By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Sony can't block you directly from a service they don't own, but they sure can pressure the owners of said service to do so. I'm sure Sony told Epic to not allow certain kinds of cross platform combinations with their console, and Epic can't really disobey them, otherwise they would face legal repercussions.

Epic owns Fortnite right? So I simply can't understand how Sony could tell Epic what to do with their game on other systems? If anything it's the other way around, Epic owns Fortnite. Sony could try to pressure Epic, yes but in the end they cannot force Epic because what happens between Epic and Nintendo or Epic and Microsoft is NONE of Sony's business.

Only situation I can think of is Sony having signed an agreement with Epic on this issue, that per agreement Fortnite accounts made on Sony must not be compatible with other platforms, in which case YES, I could see how Sony has the upper hand here but in the end, why would Epic sign such an agreement?

By that logic we must blame exclusives games cause a game that comes exclusively on a platform from a studio NOT owned by that platform is nothing more than a legal agreement: We make our game for your platform exclusively.

In which case this would make this a dick move from both Sony and Epic. If that's the case then yeah, Nintendo and Microsoft have nothing to do with this. So is this the case?

Well, Sony has the advantage in terms of userbase. PS4's total sales are bigger than Switch+XBOne combined, so they have the key to a bigger number of potential customers than either Nintendo or Microsoft. And considering console players usually make bigger spendings than PC and mobile (those resort to massive numbers of players to make the same profits), that gives Sony one hell of an advantage when negotiating.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Considering how big multiplayer games are and how fast PC and mobile are growing both in popularity and power, I don't see Sony's strategy lasting that long. Why would you want to get into a machine to play the latest MP game, when most of your friends are going to play elsewhere, and your console doesn't allow you to play with them? Considering how important is this kind of casual market for the Playstation brand now, I really doubt Sony's choices here will last further than this gen. Otherwise, they're going to start losing potential sales to other platforms.

If most of your friends are on PS4 though... then why would you want to get a non-PS4 so you can't play with them?

It works both ways, and as long as Sony have the largest install base they've got more to lose by allowing cross-platform play than they have to gain.

Fair enough, but still, it only works when they have the userbase to force their way, if they don't, they'd get squatted. Which is probably the reason the other two aren't applying similar methodes, to be honest.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

How nice. But that's the crap you can do when you're on top.

#fudgethegamers

I get why they excluded x1, but damn why exclude the switch? The switch is no rival for ps4, each console got their audience, and blocking switch is causing lots of negative calls! Come on sony, block x1 all you want, you have reasons to do this, but don't do this to switch!? It's doing more bad than good, give Nintendo a free pass.

You guys know the huge backlash EA's Battlefront 2 got with its loot boxes?

This is the next biggest outcry I've seen compared to that. It's getting tens of thousands of likes on reddit posts, videos all over on it, hundreds of articles.

And Sony is getting all the blame thrown on it by everyone.

Is Sony to blame? Until official word comes out that states exactly what is going on, we are just speculating, but if they are not to blame, wouldn't it be in their best interest to come out and squash all of this bad press right now during E3?

Heck, the only poll I"ve seen for who won E3, had Sony with 8% of the vote. That was a poll shown after Sony's conference when it was most fresh and typically would skew ones views in the positive. So no only are they seemingly having a bad conference, they are having horrible press in regards to Fortnite.

Yet what do we hear? SILENCE

Around the Network

Yea, I saw this on Reddit yesterday, and people are definitely not happy about it...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

So if any account logs into their Epic Games account via PS4, their account gets locked to that console?

Edit: this seems to explain it to a degree. https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/12/17453978/this-fortnite-account-is-associated-with-a-platform-which-does-not-allow-it-to-operate-on-switch

KLAMarine said:
So if any account logs into their Epic Games account via PS4, their account gets locked to that console?

It gets locked out of ever playing on the Switch or Xbox. It can still be played on PC or Mobile.

I've read people comment about how they play 99% of the time on PC, set up their account on PC. All they ever did was log onto their PS4 once to get some free skin. They now can not play this on their Switch. They need to create a new account and no longer have any of their skins they earned/purchased, ect.

This is why we need a strong, healthy competition between Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. You let any one of them get too much success and they’ve shown they’ll respond with pure hubris and arrogance.

irstupid said:
KLAMarine said:

It gets locked out of ever playing on the Switch or Xbox. It can still be played on PC or Mobile.

I've read people comment about how they play 99% of the time on PC, set up their account on PC. All they ever did was log onto their PS4 once to get some free skin. They now can not play this on their Switch. They need to create a new account and no longer have any of their skins they earned/purchased, ect.

Sounds utter shit man. #playersbeware

Microsoft being the good guy now: 

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1006909646001467392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.polygon.com%2F2018%2F6%2F13%2F17459340%2Fsony-ps4-fortnite-cross-play-switch