By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Not Having Traditional E3?

I think they're just trying to scale back expectations so they don't keep having to announce games before they're ready.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

We're pretty late into the generation, so it's not a good idea to make huge announcements at this time. Ubisoft once said that it's better to release the big games early gen rather than late gen.

That doesn't sound any different to any other E3 conference.

I hope it's earlier this year. 2am UK time is a kick in the nuts for me every year.

GribbleGrunger said:
Qwark said:
So they decided to add a bit more info to already announced games. Not very surprising since there aren't a lot of Sony studios which could announce something. Though I would hardly call this non traditional.

They'll still have titles in the works but they can't continuously reveal them early, they'd eventually have nothing to show. I'd be happy with just Ghost and TLOU2 to be honest and we're likely to get gameplay of both. I'm not sure we'll get gameplay of Death Stranding but it's possible and Spiderman will basically be promotional. I'm also interested to see what those Indies are. 

Perhaps wild is still alive and well. Perhaps Ninja theory will have something to show, since they want to make shorter games. I believe Japan Studios still have something in the works for the PS4.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Carl said:

I hope it's earlier this year. 2am UK time is a kick in the nuts for me every year.

Same time again unfortunately, I used to stay up and watch it, now I just watch it the day after.

Around the Network

I take it to mean that any unannounced games are being developed for the PS5, so they can't exactly annonce them yet. They are just going to concentrate on the end of this gen at this year's E3. I take it as a good sign and I hope to see the PS5 be released by the end of 2019 at the latest.

I'm not a fan of 7+ year cycles. I felt the PS3/Xbox 360 gen lasted forever and I think that accounted for why so many bought the PS4 (they just wanted something new).

Rêveur said:
I take it to mean that any unannounced games are being developed for the PS5, so they can't exactly annonce them yet.

I think it's more to do with the amount of already announced unreleased games. There's so much in the pipeline already that almost everything their studios are working on is announced. Spiderman, Days Gone, TLOU2, Dreams, Medievil, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, and with Detroit and God of War releasing close to e3 also.

Sumo Digital and Japan Studio are really the only two studios that could announce something.

Sounds like a typical E3 conference from what others have posted.

And lol @ a 2019 PS5 release.

Kyuu said:
thismeintiel said:

Last gen only lasted so long because MS and Sony wanted to recoup a lot of the money they lost earlier in the gen. This gen has played out exactly like the PS1 and PS2 Era. Sony massively in the lead, with great sales. In fact, the PS1 and PS2 had better sales, 21M and 20M respectively, the years before they launched their successors. Sony wants to stay on top with momentum continuing in their favor. Not risk losing it, or losing sales to a competitor who launches earlier, because they wanted to wait for sales to really take a dive. Just to appease some armchair analysts who aren't ready for next gen?Guess what, just like any gen, you don't have to jump in right away.

To me, it's very telling with all the rumors we have been getting recently, PS4 sales starting to decline slightly, and now Sony specifically mentioning HW. I'm sticking with my prediction of a late 2019 launch most likely, with a slight possibility of them holding off til 2020. But, that will be the absolute latest. Those people thinking they may wait til 2021 or 2022 are just insane. 

2019 launch isn't happening. You really expect PS5 to launch on the same year Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 remake, Death Stranding, and The Last of Us 2 are released? (Assuming they don't get pushed/released to/in 2020 (and half of them will), which would make the argument for a 2019 launch even weaker). No way is Sony doing that. They've learned a good lesson with GT6.

Microsoft will do their own thing from here on out and The Switch 2 isn't launching anytime before 2022 at the earliest. Even if MS decides to stick to the concept of generations and launch the Xbox 4 in 2019 (instead of making another X1X-esque upgrade) Sony can release the PS5 a year later and risk nothing. They'd just have to make it more powerful to justify the late launch, and back it up with a better lineup which is a piece of cake given the disparity between their first party offerings, and of course "exclusives" a word that is no longer existent in Microsoft's textbooks. Sony's in a far safer position than you seem to think they are. Microsoft no longer cares all that much about the console business.

