By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

JRPGfan said:
Just dont play it on the Switch PC XBO  PS4? done.

Corrected

Around the Network
Hiku said:

You probably should also point out to him that the opposite does seem to occur, since that's what he asked.
If you played Fortnite on PS4 and then use that account on Switch, it will no longer work on PS4.

I don't see why Sony would block PS4 players from playing on PS4 again. Even though the common denominator seems to be PSN here, that one doesn't make sense to me.

You won't be able to use that account on Switch. Sony isn't 'blocking PS4 players from playing on PS4 again' because they won't let you 'leave' in the first place. Instead of one PS4/XB1/PC/Mobile ecosystem, Sony forced a split into PS4/PC/Mob and XB/PC/Mob. Switch could in theory have had it's own Switch/PC/Mob ecosystem but they joined the XB ecosystem. The option to join the Sony ecosystem was never on the table.

I can only see 3 possible solutions.

- Sony allows cross-platform leading to one ecosystem.

- Epic allows purchased content to be Switched from the PS4 ecosystem to the XB/Switch/PC/Mob ecosystem.

- PS4 gets put on their own (no PC/Mob cross plat) and items are cloned to the XB/Switch/PC/Mob ecosystem.

I'd love to know if Epic, MS and Nintendo knew this was coming. Nice E3 surprise for Sony.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Kerotan said:
xMetroid said:

Yea that's literally their never ending cycle. They listen to fans when desperate then once they are on a roll they just get so lazy and arrogant. Im not making stuff up lmao ive seen so many people commenting on how they are becoming arrogant again from their latest E3 conference and twitter was fired up when they realised Sony limited their accounts.

#4theplayers my ass. That's exactly why i hate sony. They play all cute and game just to end up at the same place once they have what they want. They sure make great games, but that's it lmao.

Microsoft and Nintendo are literally the exact same. They are only getting friendlier because Sony has the console market on lockdown. 

No.. Nintendo weren't assholes when the Wii was a success or microsoft for the 360. Stop giving excuses

Hiku said:
Nem said:
How do you know it wasn't Nintendo that mandated it? Does the opposite not happen?

It seemingly does.

If you’ve played on Switch, the PS4 version will give you this error message: “The Epic Account you tried to link can not play on this platform.”

flashfire926 said:

Sony is probably responsible for both sides, tbh. They are ready to block any connection between them and other consoles. Nintendo, on the other hand even lets people login to Xbox Live on Switch. They probably have no hand in this.

What do they have to gain from preventing former PS4 Fortnite accounts to come back to their system though?
This does not seem to be a case where PSN, XBL or Nintendo's online system would be active on another console.
When you use your Fortnite account on PS4, you use PSN. When you use it on Xbox, you use XBL. Etc.
So I don't know what the motivation would be for this.

Nuvendil said:

The best description I have seen of the issue is this:

"My account is originally a PC account. I bought the $150 Save the World on the PC. And Battle Passes. I linked it to PSN once to check out the game on the PS4 and now I am forever locked out of Switch and Xbox. This is a Sony policy that Epic is shackled with"

Posted on Twitter in a looooong chain of outrage. Basically, if you link to PSN with your Epic Account EVEN ONCE, you. are. fucked.

You can freely move your account between Switch, Xbone, PC, and mobile. Touch PS4 and you're screwed. All your stuff is trapped on PS4 (for consoles). This is Sony. End of story. They used their market dominant position to coerce an anticonsumer deal with Epic.

Edit:  added some clarification

You probably should also mention that the opposite does seem to occur, since that's what he asked. (But I did that above.)
If you played Fortnite on PS4 and then use that account on Switch, it will no longer work on PS4.

I don't see why Sony would block PS4 players from playing on PS4 again. Even though the common denominator seems to be PSN here, that one doesn't make sense to me.

There is no "again".  You can't LEAVE PSN.  Once it is linked, even once, you cannot move to any other console ever.  

Keeping that in mind as well as the fact they were doing this to Xbone before the Switch version was a thing, the Nintendo side is clearly a countermeasure.  It's there to make sure people don't thoughtlessly link to PSN like they can on Xbone, PC, and Mobile and find all their progress trapped on PSN.  Cause that's what Sony wants.  They are betting that nearly everyone will link to PSN with their account at some point and will be stuck with only PS4 as a console option.  And they would *loooove* Nintendo to get in trouble for this even though the timeline makes no sense to blame them and Sony *created the obvious motive for preventing Epic Account transfer from Switch to PS4.*

Whether there is some prevention of accounts being used on other systems once linked to a particular account or not (I don't care because I don't play Fortnite), the thread title is completely inaccurate.

Around the Network
Kirin_gaming said:

Why would Sony block their players from enjoying those sweet 30fps kills? I imagine those pros on PC will be having a field day with the influx of new and slower players.

They didnt block smartphone people

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I havnt played it on Switch yet but does the same thing happen with Xbox? Does it lock your account?

Sony is 100% responsible for this and I can't believe people have the courage to defend this anti-consumer behaviour. Sony can do no wrong aye? Cause they are dominating right? Christ.

Azzanation said:
I havnt played it on Switch yet but does the same thing happen with Xbox? Does it lock your account?

Going between Xbone and Switch is fine, it's when you use it on PS4 that your account gets locked and unusable on both Xbone and Switch.

forest-spirit said:
Azzanation said:

Going between Xbone and Switch is fine, it's when you use it on PS4 that your account gets locked and unusable on both Xbone and Switch.

Thank you for the info.

Very strange anti-consumer method to be using on there customers.