By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee reveal trailer

NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

You may not value graphics, but you have to understand that there are millions of gamers who don't share your opinion.

First, I highly value graphical appeal.  My tastes have simply matured enough to realize that it is not the same as graphical prowess.

Second, you have to understand that very few of the remnant of those that judge games based on technological prowess are Pokemon consumers in the first place, and certainly don't comprise the audience this game is being aimed at.

The potential audience for a modern HD Pokemon game reaches well beyond just the existing core fanbase; it's not at all far-fetched that among those interested there are many for whom graphics this outdated aren't satisfactory.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 June 2018

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

The potential audience for a modern HD Pokemon game reaches well beyond just the existing core fanbase; it's not at all far-fetched that among those interested there are many for whom graphics this outdated aren't satisfactory.

1.  This whole game is very much about reaching beyond the core fanbase and is using the flavor of Pokemon Go.  It's doing so through a welcoming, clean aesthetic.

2.  The graphics are not outdated.  Once again, we are living through a period where many game designers are experimenting with less power-intensive graphics.  There's no such thing as modern graphics anymore.  The standard simply doesn't exist the way it once did.

3.  Your point seems to rest entirely on "Some people like graphics this way".  Fair enough, but you could just as easily say, "Some people like 1st person shooters and it's not at all far-fetched that among those interested in 1st person shooters, there are many for whom a simple RPG isn't satisfactory."  There are obviously millions of them as well.

That's their right, but not every game is going to cater to those people who dismiss games that aren't 1st person shooters.

I think it's not the point.

Their designers know what they're doing and gameplay is usually more important than graphics (depending on the genre or the player, perhaps) plus the game has everything to be successful. Having said that, those graphics still look dated and cheap, below the standards of most current generation console JRPGs to the point that one could believe that the game is port of a mobile game.

Obviously it's not a scientific discussion, there's a lot of opinion on this matter, but still the game looks lazy, like it was developed in a cheap engine of sorts, without enough polishing, and we know that they could do a lot better without any absurd effort.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

1.  This whole game is very much about reaching beyond the core fanbase and is using the flavor of Pokemon Go.  It's doing so through a welcoming, clean aesthetic.

2.  The graphics are not outdated.  Once again, we are living through a period where many game designers are experimenting with less power-intensive graphics.  There's no such thing as modern graphics anymore.  The standard simply doesn't exist the way it once did.

3.  Your point seems to rest entirely on "Some people like graphics this way".  Fair enough, but you could just as easily say, "Some people like 1st person shooters and it's not at all far-fetched that among those interested in 1st person shooters, there are many for whom a simple RPG isn't satisfactory."  There are obviously millions of them as well.

That's their right, but not every game is going to cater to those people who dismiss games that aren't 1st person shooters.

No, my point is that many gamers have graphical standards to which they will hold a high profile game releasing on current gen hardware. There's nothing surprising or unreasonable about the idea that many of these same people might also be interested by the promise of a modern HD Pokemon game.

At this point though, this particular tangent is just going in circles, and it's all just a matter of personal opinion in the end. I'd rather be discussing other aspects of the game, so I'm gonna do that instead.

Anyway, the game itself looks like a winner. My brother, who hasn't played Pokemon since Blue, is hyped for this simply cos he finally gets to play Pokemon on a console. That's this game's real strength the way I see it; that it will draw in new/lapsed players and thus expand the franchise's reach.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 June 2018

I mean... i've seen and heard people say unironically that the new Pokemon has good graphics... I don't think it matters to the people this is for...

I thing the only let down on graphics imo are the lights,shadows. They can borrow dynamic lights from botw.
The art-style makes sense with the image they want to pass in this game, so, is not an issue.

Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:
I mean... i've seen and heard people say unironically that the new Pokemon has good graphics... I don't think it matters to the people this is for...

Yeah I've seen the same, high graphical level has never been the goal for the series which is why a number of people don't take as much issue with it, when it comes to visuals Pokemon is really more about maintaining a certain charm then anything.

Noticed a really silly trend of people referring to this game as Pokemon Go, or saying things along the lines of "it's really just Pokemon Go for Switch" and "a $60 port of a free mobile game won't sell systems."

Wonder if these people are gonna called the next 2D Mario "just Mario Run for Switch".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 June 2018

curl-6 said:

Noticed a really silly trend of people referring to this game as Pokemon Go, and saying things along the lines of "it's really just Pokemon Go for Switch" or "a $60 port of a free mobile game won't sell systems."

Wonder if these people are gonna called the next 2D Mario "just Mario Run for Switch".

Seen this too, it's really pretty absurd.

Usually when the Hardcore gamer says a game will flop or say it is the worst thing ever it usually means that the game will be a smash hit. Prepare for some epic sales
(This logic only works for Nintendo games)

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.