By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

Sony should definitely let people have their content that they paid/earned across all platforms. It's crappy of them not to. At the same time I'm having a hard time relating cause I find Fortnite extremely overrated. I've seen people claiming to sell their system over this. No offense I get why people are a little hot under the collar, but that's beyond ridiculous. Seriously, selling your system over one game that's free to play and doesn't require you to pay anything...I mean thats a little extreme.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Sony is 100% responsible for this and I can't believe people have the courage to defend this anti-consumer behaviour. Sony can do no wrong aye? Cause they are dominating right? Christ.

It's the other way around for me. I can't believe people are getting so bent out of shape over and over reacting something so benign. 

Hiku said:
KLAMarine said:

I just cannot fathom why Epic Games would gimp someone's account like this. If I were EG, I would want an account to be as portable and accessible as possible on as many platforms as possible so people play longer and buy virtual dollars as long as possible.

I could be wrong but I suspect Sony has something to do with it. Perhaps it's incompetence on EG's part? I don't know but the "associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Switch" really sticks out to me...

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/12/17453978/this-fortnite-account-is-associated-with-a-platform-which-does-not-allow-it-to-operate-on-switch

Why would Sony block Fortnite accounts from PS4 though?

That doesn't make sense.
The article says that if you try to use an account that was first used on Switch, it gets locked out from PS4.

If you’ve played on Switch, the PS4 version will give you this error message: “The Epic Account you tried to link can not play on this platform.”

This problem appears to go both ways.
If Sony is the suspect for blocking PS4-Fortnite accounts from Switch, then Nintendo would be the suspect of blocking Switch-Fortnite accounts on PS4.

From the sound of it I don't think either one is doing that.

From the looks of it, Sony is blocking out in-game transactions on other platforms and blocks transactions made on PSN to be used on other platforms. Using the same account between Xbox and Switch is fine. It's only when Playstation gets in the mix, that problems occur.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Firefoxie said:
Sony should definitely let people have their content that they paid/earned across all platforms. It's crappy of them not to. At the same time I'm having a hard time relating cause I find Fortnite extremely overrated. I've seen people claiming to sell their system over this. No offense I get why people are a little hot under the collar, but that's beyond ridiculous. Seriously, selling your system over one game that's free to play and doesn't require you to pay anything...I mean thats a little extreme.

I think that there's alot overreaction to something that could be any of the 3's fault.

Aeolus451 said:
Firefoxie said:

I think that there's alot overreaction to something that could be any of the 3's fault.

Even if it's sony, it's a nothing burger. This is like asking Canada to allow us mine their resources for free 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Stuart23 said:

Interesting to say that, because this is the kind of move that actually pushes me to support the rivals more. This makes me more inclined to go play this game on Xbox or Nintendo instead, and makes me way less enthusiastic to get the microtransactions on their store too.

Ps4 is dominating the market because it has the best games. If you want to play its lesser rivals over cross play then be my guest. 

You could pick reasons not to support their rivals if you wanted too. 

Nintendo: far weaker graphics and performance for games in general, much smaller library and far weaker online offering. 

Microsoft: extremely weak first party offering. Much smaller player base. 

Sony will continue to dominate sales whether this cross play thing turns off a few players or not. If anything they gain more then they lose because a lot of people will buy the ps4 to play with their friends.

Latest weekly sales on vgchartz

Ps4 225k

Xbox 75k

If anything the gap will only get bigger. 

Instead of going to the console wars route,please go back and notice how I was talking about this game in specific. Yeah,it does not make me want to play this game on PS ever in fear of locking my account,doing stuff like this to force on only playing on their console actually makes me NOT want to play this game on their console at all but to use the consoles of the rivals.

Also,everyone have their gaming preferences,but to say Sony have the free pass to screw consumers because they're on top is sad. Is this how that loot box drama started.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Aeolus451 said:
Firefoxie said:

Except it's quite clear which one of the 3 is at fault here.

Maxosaurus-rex said:
Aeolus451 said:

Even if it's sony, it's a nothing burger. This is like asking Canada to allow us mine their resources for free 

Exactly. It's most likely the dev's fault.

forest-spirit said:
Aeolus451 said:

There was no issues between ms, sony and pc on this before nintendo got involved.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
irstupid said:

Here are the messages you get when you try to log into an Xbox or a Switch, with and account that logged into PS4.

"This Fornite account is associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Xbox. Neither the Fortnite website or Epic Customer Service are able to change this. To Play Fortnite on Xbox, please create a new account."

or

"This Fornite account is associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Switch. Neither the Fortnite website or Epic Customer Service are able to change this. To Play Fortnite on Switch, please create a new account."

The general consensus across the entire internet is that it is Sony's fault. The only time the issue ever comes up is if someone tries using an account that has logged into a PS4 at some point. Never when dealing with any other system, PC, phone, ect.

Even if it's Sony's fault, Sony has NO POWER WHATSOEVER on what happens on a Switch or an Xbox so at best Sony asked Nintendo and Microsoft to block Fortnite accounts created on PS4 and both Nintendo and Microsoft are then accomplices to this. So worst case scenario all 3 brands are just as guilty, though Sony could be the one asking for this cause we all know Sony does not want to go for cross-platform gaming.

Saying that Sony blocks an account on Switch for Fortnite sounds as ludicrous as saying that Sony blocks Forza on Xbox should Forza not work on Xbox for some reason. I could conceive this if Fortnite was a Sony IP, but it's not so again only way to get this blocking to work is with the complicity of both Microsoft and Nintendo... And also the owners of the Fortnite IP must be accomplices.

The other way around would make more sense: Someone creating an account on Switch for fortnite would see it not work on Sony cause Sony can block anything it wants on Sony hardware, obviously but Whatever machine something is blocked on is THAT machine's fault primarily.

Sony has all the power in the world to lay out the rules for releasing a game on their platform.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Aeolus451 said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Exactly. It's most likely the dev's fault.

forest-spirit said:

There was no issues between ms, sony and pc on this before nintendo got involved.

This isn't actually something new, the issue already existed between Xbone and PS4. But it resurfaced now that Fortnite was released on the Switch and players who'd ever used their accounts on a Sony system were met with a failed login screen and the realisation that their accounts were blocked from being used on Switch (in addition to Xbone) systems.

Bear in mind that this issue does not exist when moving between Xbone and Switch.