By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will this be the last year PS4 outsells Switch?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Barkley said:

Nintendo consoles tend to sell fast, and peak early. So good luck with that, 2019 or 2020 will be the peak.

A console peaks early when it doesn't have good third party support.  The Switch will have extremely good third party support.  That is what is going to drive sales for the Switch in 2020 and beyond.

I actually doubt it. Given, the Switch has better 3rd-party-support than all Nintendo-home-consoles since N64 (not so sure about DS/3DS though). But still, the Switch lags behind other consoles in that regard: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=236419

And that is for the games that WERE released on Switch. Many still miss it. Interesting for me though, that the yearly sports games were confirmed again, although these are sellign comparatively very bad. The only multiplat shooter so far (Doom) is also among the games with the worst split, which makes more shooters unlikely. But even other games like Lego-games sell weaker than on PS4 (although Switch starts to beat XBox One in some areas).

Add to this, that while Switch is powerful enough to make ports of many games possible, it is still weaker, which makes ports more difficult. Porting to a more powerful console is extremely easy if you do not change anything. Downscaling assets to meet a weaker hardware though is work. But more importantly I think that storage is limiting. Nintendo needed cartridges for Switch, because it wouldn't be really mobile with optical media. Still optical media does contain more storage space, allowing for more assets.

These two reasons (sales and technical limitations) will assure, that Switch will have less 3rd-party support than say PS4, although still better than many Nintendo-consoles before.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
quickrick said:

this is not true https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ycX6RxW7Go

I didn't say stable 30fps. And as your video itself says, it's much closer to 720/30 than the 600/25 you're claiming.

you said smoothly at 720p/30fps. i see nothing that suggest that. The game is much closer to 600p according to DF first video and the patch main upgrade is like 2 frames per second, it doesn't matter when ever the action is heavy the game is not stable, Sub hd unstable 30fps is a butchered version.

haxxiy said:
Miyamotoo said:
You sound like its given that PS4 will sell more than Switch this year..

Back on the late Wii days the Nintendo console was, indeed, proportionally stronger on its holiday period than its competitors. However, last year the Switch was outsold by the PS4 in November-December. So, while some are expecting a repeat of the former, other are expecting the later. It's not unreasonable.

Hmm: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php

As you can see, PS4-sales spiked in November, Switch-sales in December. Counting both together goes in favor of the PS4, but seemingly Nintendo gets many sales close to christmas.

TheBlackNaruto said:
xMetroid said:

Ps4 didn't win by that much and had GoW, MHW, SotC etc and is entering a somewhat drought in the next months.

Wasn't GoW the only big gun that the PS4 had though? If you are going to count MHW and SotC like that for PS4 yo can't forget stuff like LABO and Kirby for Switch.

Again: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php

PS4-spike for MonHun and GoW visible. Not so much for Labo and Kirby.

TheBlackNaruto said:
zorg1000 said:

Dude where have you been all week? Pokemon was shown and coming in Nov.

Also, Monster Hunter is a big system seller in Japan, it caused PS4 to be up like 250k YoY last quarter.

In response to my first reply to you.....

Awwwwwwwww man. It is just Pokemon Go on Switch .........

While it looks cool still and some of the concepts look fun it is still not a full fledged Pokemon game just yet

Either way it will still sell loads this year.......but a let down for me. I am SOOOOO ready for a Pokemon game done CORRECTLY and full fledged. Waiting for the dream of Pokemon Colosseum being FULLY realized and done the right way, that game had so much potential but Nintendo dropped the ball with it sigh.......one day lol.

I still count Pokemon Let's Go as a win. First, it still seems like a pretty cool game, but more importantly: with this they capture the people entering the IP through Pokemon Go. Basically Let's Go is a hybrid from Go and the core series. But as a core game is announced for 2019, this means Let's Go captures the more casual gamers, andd this means they have no need to do that in the core games. So the 2019 game has actually more potential and you have to fear less they incorporate feature s from Go, as they already have their own series for this now.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

quickrick said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I didn't say stable 30fps. And as your video itself says, it's much closer to 720/30 than the 600/25 you're claiming.

you said smoothly at 720p/30fps. i see nothing that suggest that. The game is much closer to 600p according to DF first video and the patch main upgrade is like 2 frames per second, it doesn't matter when ever the action is heavy the game is not stable, Sub hd unstable 30fps is a butchered version.

Only 2 FPS because of the 30FPS frame cap. Otherwise I'm sure it would be higher.

Also, he's testing under extreme circumstances. If you're not playing in nightmare mode and have motion blur off (I still try to understand why you would want to have that on, it just makes everything look worse and costs GPU power), the framerate is much smoother and closer to 30FPS. Remember that when it got announced everybody was wondering how that would even be possible on the Switch's hardware to even run. That's not butchered, that's actually well programmed. A butchered version would be if it was like that on the PS4, which clearly has the capacity to do much better.

It would mostly be neck to neck next year. Switch still has the potential to sell massive this holiday and next season too.

Around the Network

Switch outselling the PS4 in 2019 is certainly a possibility.
If i look at the sales so far in 2018 I expect the Switch to be slightly up YoY, around 1-2mio units, and the PS4 to be slightly down YoY, ~2mio units.
If this trend continues in 2019 it will be a close race between those two.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
LethalP said:

What sells the Switch? Is it Doom and Skyrim? Or is it Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon? Look at the software: http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/83/nintendo-switch/

If Skyrim can't sell 1 million in a year then what the fuck chance does anything else stand? Do you really think Switch could become the go to platform for AAA gaming? As in Switch being the lead platform for GTA 6, Elder Scrolls 6 and the like? You're tripping.