I'm one of the "insane" folks who expect a 2021 launch. 2020 is also a strong possibility but 2019 is virtually out of the question. There is still a huge space for effective price drops, and technology hasn't yet evolved to the point where console gamer would appreciate a generational jump at an affordable price.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who say that Sony would never release the PS5 in 2019, either because of sales or the releases they have coming.  We have the web.  Can people not do a little research before they start spouting that garbage?  I'll just paste/copy part of another one of my posts.

"3rd party PS1 releases in 2000, the year the PS2 launched - Vagrant Story, NFS: Porche Unleashed, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends spinoff), MK:SF, Threads of Fate, Strider 2, Chrono Cross, DQ VII, Spider-Man, TH's Pro Skater 2, Vampire Hunter D, Destruction Derby Raw, Donald Duck: GQ, Mega Man Legends 2, Capcom vs SNK: M 2000, Incredible Crisis, The World Is Not Enough, FFIX, The Emperor's New Groove, TR Chronicles, 007 Racing, Batman Beyond: ROTJ, Harvest Moon, Disney's Aladdin: NR, Evil Dead: HTTK,

Sony PS1 releases in 2000 - Wild Arms 2, Spyro: YOTD, Crash Bash

The PS1 also sold ~21M in 1999, the year before the PS2 launched.  With those sales and games coming out, why, oh why, would they even think about releasing a new console, yet?

Notable 3rd party PS2 releases in 2005, the year the PS3 was originally going to launch, and 2006 - Mercenaries: POD, Shadow of Rome, Xenosaga Ep II, FIFA Street, Tekken 5, Fight Night Rnd 2, DMC 3, MX vs ATV Unleashed, Timesplitters: FP, Dynasty Warriors 5, Splinter Cell: CT, Lego SW, Midnight Club 3, Psychonauts, Burnout Revenge, MK:SM, Indigo Prophecy, RE4, Soul Calibur 3, COD 2, SW Battlefront 2, Guitar Hero, NFS: MW, DQ VIII, Drakengard 2, MGS3: S, FFXII, KH 2, TR: Legends, Jaws Unleashed, Hitman: BM, DOC: FFVII, Disgaea 2, Xenosaga Ep III, Lego SW 2, Okami, Just Cause, Scarface, MK:A, Spyro: ANB, Bully, NFS:C, COD 3, Guitar Hero 2, TH Project 8

Sony PS2 releases in 2005 and 2006 - The Getaway: BM, MLB 2006, GOW, Rise of Kasai, Genji: DOTS, Sly 3, SOCOM 3, Jak X:CR, SOTC, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Ape Escape 3, Siren 2, MLB 06, SOCOM: CA, Ape Escape: MM

The PS2 also sold ~20M in 2005, the year before the PS3 launched.  With those sales and games coming out, why, oh why, would they even think about releasing a new console, yet?

Notable 3rd party PS3 releases in 2013, the year the PS4 launched - DmC, Ni no Kuni, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, MG Rising, TR, Bioshock: I, Injustice, Dragon's Dogma: DA, Metro: LL, Grid 2, Deadpool, Dynasty Warriors 8, Dragon's Crown, Saint's Row IV, Splinter Cell: BL, FF XIV, Diablo 3, Rayman Legends, GTA V, Disgaea D2, Lego Marvel, Batman: AO, AC IV: BF, BF4, COD: Ghosts, XCOM, NFS: Rivals, Minecraft, TWD: S2

Sony PS3 releases in 2013 - Sly Cooper: TIT, MLB 13, GOW: A, TLOU, Puppeteer, Rain, Beyond: TS, R&C: ITN, GT6"

This has been Sony's MO since they got into the biz.  You strike while you're still hot.  Not, when your sales and releases are becoming just a trickle.  That's how you lose momentum.  And @ bold, you are completely wrong on that point.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 11 May 2018

Carl said:

It's 2am ...

And:

The PS5 Exists.