By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wolfenstein 2 on Switch is a good product if you don't care about resolution...

The undocked performance and quality should have been compared with other mobile options.

According to "LowSpecGamer" that game wouldn't even run on many UltraBooks, because many of them aren't Vulkan compatible. And his performance boost by removing shadows looks very ugly:

View on YouTube

On the other hand, with the right settings it looks better on the GPD Win 2 than on the undocked Switch due to the higher resolution:

View on YouTube

If the Switch version had some optional FX to turn off in favor of the resolution, it could help many issues.

Around the Network
Conina said:

The undocked performance and quality should have been compared with other mobile options.

According to "LowSpecGamer" that game wouldn't even run on many UltraBooks, because many of them aren't Vulkan compatible. And his performance boost by removing shadows looks very ugly:

View on YouTube

On the other hand, with the right settings it looks better on the GPD Win 2 than on the undocked Switch due to the higher resolution:

View on YouTube

If the Switch version had some optional FX to turn off in favor of the resolution, it could help many issues.

Oh nice the GPDWin2. How much does that thing cost?

As with Doom port, I think they went too far in "turn down resolution until it works" direction. It really looks terribly blurry.
I realize that some other approach would be more costly, but I don't feel this is the right way to port games.

OTBWY said:

It's quite pricey, on amazon at £714.95 (on sale from £799) https://www.amazon.co.uk/GPD-LPDDR3-1866-Dual-Band-Bluetooth-Touchscreen/dp/B07CJ2N8BC 

Naum said:
By looking at the replies from this thread and the locked one is that in the end what upset people the most isnt the framerate or resolution of the game but instead that people can actually enjoy the game and have zero problems with it while playing it on the Switch.

Pretty much. Hell he even admitted the xbox one version wasa bit blury compared to the xbox one x

Hell why not throw up 8K images of PC version?

No one buying it on Switch gives a fuck about resolution, just like they didn't give a fuck about it on 3DS or VITA. If they cared they buy it on another system. This is common sense.

But again another not so clever bash thread at the switch.

Around the Network
Green098 said:
OTBWY said:

It's quite pricey, on amazon at £714.95 (on sale from £799) https://www.amazon.co.uk/GPD-LPDDR3-1866-Dual-Band-Bluetooth-Touchscreen/dp/B07CJ2N8BC 

Damn. I guess the comparison kind of falls flat when taking that into account. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
So in portable mode you get resolutions equal to PS2 games? Ok.

Screenshot comparison is a big difference, but we're comparing 720p with 4k. Of course it's going to look hilariously different!

No. Even in docked mode the Res drops to 360p at times. 

mjk45 said:
The best looking portable FPS I recall was Killzone Mercenary for Vita it looked good on the original oled screen running in Vita's native res , so I wouldn't mind seeing how the more demanding Wolfenstein on Switch plays and compares.

Killzone: Mercenary runs at a higher resolution. Wolfenstein 2 has more detail. I'd still say Wolfenstein would look better as Killzone: Mercenary is like a PS3 game.

Cobretti2 said:

Why don't you change the title to

Wolfenstein 2 on Switch, XBOX One, PS4 and PS4 Pro is a good product if you don't care about resolution?

Comparing a 720p shot to a 4K XBOX ONE X shot is the most loaded post I have seen on here.

Hell if you care about resolution so much fork out the cash for a high end PC and play it at 8K and stop being a pretender that 4K is were it's at.

PC can go farther than 8k though.
Only your wallet is the real limit.

Ganoncrotch said:

It looks good on that small QHD screen indeed, but if you look at the actual game on a PC monitor at any sort of large res it really shows just how little power was in the Vita in comparison to the Switch, again this looked beautiful at the time but now after playing through Doom2016 on a mobile console it does look dated

The Vita didn't have a QHD/Quad-HD display?
It had a qHD display or Quarter-HD display. ;)

I know I know. Go away and all that. :P

Mr Puggsly said:
sc94597 said:
Hey if people buy and enjoy it, I don't see any harm. Multiple people have commented that the game looks good in handheld and the Digital Foundry guy said it is the best looking mobile shooter.

I am an image quality whore, so I will wait until the price drops or buy the PC version. But I enjoyed Doom on Switch, even after playing the PC version, so maybe I will like this.

Eh, I'd argue Doom looks better. The asset quality is good but its being hidden in the blurry low resolution.

Wolfenstine 2 was arguably the better game though, a more satisfying campaign and large levels. So Wolf 2 is at least the most ambitious shooter on the platform.

Doom is more pleasing on the eye, partly thanks to it's aesthetics.
But... Wolfenstein 2 is technically doing more, there is many more demanding dynamic effects in play... It's an impressive achievement with what they have accomplished.

Mr Puggsly said:

Eh... no. The resolution dips below PS2. Also seems to stay below PS2 often in portable mode.

For some reason though modern games just look really odd in low resolutions. Maybe the effects and focus on tiny details don't translate well to 360p-480p, I can't explain it.

Modern games have allot more "Clutter" in a scene, older games would leverage allot more flat, dull, plain surfaces which was okay at lower resolutions.

Mr Puggsly said:

I can't help but think the Call of Duty games on Wii. They made serious visual compromises to bring several CoD games to Wii, it really looked like PS2 in comparison. With Wolf 2 though, it seems like they really wanted to achieve a similar visual fidelity albeit at lower settings. It kinda looks like the 8th gen version but a really muddy version.

I don't feel like this is a game that utilizes the Switch well. It feels more like they just scaled it down until it worked well enough.

The thing to keep in mind is that the Wii actually had the graphical feature set of 6th gen hardware. The Switch has the same graphical feature set as the 8th gen consoles.

Otter said:
Maybe my eyes are different, but your eyes adjust to resolution after a while. Like have none of you gone back to play a retro game during the HD era?

Everyone is different. Your likes will be someone elses dislikes and so on.
I have always been a pro-resolution supporter, the bigger, the better, but that is the PC gamer inside of me.

Today I did try an original Xbox game on my original Xbox. It was a shocking experience.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I find the cinematic elements more annoying than the resolution actually. Loving the setting though.