By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Not Having Traditional E3?

Sounds like they don't have any Sony related new announcements, which is certainly going to be the case from their western studios, but that doesn't sound great.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

It'll be great to finally get some gameplay footage of Death Stranding.

And LOL at this Tweet. 

Dude, they say that every year.

thismeintiel said:

Last gen only lasted so long because MS and Sony wanted to recoup a lot of the money they lost earlier in the gen. This gen has played out exactly like the PS1 and PS2 Era. Sony massively in the lead, with great sales. In fact, the PS1 and PS2 had better sales, 21M and 20M respectively, the years before they launched their successors. Sony wants to stay on top with momentum continuing in their favor. Not risk losing it, or losing sales to a competitor who launches earlier, because they wanted to wait for sales to really take a dive. Just to appease some armchair analysts who aren't ready for next gen?Guess what, just like any gen, you don't have to jump in right away.

To me, it's very telling with all the rumors we have been getting recently, PS4 sales starting to decline slightly, and now Sony specifically mentioning HW. I'm sticking with my prediction of a late 2019 launch most likely, with a slight possibility of them holding off til 2020. But, that will be the absolute latest. Those people thinking they may wait til 2021 or 2022 are just insane. 

This gen is nothing like the PS1 and PS2 gen.... can't stress that enough. For one particular reason... PS+ subscriptions. That changes the dynamic of things a lot. And there are no clear indications of the PS4 declining in sales recently, the can have a weaker first half of the year and a much stronger second half, kinda like how last yar it was the reverse. If at the end of the year the PS4 pushes another 20M sales or even 19M, thats not "decline" enough for sony or anyone to be concerned.

thismeintiel said:

Using your logic, there was no reason to release the PS2 until another year or two later. Same goes for PS3.  Both the PS1 and PS2 had better sales then the PS4 will have this year, the year prior to when their successors launched. And using the split userbase logic, we should never get new systems. A new gen always splits the userbase. But, we usually get cross gen games for the first year or two to help soften that blow and, the true reason, to take advantage of the userbase who will join next gen later.

And hold off til 2021? How can people seriously consider this. The latest MS is going to hold off is 2020.  This gen isn't going the greatest for them, so they are looking to get out at the soonest possible time. Is Sony really going let them have a year on the market without their own HW? With the PS4 declining in popularity and interest, probably having sold ~12M-13M in 2020, at that point? That would be a horrible decision. 

Again with the PS2 and PS3.... you can't talk about those and not talk about what else was on the market. With the PS2 sega had already released the dreamcast. With the Ps3 MS had released the 360. Stop talking about those consoles like they existed in a vacum and that their release schedule is a clear indication of how sony operates. Competition makes a world of difference.

I don't think either sony or MS is gong to hold onto 2021.... but I don't see any of them releasing before 2020 either. Sp 2020 is when they are released.

And when I said sony could allow MS go first I didn't mean go first by a year. They could allow them go first be reveal alone and launch the same month with the next XB or launch 3-6 months later. Depending on what kinda hardware changes they need to implement to match or exceed whatever the XB2 announces.

Having what at that time could be as much as 50M PS+ subscribers tied to the playstation gives them that kinda luxury. Which is also why sony is so against cross platform online play this gen too.

Around the Network

i think it will be a sony conference like every year, what is not bad, but they want to take a big focus on this four games, what i can understand, but for sure we will see some surprises too😉

thismeintiel said:   

And @ bold, you are completely wrong on that point.

He's actally completely right.

Next gen hardware will be based on 7nm fab tech. Thats teh only way they have something in a box that cost $400-$500 that will have in enough tech to show a clear generational leap over the current gen hardware.

AMD, who is 99% providing the processors for both the PS5/XB2 has not even started shipping 7nm chips. Or even sampling them. 

And don't be silly and just go look online for 7nm fabrication and see TSCM announincing volume manufacturing of 1st gen 7nm chips and think teh next consoles are ready to go, cause 1) Consoles never get the first batch of these new processors of the fab line. They get the mature batches. And that usually takes at least 12-18 months plus. 2) They aren't even the gys that makes the PS/XB chips nymore. Thats GF.

Barkley said:
Rêveur said:
I take it to mean that any unannounced games are being developed for the PS5, so they can't exactly annonce them yet.

I think it's more to do with the amount of already announced unreleased games. There's so much in the pipeline already that almost everything their studios are working on is announced. Spiderman, Days Gone, TLOU2, Dreams, Medievil, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, and with Detroit and God of War releasing close to e3 also.

Sumo Digital and Japan Studio are really the only two studios that could announce something.

Sumo digital probably have their hands full with Crackdown 3 and Sonic all stars racing 3.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

shikamaru317 said:
flashfire926 said:

Sumo digital probably have their hands full with Crackdown 3 and Sonic all stars racing 3.

Sumo is also making Dead Island 2. Their hands are definitely full. 

Yeah, for some reason in my mind they became a first party studio who's only noticeable release was lbp3 and prior to that handheld titles for Sony.

I have no idea how I could be so wrong considering the amount of their games I've played.

Still this gives credence to my point that there's really nothing that could be announced that hasn't been already. Japan studio is pretty much it, unless Insomniac have another ratchet in the works, but I imagine theyre throwing all their resources at Spiderman.

Intrinsic said:
thismeintiel said:

Last gen only lasted so long because MS and Sony wanted to recoup a lot of the money they lost earlier in the gen. This gen has played out exactly like the PS1 and PS2 Era. Sony massively in the lead, with great sales. In fact, the PS1 and PS2 had better sales, 21M and 20M respectively, the years before they launched their successors. Sony wants to stay on top with momentum continuing in their favor. Not risk losing it, or losing sales to a competitor who launches earlier, because they wanted to wait for sales to really take a dive. Just to appease some armchair analysts who aren't ready for next gen?Guess what, just like any gen, you don't have to jump in right away.