The reality is, PS4 will keep getting the lions share of third party titles up until the release of the PS5. Once PS5 is on the market, both it and PS4 will get cross gen games for the first year or so just like the beginning of this gen. The Switch will continue not to get CoD, BF, or any major AAA thrid party release outside of stuff that is big in Japan. What motivation does Bethesda have to bring Doom 2 to Switch when the first one can barely sell past 300k?

The PS5 will be fine. Switch'l do nuttin.. It'l do nuttin'.

One place where we differ is that you put a lot more emphasis on big Western titles than I do.  Switch won't get many Western exclusives, but most Western games are going to go multiplat and include Switch anyway.  Western developers are already making 5 versions of their games : PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, XB1, XB1X.  They might as well make a 6th version for the Switch.   These games are already made with scaling up/down in mind, so its not a big deal to scale the games down a little to the Switch.  It's definitely worth porting a game over if it's going to sell a million+ like Skyrim.  Of course you're not going to full see this until 2019 because most games take 2-3 years to develop.  Next week at E3, we'll see maybe 30-50% or so of Western games get a Switch version.  Starting next year, the majority of multiplat games will also get a Switch version.

Where Switch will really stand out though is with Japanese exclusives.  This is a bigger deal, because Japanese developers don't go multiplat to the extent that Western developers do, so third party exclusives will mostly be coming from Japan.  Switch is on track to surpass the PS4's total install base by late 2018/early 2019.  This means that Japanese developers see Switch as the main console to develop for.  Switch is going to get a lot of Japanese exclusives.  Of course, some Japanese games are going to be multiplat, but the ones that aren't are going to be mostly Switch exclusives.  Again, since games take at least a couple of years to make then you won't see too much of this next week at E3.  Switch will get a few third party exclusives next week, but PS4 will get more.  Next year that will reverse, and then Switch will just get more and more exclusives after that.

This is all why Sony needs to release PS5 ASAP.  They still aren't going to get many Japanese exclusives, but they'll actually get more Western exclusives.  Downgrading from PS4 to Switch is easy.  Downgrading from PS5 to Switch is much bigger deal and probably won't happen much.

Why do you think the majority of multplat will go to Switch?

I can't say.

So far NSW third party support looks a lot like the first 24 months of Wii U. You just change Ubisoft/EA for Bethesda.

Nintendo got a decent deal with Bethesda and that's basically the only big deal Nintendo got so far.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A console peaks early when it doesn't have good third party support.  The Switch will have extremely good third party support.  That is what is going to drive sales for the Switch in 2020 and beyond.

I actually doubt it. Given, the Switch has better 3rd-party-support than all Nintendo-home-consoles since N64 (not so sure about DS/3DS though). But still, the Switch lags behind other consoles in that regard: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=236419

And that is for the games that WERE released on Switch. Many still miss it. Interesting for me though, that the yearly sports games were confirmed again, although these are sellign comparatively very bad. The only multiplat shooter so far (Doom) is also among the games with the worst split, which makes more shooters unlikely. But even other games like Lego-games sell weaker than on PS4 (although Switch starts to beat XBox One in some areas).

Add to this, that while Switch is powerful enough to make ports of many games possible, it is still weaker, which makes ports more difficult. Porting to a more powerful console is extremely easy if you do not change anything. Downscaling assets to meet a weaker hardware though is work. But more importantly I think that storage is limiting. Nintendo needed cartridges for Switch, because it wouldn't be really mobile with optical media. Still optical media does contain more storage space, allowing for more assets.

These two reasons (sales and technical limitations) will assure, that Switch will have less 3rd-party support than say PS4, although still better than many Nintendo-consoles before.

Besides, Nintendo only sells because of its own games, really. NSW is basically the 3DS successor and even 3DS with it's wonderful library didn't sell more than PS4 that is a home console in its lifetime. 

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
Mnementh said:

Besides, Nintendo only sells because of its own games, really. NSW is basically the 3DS successor and even 3DS with it's wonderful library didn't sell more than PS4 that is a home console in its lifetime. 

I don't know. I don't think as I wrote, that Switch will be big with third-parties like PS4, but still it seems the Switch can get better than Wii/WiiU/Gamecube/N64 in this regard.

Also sales: DS was also strongly carried by Nintendo, and it sold more than PS3. So Switch, were is it going? I really don't know, it can be 80 million or 120 million in the end. But the one thing I really doubt is a 3rd-party library comparable to Playstation.

quickrick said:
Ljink96 said:
It all depends on software output. I think I'll be able to make a better prediction after E3 and towards the end of year when Nintendo said they'll be focusing on 2019 games. 3D Mario and Zelda are great and do push Nintendo hardware, but not like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros. and 2D Mario do.

Its 3d mario, zelda, splatoon 2, and mario kart. Mario kart and 3d Mario will out sell all those games except for pokemon.

What are you talking about? lol Splatoon 2 is big but it's no Animal Crossing, Smash or Pokemon. Mario Kart is a port of a Wii U game that a lot of people already played but it sells because it's mario kart. 3D Mario never outsells Smash or Pokemon. Zelda is not a hardware pusher like Smash or Pokemon, or Animal Crossing. And none of them really stand a chance against a 2D Mario game done right. 

It doesn't matter which games will sell more in this case, its which ones have the potential to bring in new customers.