By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

pokoko said:
Sony is to blame for now allowing cross play but how in the world are they to blame for what Epic does with their accounts? That makes no sense at all.

Do accounts from EA, Ubisoft, or Activision do that? If so, where the outcry over them? I've certainly never heard it.

Someone explain to me how Sony could do something like that with another company's code and framework because there is literally no way they could.

I just cannot fathom why Epic Games would gimp someone's account like this. If I were EG, I would want an account to be as portable and accessible as possible on as many platforms as possible so people play longer and buy virtual dollars as long as possible.

I could be wrong but I suspect Sony has something to do with it. Perhaps it's incompetence on EG's part? I don't know but the "associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Switch" really sticks out to me...

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/12/17453978/this-fortnite-account-is-associated-with-a-platform-which-does-not-allow-it-to-operate-on-switch

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Ganoncrotch said:

You know fortnite has voice chat btw? on Switch, with just a headset connected to the console.

https://kotaku.com/fortnite-on-switch-has-built-in-voice-chat-no-app-requ-1826771335

Does this mean Switch and X1 now have cross console voice chat?

aye you can

from the nintendo life article on it

"It was also confirmed that you'll be able to chat with friends regardless of their platform which is fantastic news for players who want to team up with those using other consoles."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/heres_how_voice_chat_works_in_fortnite_on_nintendo_switch

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Why would Sony block their players from enjoying those sweet 30fps kills? I imagine those pros on PC will be having a field day with the influx of new and slower players.

Hiku said:
KLAMarine said:

I just cannot fathom why Epic Games would gimp someone's account like this. If I were EG, I would want an account to be as portable and accessible as possible on as many platforms as possible so people play longer and buy virtual dollars as long as possible.

I could be wrong but I suspect Sony has something to do with it. Perhaps it's incompetence on EG's part? I don't know but the "associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Switch" really sticks out to me...

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/12/17453978/this-fortnite-account-is-associated-with-a-platform-which-does-not-allow-it-to-operate-on-switch

Why would Sony block fortnight accounts from PS4 though?

That doesn't make sense.
The article says that if you try to use an account that was first used on Switch, it gets locked out from PS4.

If you’ve played on Switch, the PS4 version will give you this error message: “The Epic Account you tried to link can not play on this platform.”

Hmm, that could be Nintendo's doing: "if PS4 accounts can't play on Switch then we don't want Switch accounts functioning on PS4".

Again, very much speculation on my part but note the seemingly softer tone on the PS4 pop-up.

Aeolus451 said:
Just play it on the PS4 and problem solved.

This is great advice, thanks!

Around the Network

How do you know it wasn't Nintendo that mandated it? Does the opposite not happen?

Hiku said:
KLAMarine said:

Hmm, that could be Nintendo's doing: "if PS4 accounts can't play on Switch then we don't want Switch accounts functioning on PS4".

Again, very much speculation on my part but note the seemingly softer tone on the PS4 pop-up.

You really think the odds are likely that both companies had the same evil plan, against the other?

That would be pretty wild.

But the fact that these issues are occurring on both ends makes me think this is neither of their doing.

Sony is probably responsible for both sides, tbh. They are ready to block any connection between them and other consoles. Nintendo, on the other hand even lets people login to Xbox Live on Switch. They probably have no hand in this.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Nem said:
How do you know it wasn't Nintendo that mandated it? Does the opposite not happen?

The best description I have seen of the issue is this:

"My account is originally a PC account. I bought the $150 Save the World on the PC. And Battle Passes. I linked it to PSN once to check out the game on the PS4 and now I am forever locked out of Switch and Xbox. This is a Sony policy that Epic is shackled with"

Posted on Twitter in a looooong chain of outrage. Basically, if you link to PSN with your Epic Account EVEN ONCE, you. are. fucked.

You can freely move your account between Switch, Xbone, PC, and mobile. Touch PS4 and you're screwed. All your stuff is trapped on PS4 (for consoles). This is Sony. End of story. They used their market dominant position to coerce an anticonsumer deal with Epic.

Edit:  added some clarification

Last edited by Nuvendil - on 14 June 2018

Kirin_gaming said:

Why would Sony block their players from enjoying those sweet 30fps kills? I imagine those pros on PC will be having a field day with the influx of new and slower players.

You do realize 30fps isn’t running in slow motion, right. The controls are still 60fps, it’s just the visual refresh. Push a button on one and after one second you’ll be at the same point regardless of the FPS.

Nintendoes what Sonydon't.