By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee reveal trailer

shikamaru317 said:
You know what I want in Let's Go? A proper save system. Just lost 2 hours of work because I accidentally hit the power button on my 2DS. It's 2018, we need a modern save system. Multiple save slots, an in-game loading feature, and an auto-save system that saves after every caught Pokemon and every trainer battle. If their goal with Go is to get the more casual Pokemon fans hooked on the main series, they really need a modern save system, Go is online only, so it syncs to a server and saves after every in-game action, so that is what the casual Go fans are used to.

I'm sure all those people trying ot get the correct nature and IV's and all that would love an auto save feature after each caught pokemon. Or not. 

Multiple saves is solved with switch. Just use a different account. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
NightlyPoe said:

It's understandable that outsiders might be perplexed.  But I'm thinking the overlap between people who are looking forward to Pokemon and those who care about lighting effects is rather small.

For myself, the visuals are much exactly what I would expect.

The graphics are about what I expected too. I can simply understand why some people are disappointed given it's releasing on hardware capable of so much more.

The graphics are okay...but certainly not the leap I would expect. In some ways aspect of the graphics (and I am not just talking about textures and lighting; though those have not received as many improvements as I would have wanted either) have taken a step back, such as the re-introduction of the grid (which was removed in Sun and Moon). Honestly though for what these games are I am not overly disappointed. If they were the core RPG titles I would have been much more disappointed.

Frankly, my expectations for the 2019 game are far higher. During the Q&A session after the conference they said that they have been working on the 2019 RPG since before Switch or Pokemon Go released, so I am expecting the longer development time compared to the Let's Go games to yield better results. Personally, I want more control over the games camera and more natural looking environments with Pokemon visible in the overworld (this is one thing I really like about the Let's Go games) and actually interacting with their environment. I am not expecting realism, in fact that is something which I feel would take away some of the magic from the Pokemon games, but I do hope they add better lighting and physics effects in order to make environments look more lively.

nemo37 said:
curl-6 said:

The graphics are about what I expected too. I can simply understand why some people are disappointed given it's releasing on hardware capable of so much more.

The graphics are okay...but certainly not the leap I would expect. In some ways aspect of the graphics (and I am not just talking about textures and lighting; though those have not received as many improvements as I would have wanted either) have taken a step back, such as the re-introduction of the grid (which was removed in Sun and Moon). Honestly though for what these games are I am not overly disappointed. If they were the core RPG titles I would have been much more disappointed.

Frankly, my expectations for the 2019 game are far higher. During the Q&A session after the conference they said that they have been working on the 2019 RPG since before Switch or Pokemon Go released, so I am expecting the longer development time compared to the Let's Go games to yield better results. Personally, I want more control over the games camera and more natural looking environments with Pokemon visible in the overworld (this is one thing I really like about the Let's Go games) and actually interacting with their environment. I am not expecting realism, in fact that is something which I feel would take away some of the magic from the Pokemon games, but I do hope they add better lighting and physics effects in order to make environments look more lively.

I think Game Freak will also clean some things here and there for Let’s Go to make it feel more polished. It’s only one trailer so we can’t assume it’s going to go gold soon before November. There’s plenty of time between now and November for Game Freak and Nintendo to tweak a few things to make the game more presentable for those with more critical eyes.

Its not a huge leap, but I have a hard time seeing this as a sort of 2005 game that curl eluded to. 

I actually think graphic itself isn’t bad. It’s the grid world design and bobble head characters that make this feel extremely dated.

They could have easily redesign kanto in a big way and scale things up to proportions but they were lazy.

Other than that it’s very cute, colorful and crisp. I’ve warmed up to it and accepted defeat.

Kai_Mao said:

I think Game Freak will also clean some things here and there for Let’s Go to make it feel more polished. It’s only one trailer so we can’t assume it’s going to go gold soon before November. There’s plenty of time between now and November for Game Freak and Nintendo to tweak a few things to make the game more presentable for those with more critical eyes.

Its not a huge leap, but I have a hard time seeing this as a sort of 2005 game that curl eluded to. 

You seriously trying to tell me this level of texturing and detail is above Xbox 360 calibre?

For reference, here is Gears of War, an early Xbox 360 game:

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 May 2018

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
You know what I want in Let's Go? A proper save system. Just lost 2 hours of work because I accidentally hit the power button on my 2DS. It's 2018, we need a modern save system. Multiple save slots, an in-game loading feature, and an auto-save system that saves after every caught Pokemon and every trainer battle. If their goal with Go is to get the more casual Pokemon fans hooked on the main series, they really need a modern save system, Go is online only, so it syncs to a server and saves after every in-game action, so that is what the casual Go fans are used to.

We see them playing 2 player mode. I wonder how that works? Maybe you get to bring a character from different accounts on the same Switch. Kinda like Arms. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Would've preferred a real spin off and not a strange remake which looks like it belongs on phones. Pokemon Stadium Style motion controller Party game with some Pokemon Dungeon inspired single player content.

curl-6 said:
Kai_Mao said:

You seriously trying to tell me this level of texturing and detail is above Xbox 360 calibre?

While I do agree that this game is not ambitious enough with regards to what it does with the Switch's hardware. I think a comparison between a game that has a cartoony art with a level of cel shading style (particularly in the environment) to one that is trying to look realistic is not really valid. Even games like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, both of which have a cartoony art style (BotW is also cel shaded), do not have that level of texturing and detail presented above. When I look at the ideal art and corresponding level of detail for a Pokemon game I don't personally think of realistic games (because that is out of character for the anime style that Pokemon is going for) but rather I think of games such as the Ni No Kuni series on PS3/PS4 (and the Let's Go series falls short of those games; but that is where I would ideally like the core RPG for 2019 to be at).

nemo37 said:
curl-6 said:

While I do agree that this game is not ambitious enough with regards to what it does with the Switch's hardware. I think a comparison between a game that has a cartoony art with a level of cel shading style (particularly in the environment) to one that is trying to look realistic is not really valid. Even games like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, both of which have a cartoony art style (BotW is also cel shaded), do not have that level of texturing and detail presented above. When I look at the ideal art and corresponding level of detail for a Pokemon game I don't personally think of realistic games (because that is out of character for the anime style that Pokemon is going for) but rather I think of games such as the Ni No Kuni series on PS3/PS4 (and the Let's Go series falls short of those games; but that is where I would ideally like the core RPG for 2019 to be at).

Actually Odyssey and BotW are leagues ahead of this.  Actual texture resolution in BotW iw probably higher than that actually.  And the various maps used are more advanced.  And of course, the post processing pipeline, lighting, and other technical features vastly outclass that.

Same goes for Odyssey though it leans more into polygonal and textural detail.

But Curl is right, Let's Go isn't an ambitious HD jump and the advantages it appears to have over what he showed largely come from more modern technology being around now.  

Mar1217 said:
areason said:

No it isn't. I was complaining about the direction the game took, and how that reflects on the next mainline game. 

If your whole point is that it is a spin off, then you have no point at all.

Yes, it is. Your denial is just fun to watch at this point. Especially since you just wanna have a point to lash out at the Pokémon Compagny 'cause it ain't your core mainline title that you were waiting for.

You have 0 idea what i'm saying. I know it's a spin off. 

Look at the bold, and stop assuming shit.