By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee reveal trailer

Acevil said:
KLXVER said:

Ok, so its not an RPG?

RPG against trainers, but catching seems Pokemon Go like. 

Which is strange. On the one hand, the way to catch Pokemon probably works a lot better with motion control than with a touch screen. On the other hand, it probably gets old fast either way, and you do catching A LOT in Pokemon games.

With RPG-battles only against trailer - is there no longer grinding or can you battle trainers repeatedly?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Looks good to me.

Models look similar to Sun/Moon, but in every other way, especially the textures, the graphics are a huge leap.

It is a full-fledged RPG with some new mechanics we've been wanting for years, like seeing the pokemon on the overworld, but it's not a new gen.

Still hoping that the 2019 game will ditch the overhead camera style and and go for a BOTW/Monolith open world where the exploration and sense of wonder at the Pokemon roaming the world is dialled up to 11.

Mnementh said:
Acevil said:

RPG against trainers, but catching seems Pokemon Go like. 

Which is strange. On the one hand, the way to catch Pokemon probably works a lot better with motion control than with a touch screen. On the other hand, it probably gets old fast either way, and you do catching A LOT in Pokemon games.

With RPG-battles only against trailer - is there no longer grinding or can you battle trainers repeatedly?

That's the big question.  There's still experience points, leveling up, and move learning.  So there has to be battles to support that.  So more trainers in general?  Arenas?  Repeat encounter options?  Also, the end teases Mewtwo as a battle so are there boss Pokemon you have to battle to get?  Lot's of questions there.

Also, Pokemon have exp, levels, AND CP.  So what does CP do?  Is it just for Pokemon Go functionality?  Can you raise it in Let's Go?  Does it do anything in Let's Go?

Comparisons:

Can't wait for Lavender Town

I don't understand the disappointment with the graphics. The art style and the graphics look crisp, clean and more detailed that previous entries, a good step up from the 3DS games. What do people expect when taking into consideration the art style of Pokemon? A "Realistic" looking game would never work, its a Pokemon game...

Around the Network
booshmightythe said:

I don't understand the disappointment with the graphics. The art style and the graphics look crisp, clean and more detailed that previous entries, a good step up from the 3DS games. What do people expect when taking into consideration the art style of Pokemon? A "Realistic" looking game would never work, its a Pokemon game...

The textures and overall level of detail would've been subpar on the Xbox 360 much less the Switch. Even with the same art style it could've had much nicer textures, lighting, effects, and overall detail.

curl-6 said:
booshmightythe said:

The textures and overall level of detail would've been subpar on the Xbox 360 much less the Switch. Even with the same art style it could've had much nicer textures, lighting, effects, and overall detail.

This is true but aesthetically I think it's good.

It's beyond a 3DS or Vita game but not setting the world on fire.  It's not an upressed 3DS game, that's clear.  I think this game though started life in a...limbo area.  Where they didn't know what was going to happen to the DS line, how long the 3DS would last, how successful the Switch would be if at all.  And so the game was developed with assets high enough quality to hold up on hd machines but not so high they couldn't be scaled down if the Switch went south and a 3DS version was needed.  

Same with the engine improvements.  Lighting, real time shadow maps of high quality, high quality AA, better texture filtering, some good if basic post processing, these are all welcome imrpovements but again, improvements that could be scaled back or turned off.

It's a decent start for modernizing their engine and tools.  And I kinda expected this, just compare X and Y to Sun and Moon.

Nah, I'll just buy Yellow for my 3DS and forget that this game exist. No more battles with wild Pokemon and no online makes it easy for me to skip this thing.

Some more info

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/30/the-pokmon-company-shares-more-on-lets-go-features-and-switch-in-qa-session/

I'll proably pick this one up.

local co-op and riding pokemon around looks pretty dope and it's a kanto remake which is my favourite region. I just hope your be able to transfer pokemon from this to the 2019 title and or pokemon bank.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

This is true but aesthetically I think it's good.

It's beyond a 3DS or Vita game but not setting the world on fire.  It's not an upressed 3DS game, that's clear.  I think this game though started life in a...limbo area.  Where they didn't know what was going to happen to the DS line, how long the 3DS would last, how successful the Switch would be if at all.  And so the game was developed with assets high enough quality to hold up on hd machines but not so high they couldn't be scaled down if the Switch went south and a 3DS version was needed.  

Same with the engine improvements.  Lighting, real time shadow maps of high quality, high quality AA, better texture filtering, some good if basic post processing, these are all welcome imrpovements but again, improvements that could be scaled back or turned off.

It's a decent start for modernizing their engine and tools.  And I kinda expected this, just compare X and Y to Sun and Moon.

It's about what I expected too, just saying I can see where people are coming from if they feel a bit let down that this is on the same machine that brought us Mario Odyssey and Kingdom Battle.