By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the GOTY contenders?

Mnementh said:
One thing is for sure, this year will not have the great contenders like 2017, with Zelda, Horizon and Mario. So far only God of War is a real contender (be serious, a strongly japanese game like MonHun will not get much awards from western reviewers). RDR2, AC Odyssey (this should release this year, right) and Smash will probably contenders. Neither looks like it will reach the quality of the 2017 games.

God of War is better than any game released last year and DBFZ is a fantastic game. RDR 2 should be better than any game last year as well and Spiderman will be good.

Around the Network

Celeste is my favorite game released this year so far, but I don't expect it to win much, if anything. Though I'm not good at predicting things, truthfully. I think I'll just go along with the consensus view here and say that the top awards will go to either God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2. That seems like it's probably what will happen.

For me personally, it is God of War and while there are other great games coming, I do not see that changing.

I see it being between GoW and Red Dead 2 when it comes to getting the actual award at the game awards.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Political awnser: God Of War or Red Dead 2

True awnser: Overcooked 2

Mar1217 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

God of War is better than any game released last year and DBFZ is a fantastic game. RDR 2 should be better than any game last year as well and Spiderman will be good.

Based on your feelings ... sure.

Same goes for his statement.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Mnementh said:
One thing is for sure, this year will not have the great contenders like 2017, with Zelda, Horizon and Mario. So far only God of War is a real contender (be serious, a strongly japanese game like MonHun will not get much awards from western reviewers). RDR2, AC Odyssey (this should release this year, right) and Smash will probably contenders. Neither looks like it will reach the quality of the 2017 games.

Meta had the games last year 97, God of War at 94. I'm aware people have different tastes, but Meta should partially outweighs this. Going after personal tastes by the way, MonHun and Zelda for me beat clearly and without question God of War, Mario and RDR. So going after my personal tastes MonHun would be contender, but I'm realistic.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kratos is the only legit God Of The Year contender

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Valkyria Chronicles 4, Ni no Kuni 2, and Dragon Quest XI are in the running for me. Granted, none of them is quite on the level of Breath of the Wild, but that was an exceptional game for me which has been my favorite game released in over a decade and possibly over my entire gaming lifetime. Not every game is going to do that.

For me, nothing beats God of War 4.

God of War, hands down.