By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

I am unsure if this is just a terrible oversight by QA, or something Sony mandated; but apparently, if you log into Fortnite on PS4 at all, you will then be unable to use your account on Switch.

For the record, the game is free, I recommend it (even as someone who never plays online games). The controls are easy (although currently lacking gyro, which would really help). Within 1 day of play, I was already hitting top 5.

For anyone unsure what it is - I didn't know until yesterday, but apparently like 80 million other gamers have already played, so it might be like trying to describe Mario Brothers: The game is a 100 player third person Battle Royale/Hunger games inspired third-person Action Survival game - you parachute onto the field, scramble for a weapon, and gather resources. You can use your resources to build fortifications, paths, or even trade them in at scattered vending machines for additional weapons. There are various modes, solo (100 players, everyone for themselves), pairs (you get a partner), squads (small preset teams), and 50 vs 50.

I recommend doing the 50 vs 50 matches to start since you can learn about gathering weapons, where to land, and the guy who steals the gun in front of you ISN'T going to shoot you in the head after.

1. You are flying across the screen in a bus, hit the select button to see the map, and decide where to go. Further from the white circle is better.
2. Spend about 2.5 minutes exploring the area; look for boxes and chests, and hold down the Y button to open them once you have your selector on them.
3. When the clock hits 3.5 minutes or so, RUN toward the circle. Hit the select button to see the map, that way you'll know where your teammates are heading, best to go there, or at least close by.
4. Once you reach the circle, I find it's best to sneak along the outside, look for buildings going up in locations with characters that don't have the down arrow above them, those are enemies. If they're being careless, AMBUSH THEM AND SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD. Use the ZL to aim, the ZR to shoot, it's surprisingly easy even without the gryo controls (though they would be welcome in a future update). Then RUN! Run back to your team and safety with the satisfaction that you have brutally killed a man!
5. By this point, you'll probably be making your push further to the center, as the outside storm will continue to shrink in around... similar to Battle Royale (and I think Hunger games too).
6. You'll see huge pools of weapons lying all around, get powerful ones, I like explosives and rifles. Then just go with your teammates on a brutal destructive killing spree of the enemy fortifications, shoot them if you see them.

For the record, my first few games, the storm killed me. I didn't know what was going on. I didn't even know the controls.
Within a few hours I was wracking up kills and getting into the top 5 on solo.

Just for the record, I don't play FPS games or anything like that - the last one I played extensively was probably one of the Metal of Honour or Bond PS2 games (I played 2-3 hours of Metroid Prime games, but that doesn't count) - that skillset doesn't seem to matter a great deal in this game. The main sorts of games I have played that are action-based are 2D platformers (typically not many outside of the 8-bit and 16-bit games of my younger years, and revivals), some 3D platformers, and Legend of Zelda games. Mostly I play RPGs and simulation type games. So! If I can play this game, have fun, then everyone can.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Asshole move by Sony, but business is business

Just make a new account.

Errorist76 said:
Just make a new account.

Guessing people who spent money on cosmetics, or earned them through pre-orders or special events, ect would like to be able to use those items on another system.

I don't think this is new. I think you get same error if trying to log into Xbox One system with an account that was used on Playstation. It was just something no one noticed cause who would do that? Both systems are likely in same room, so no reason to no just use the same one all the time. And PC is cross with PS, so no issues if they log in there.

Now though you have people who want to play this portable, and are now noticing that Sony is trying to monopolize the ingame spending.

Or take Smash for example. If that came to PC and they allowed crossplay, would you not be annoyed if you had to re-unlock every character again. You have been playing this game for 100's of hours and you need to go and unlock everything again. And that is free unlocks. Toss in the money situation and I would be upset. Like having to purchase the DLC characters again for Smash Wii U on the PC. I would want it to be like Xbox/PC where you can play on both and both use same save data. Or an app on phone, wher I can log into my phone, tablet or even pc and continue the same game. Not have to rebuy all my yugioh cards or some shit. Yes, free game, but I want my account.

I don't really get the appeal on this, but at least it's a competent port and it's free. My best match was me avoiding any kind of fight and just slowly going towards the center of the map unseen while doing nothing. I ended up 11th out of 80 or something. Yeah, I don't get it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Tried it a bit yesterday and will try some more later today. Will try to play alongside my brother who has an X1.

Should be fun.

Sony refusing cross-platform play was dick, but this was a whole new level of dickishness lol

When on top, you can be a dick. There's little incentive for them to open their platform up and allow people to play with their community without buying the requisite hardware outside of consumer friendliness, and that's not generally a very persuasive incentive heh

Darwinianevolution said:
I don't really get the appeal on this, but at least it's a competent port and it's free. My best match was me avoiding any kind of fight and just slowly going towards the center of the map unseen while doing nothing. I ended up 11th out of 80 or something. Yeah, I don't get it.

Based on what my brother says, that approach works for reaching like top 10, but if you want to win you have to learn how to build and win firefights.

Johnw1104 said:
Sony refusing cross-platform play was dick, but this was a whole new level of dickishness lol

When on top, you can be a dick. There's little incentive for them to open their platform up and allow people to play with their community without buying the requisite hardware outside of consumer friendliness, and that's not generally a very persuasive incentive heh

Considering how big multiplayer games are and how fast PC and mobile are growing both in popularity and power, I don't see Sony's strategy lasting that long. Why would you want to get into a machine to play the latest MP game, when most of your friends are going to play elsewhere, and your console doesn't allow you to play with them? Considering how important is this kind of casual market for the Playstation brand now, I really doubt Sony's choices here will last further than this gen. Otherwise, they're going to start losing potential sales to other platforms.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

my bro told me about this he was pissed when he found this out