To me, it's very telling with all the rumors we have been getting recently, PS4 sales starting to decline slightly, and now Sony specifically mentioning HW. I'm sticking with my prediction of a late 2019 launch most likely, with a slight possibility of them holding off til 2020. But, that will be the absolute latest. Those people thinking they may wait til 2021 or 2022 are just insane. 

This gen is nothing like the PS1 and PS2 gen.... can't stress that enough. For one particular reason... PS+ subscriptions. That changes the dynamic of things a lot. And there are no clear indications of the PS4 declining in sales recently, the can have a weaker first half of the year and a much stronger second half, kinda like how last yar it was the reverse. If at the end of the year the PS4 pushes another 20M sales or even 19M, thats not "decline" enough for sony or anyone to be concerned.

thismeintiel said:

Using your logic, there was no reason to release the PS2 until another year or two later. Same goes for PS3.  Both the PS1 and PS2 had better sales then the PS4 will have this year, the year prior to when their successors launched. And using the split userbase logic, we should never get new systems. A new gen always splits the userbase. But, we usually get cross gen games for the first year or two to help soften that blow and, the true reason, to take advantage of the userbase who will join next gen later.

And hold off til 2021? How can people seriously consider this. The latest MS is going to hold off is 2020.  This gen isn't going the greatest for them, so they are looking to get out at the soonest possible time. Is Sony really going let them have a year on the market without their own HW? With the PS4 declining in popularity and interest, probably having sold ~12M-13M in 2020, at that point? That would be a horrible decision. 

Again with the PS2 and PS3.... you can't talk about those and not talk about what else was on the market. With the PS2 sega had already released the dreamcast. With the Ps3 MS had released the 360. Stop talking about those consoles like they existed in a vacum and that their release schedule is a clear indication of how sony operates. Competition makes a world of difference.

I don't think either sony or MS is gong to hold onto 2021.... but I don't see any of them releasing before 2020 either. Sp 2020 is when they are released.

And when I said sony could allow MS go first I didn't mean go first by a year. They could allow them go first be reveal alone and launch the same month with the next XB or launch 3-6 months later. Depending on what kinda hardware changes they need to implement to match or exceed whatever the XB2 announces.

Having what at that time could be as much as 50M PS+ subscribers tied to the playstation gives them that kinda luxury. Which is also why sony is so against cross platform online play this gen too.

Did you not read the first paragraph?  Here, let me point it out, again.  "In fact, the PS1 and PS2 had better sales, 21M and 20M respectively, the years before they launched their successors" It has nothing to do with decline, though, a starting decline can single to them it is time to move on.  It has to do with striking while you are still hot.  I mean, if we use your logic, Sony should not have launched the PS2 and PS3 when they did.  And PS+ really changes nothing.  Sure, its extra revenue, but Sony can lose those customers just as fast as they gained them.  And if they stall for too long, with 2013/14 customers wanting new, more powerful HW, and someone comes out with a better product, they are more likely to lose some.  Just like people who claimed the Gamerscores and "superior" Live would keep 360 owners with MS.

And I'm not talking about them in a vacuum.  Sony has competition, right now.  MS is going to give it one hell of a push next gen, at least at the start, to try to win their customers back.  And that could include dropping out of this gen early to get a headstart, just like they did last gen.  And you are very wrong if you think they can just watch the XB2 conference and change their HW on the fly.  They most likely already have the final PS5 HW decided upon.  To just change it would require extra months of designing, development, and testing.  This would give the XB2 about a year head start, as Sony is going to avoid a RROD scenario at all cost.  It's also not how they work.  They didn't change the Pro, just because the X was more powerful, nor any of their other systems.  They aren't going to change the PS5 according to the XB2, either. 

Intrinsic said:

thismeintiel said:   

And @ bold, you are completely wrong on that point.

He's actally completely right.

Next gen hardware will be based on 7nm fab tech. Thats teh only way they have something in a box that cost $400-$500 that will have in enough tech to show a clear generational leap over the current gen hardware.

AMD, who is 99% providing the processors for both the PS5/XB2 has not even started shipping 7nm chips. Or even sampling them. 

And don't be silly and just go look online for 7nm fabrication and see TSCM announincing volume manufacturing of 1st gen 7nm chips and think teh next consoles are ready to go, cause 1) Consoles never get the first batch of these new processors of the fab line. They get the mature batches. And that usually takes at least 12-18 months plus. 2) They aren't even the gys that makes the PS/XB chips nymore. Thats GF.

No, he's completely wrong.  7nm is going to be ready to sample later this year.  Now, supposedly that tech is not going to be used in creating a Vega GPU for the masses.  It's starting out in the Radeon Instinct, which is supposed to compete with Intel's Tesla line. Though, it will be used in next year's Navi.  Considering Sony is working closely with AMD on their next GPU, which has been rumored to be based on some Navi work, but not exactly a Navi GPU, I wouldn't be surprised to see 7nm used on somewhat of a hybrid, like the one used in the Pro.

Of course, there is really nothing stopping Sony from a larger die, which is used in the Vega 64 (~12.5 Tflops) currently, then switching to 7nm, if it isn't ready.  Sure, it'll cost them more initially, and require more power, but Sony isn't exactly opposed to losing money early on when they know they will make it back with SW sales.  The Pro also shows they are up for making a more power hungry device.  Again, if 7nm isn't read for them in mid-2019.