By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the GOTY contenders?

We are nearly half way through the year and we have already had a few acclaimed games released so far. And now E3 is going on we have seen even more potential GOTY contenders. Question is, which games seem most likely to be nominated? I'll go first.

God Of War - High chance of being the main GOTY winner. Only other competitors will be Red Dead and Spider-Man. Smash will fall a tier below in the GOTY numbers.

Monster Hunter World - Highly rated game with a suprising success on home consoles. Should win some GOTY's and certainly be nominated by most sites out there.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Should see some nominations, a few GOTY's maybe. Fantastic fighting game and deserves high praise.

Marvel's Spider-Man - Also has quite a high chance of stealing the most GOTY's. From what we've seen it's taking super-hero games to another level.

Dreams - This game will review exceptionally well, because what it's doing is crazy. Will likely recieve many nominations, maybe some GOTY's.

Forza Horizon 4 - It will be the best racer this year, that simple. Turn 10/Playground outclass even codemasters nowadays, so expect some GOTY nominations.

Red Dead Redemption II - The only other game that has a realistic chance of stealing the crown from GoW. Regardless of personal feelings, the industry is going to gush over this. Watch it get 97 on metacritic or some shit.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - As the title implies, it looks to be the ultimate Smash game. If executed as such, it should score a cool 93 on metacritic or more. That said I doubt it's praise will translate to many GOTY winners as compared to equally praised action/adventure titles. I expect a whole lot of nominations, quite a few wins, however.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee - If it ends up reviewing well, it should be nominated quite a lot. Not sure how many sites would give it a win over Smash, GoW, Red Dead and Spider-Man though.

Anything else I'm missing? Anything you disagree with? Do tell.

Last edited by LethalP - on 12 June 2018

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Red Dead Redemption 2. Rockstar always wins GOTY for their main games.

The Last Of Us won in 2013 over GTA V.

LethalP said:
shikamaru317 said:
Red Dead Redemption 2. Rockstar always wins GOTY for their main games.

GTA V won in 2013 over The Last of Us.

Fixed.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Not sure tbh. I haven't really come across anything that screams Goty for me.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

flashfire926 said:

LethalP said:

GTA V won in 2013 over The Last of Us.

Fixed.

That wasn't my opinion, TLOU won more GOTY awards than GTA V in 2013. I'm just saying mang.

Around the Network

Forza Horizon 4 and Octopath traveler look very good.

jason1637 said:
Forza Horizon 4 and Octopath traveler look very good.

Forza Horizon 4, of course. That's another contender.

Definitely God of War, Spiderman and Red Dead Redemption 2. These three are the top contenders and surefire winners of awards on the industry.

GoW or RDR, one of the 2 we win Game of the year.

It's gonna be between GoW, spider-man and RDR 2.