By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Not Having Traditional E3?

Errorist76 said:

Still betting on a spring 2019 reveal, just like they’ve done with PS4 at a separate event.

So you're expecting the PS5 to be revealed in feb/march 2019?

Yes I know its in line with this notion that they will launch a new console after 6yrs, but I think they don't operate that way anymore.

Everyone that thinks that is basing it off the PS1/PS2, but the PS3 had a 7yr cycle, so technically if they go for 7 with the PS4 too then it will be setting a 50/50 precedent across 4 generations. 2 of 3 isn't enough to call a trend.

For me though I just see no reason why they should, whatever they can make in 2019, will be better in 2020 or at the very least cheaper. They still have momentum right now and aren't showing any real signs of slowing down. Their biggest competitor is also about 40M in sales behind and just released new hardware so is even less likely to do a follow up. There just isn't a reason to rush to market with a PS5 IMO.

The way I see it, sony can afford to sell around 2M less consoles this year than they did last year, then about 2-3M less consoles next year than they do this year and only then can they start to say this gen is taperring off. Even at that, it still puts them at well over 105M sold before the PS5 is even announced.

Around the Network
JamesGarret said:
  • No hardware announcements at E3 2018 (PS5 reference?)
E3 2019 then?....anyway, next year is when we should at least be getting the first juicy details about the PS5.

More like early next year, a la the PS4 announcement.

@ OP

Nothing there makes it seem different from any other year, other then them making it known that we are most likely going to be seeing (more) gameplay from 4 of the most anticipated titles. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/11/e3-2018-sony-announces-showcase-date-details

"Sony has announced its E3 showcase will take place at 6 p.m. Pacific, 9 p.m. Eastern on June 11 (that's 2 a.m. June 12 in the UK"

From what I read here it just feels like they're having their usual E3 press conference.

I see nothing in this thread or in any of the links that state that Sony will not be having a normal E3 stage show. It says they're going to stream their showcase live from California. How else do you expect them to stream live content if not on stage?

Intrinsic said:
Errorist76 said:

Still betting on a spring 2019 reveal, just like they’ve done with PS4 at a separate event.

Yes I know its in line with this notion that they will launch a new console after 6yrs, but I think they don't operate that way anymore.

Everyone that thinks that is basing it off the PS1/PS2, but the PS3 had a 7yr cycle, so technically if they go for 7 with the PS4 too then it will be setting a 50/50 precedent across 4 generations. 2 of 3 isn't enough to call a trend.

For me though I just see no reason why they should, whatever they can make in 2019, will be better in 2020 or at the very least cheaper. They still have momentum right now and aren't showing any real signs of slowing down. Their biggest competitor is also about 40M in sales behind and just released new hardware so is even less likely to do a follow up. There just isn't a reason to rush to market with a PS5 IMO.

The way I see it, sony can afford to sell around 2M less consoles this year than they did last year, then about 2-3M less consoles next year than they do this year and only then can they start to say this gen is taperring off. Even at that, it still puts them at well over 105M sold before the PS5 is even announced.

Last gen only lasted so long because MS and Sony wanted to recoup a lot of the money they lost earlier in the gen. This gen has played out exactly like the PS1 and PS2 Era. Sony massively in the lead, with great sales. In fact, the PS1 and PS2 had better sales, 21M and 20M respectively, the years before they launched their successors. Sony wants to stay on top with momentum continuing in their favor. Not risk losing it, or losing sales to a competitor who launches earlier, because they wanted to wait for sales to really take a dive. Just to appease some armchair analysts who aren't ready for next gen?Guess what, just like any gen, you don't have to jump in right away.

To me, it's very telling with all the rumors we have been getting recently, PS4 sales starting to decline slightly, and now Sony specifically mentioning HW. I'm sticking with my prediction of a late 2019 launch most likely, with a slight possibility of them holding off til 2020. But, that will be the absolute latest. Those people thinking they may wait til 2021 or 2022 are just insane. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Errorist76 said:

Right.  It would make no sense to move on to a new generation at this point.  Remember, the money is made on software.  Sony has a huge slice of the hardware market right now, which means they have a huge slice of the software market.  The larger the PS4 install base gets, the larger the potential sales of PS4 games.  Why would they want to break that giant user base up?   I think 2020 at the earliest for a PS5.  I wouldn't be surprised if they held of until 2021.  

With that said, if MS started pulling PS4 users over to Xbone, they could certainly speed that cycle up, in order to keep gamers in the PS family.  I see no evidence of that happening at this point, at least not in any big way.

Nice of them to highlight indies, hopefully that means we get a good look at guacamelee 2 and maybe new game from playdead and thatgamecompamy (if that counts?)

If so Sonys conference really has increased value for me.

GribbleGrunger said:

I'm not entirely sure what this means but:

• Monday, June 11th 2018, details coming soon
  • Exclusive looks and deep dives on 4 upcoming Sony World Wide Studios titles
  • Death Stranding
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Spider-Man
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Highlight on indies
  • 3rd party publishers (as usual)
  • No hardware announcements at E3 2018 (PS5 reference?)

I dont see how this is different from their previous presentations.   They always have shown 1st party stuff, 3rd party stuff and indies.

VAMatt said:
Intrinsic said:

Right.  It would make no sense to move on to a new generation at this point.  Remember, the money is made on software.  Sony has a huge slice of the hardware market right now, which means they have a huge slice of the software market.  The larger the PS4 install base gets, the larger the potential sales of PS4 games.  Why would they want to break that giant user base up?   I think 2020 at the earliest for a PS5.  I wouldn't be surprised if they held of until 2021.  

With that said, if MS started pulling PS4 users over to Xbone, they could certainly speed that cycle up, in order to keep gamers in the PS family.  I see no evidence of that happening at this point, at least not in any big way.

Using your logic, there was no reason to release the PS2 until another year or two later. Same goes for PS3.  Both the PS1 and PS2 had better sales then the PS4 will have this year, the year prior to when their successors launched. And using the split userbase logic, we should never get new systems. A new gen always splits the userbase. But, we usually get cross gen games for the first year or two to help soften that blow and, the true reason, to take advantage of the userbase who will join next gen later.

And hold off til 2021? How can people seriously consider this. The latest MS is going to hold off is 2020.  This gen isn't going the greatest for them, so they are looking to get out at the soonest possible time. Is Sony really going let them have a year on the market without their own HW? With the PS4 declining in popularity and interest, probably having sold ~12M-13M in 2020, at that point? That would be a horrible decision. 

Random_Matt said:
Might as well save their cash, we already know about all that.

I think you missed the part where this is E3. Millions will be watching, and it will be the first time most of these games are actually seen in action. Just because we’re aware of them doesn’t mean it won’t be awesome to see premier gameplay. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon