can get, but basically that's it.

Well, resolution is indeed really, really, really low.

My main issue with this sort of ports is praise that Panic Button gets for them, when it, more or less, boils down to half the frame rate, lower resolution, and then start turning stuff off and optimizing thing or two. I have no doubt they actually know their job and that they could've actually made the game still look good by doing better otpimizations and cutting other stuff before resolution, but I think that Bethesda (or Zenimax, whoever is paying for port) were just being cheap about it.

Eventually, people vote with their money, so whether is someone bothered with resolution and this approach to porting is up to them, but this is the reason why I don't find Doom and W2 ports worth the praise they're getting.

"Wolfenstein II is a great product if you value portability and options more than resolution"

I fixed the title for you.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

HoloDust said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well, resolution is indeed really, really, really low.

My main issue with this sort of ports is praise that Panic Button gets for them, when it, more or less, boils down to half the frame rate, lower resolution, and then start turning stuff off and optimizing thing or two. I have no doubt they actually know their job and that they could've actually made the game still look good by doing better otpimizations and cutting other stuff before resolution, but I think that Bethesda (or Zenimax, whoever is paying for port) were just being cheap about it.

Eventually, people vote with their money, so whether is someone bothered with resolution and this approach to porting is up to them, but this is the reason why I don't find Doom and W2 ports worth the praise they're getting.

Yes, low end of resolution is really low and that's why people saying its blurry looking game, but we have narrative like game all the time runs at 360p.

I also think that people maybe gaving Panic Button too much credit for this ports, I mean they are good, but dont seems "incredible port" to me, but I understand why people saying that, for instance, Wolfenstein 2 outside resolution looks almost completely identical compared to X1 version with almost all graphics features and effects presented runing at 10W devaice. I personaly would love some of those effect or features turn for gaining higher resolution.

I think they are good ports, but I dont think they are bests ports ever, incredible, or similar.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 05 July 2018

the title is one hell of a marketing campaign for switch. lol

HoloDust said:

My main issue with this sort of ports is praise that Panic Button gets for them, when it, more or less, boils down to half the frame rate, lower resolution, and then start turning stuff off and optimizing thing or two. I have no doubt they actually know their job and that they could've actually made the game still look good by doing better otpimizations and cutting other stuff before resolution

The whole lighting of id tech 6 seems to be very demanding. It might have been the best option to get higher resoultion but would totally change the look of Wolfenstein 2. For the most part Panic Button cut down the right stuff to the degree Switch can handle it. To me the real question is, could you get the same lighting, textures, particle effects etc. running with a higher resolution on Switch? Not going below 480p in mobile mode would be totally enough then.