By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Switch vs Wii U

Bandorr said:
zorg1000 said:

Because the Switch's screen resolution is 720?

So the resolution on the switch can't ever go higher than 720?

I didn't know that - thank you.

edit: Actually I probably did know that, it just didn't occur to me.  Makes a lot of sense.

Undocked it cannot go higher than 720. Docked it can do 1080 obviously.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

I am the target group for this, and there is no way in hell I'm buying this for $60. When the $10 difference is a $10 increase on a 4 year old game from a previous system saying $10 bucks is irrelevant kind of misses the point don't you think. This should be discounted from its original price, not the same as its original price, and instead they went with the crazy move to actually increase its price four years and one console onwards.

You're saying Super Mario Bros gets great sales on eshops, okay cuz it costs a few bucks. If they released Super Mario Bros for $60 it would sell zero copies.

It's great that they are bringing the game to the Switch. If the price were the same as when it came out that'd be very annoying, but increasing the price of an old game is just outrageous. I'm only one person, but they lost a sale right here due to stupid business practices.

Okay, then just don't buy it. Speak with your wallet. That's the most powerful instrument you can use.

It doesn't matter if it's a port or not. It's the consumer's perception that matters. If it's a new game to you, then it makes no difference if it had already been released on another patform. Why don't you just buy it on the Wii U instead if you think that 60 bucks is too much? You happen to own a Wii U if I don't mistake you for someone else?

I'm actually glad this is coming to Switch, even at $60 because I never played it. Definitely gotta fix that.

GoOnKid said:
Slownenberg said:

I am the target group for this, and there is no way in hell I'm buying this for $60. When the $10 difference is a $10 increase on a 4 year old game from a previous system saying $10 bucks is irrelevant kind of misses the point don't you think. This should be discounted from its original price, not the same as its original price, and instead they went with the crazy move to actually increase its price four years and one console onwards.

You're saying Super Mario Bros gets great sales on eshops, okay cuz it costs a few bucks. If they released Super Mario Bros for $60 it would sell zero copies.

It's great that they are bringing the game to the Switch. If the price were the same as when it came out that'd be very annoying, but increasing the price of an old game is just outrageous. I'm only one person, but they lost a sale right here due to stupid business practices.

Okay, then just don't buy it. Speak with your wallet. That's the most powerful instrument you can use.

It doesn't matter if it's a port or not. It's the consumer's perception that matters. If it's a new game to you, then it makes no difference if it had already been released on another patform. Why don't you just buy it on the Wii U instead if you think that 60 bucks is too much? You happen to own a Wii U if I don't mistake you for someone else?

Yes that is exactly what I will do - speak with my wallet by not buying it.

And no I don't have a Wii U (skipped this whole generation until the Switch resparked my interest). And it does matter that its an old game. I've never played it before but I know Nintendo already made their money on it because it came out 4 years ago, so my consumer perception is no way in hell would I pay the price it came out for now on their next system four years later, let alone even MORE than its original price. Things are supposed to go down in price over time, not up! (outside of rare collectibles, which this game is of course not).

If it came out at $40 which would have been reasonable I would have considered getting it. $50 no. $60 just makes me mad at Nintendo being greedy jerks.

If Nintendo released Super Mario 64 on the Switch for $70 ($10 more than original) would that make sense? If they release Wind Waker HD (they better I need this game!) for $60 would that make sense? If they released Super Mario Galaxy for $60 would that make sense? No, it wouldn't.

Bandorr said:
The switch undocked is more powerful than the wii U right?
Then why does the resolution fall to 720 the same as wii U when undocked.

In general paying $10 more 4 years later where the biggest advantage is a resolution bump (if docked) and saving seconds on loading times - is not impressive to me.

The game is good, the price is horrible.

To me the biggest advantage is portability. The load time improvement will be welcomed as well though.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

Yes that is exactly what I will do - speak with my wallet by not buying it.

And no I don't have a Wii U (skipped this whole generation until the Switch resparked my interest). And it does matter that its an old game. I've never played it before but I know Nintendo already made their money on it because it came out 4 years ago, so my consumer perception is no way in hell would I pay the price it came out for now on their next system four years later, let alone even MORE than its original price. Things are supposed to go down in price over time, not up! (outside of rare collectibles, which this game is of course not).

If it came out at $40 which would have been reasonable I would have considered getting it. $50 no. $60 just makes me mad at Nintendo being greedy jerks.

If Nintendo released Super Mario 64 on the Switch for $70 ($10 more than original) would that make sense? If they release Wind Waker HD (they better I need this game!) for $60 would that make sense? If they released Super Mario Galaxy for $60 would that make sense? No, it wouldn't.

Ok may bad, sorry for confusing you with someone else.

I agree that prices going up instead of down is irritating. I feel the same way. But you are arguing that the price should go down because Nintendo has already made their money back. This doesn't make much sense, honestly. Nintendo doesn't care if they already receive profits from it or not. They will want to profit on it as much as they can, and they are obviously risking to lose sales from potential buyers like you with this strategy.

But I won't focus on this argument alone. I see your point and I can understand your anger. Maybe it appears on a sale one day and you can grab it then.  But, I mean, if a game like Super Bomberman R goes for 50€, Ultra Street Fighter II goes for 40, or even 1-2 fucking Switch goes for 50, and all fo these games sold good, then we may see that their prices are probably okay. Furthermore, DKCTF is a bigger and better game than all of these combined.

Oops, I defended their pricing strategy with this, now someone's going to jump at me.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

No, I dont say that but definitely have extra value compared to Wii U, especially when we compare same game. PS4 offers only home console mode, Switch offers full handheld mode and full home console mode, its fact. PS4+PSVita and Play Anywhere for X1+PC is not same like what Switch offers, Switch is just one console and it works with evre game without additional hardware, costs or requirements (like internet).

I dont defend them I just saying whats their point of view, they act like Wii U didnt exist beacuse its failure with very limited user base and they looking on Wii U ports like brand new games, and in way they are if you didnt had Wii U, Switch months ago already passed Wii U install base.

"Tell us"!? Most people knows difference, I really cant help you if you dont know main difference between handheld and home console play.

You talking nonsense, I never said anything about whats more prettier, its simple DKTF 2D platform game cant be more demanding than 3D action game like Bayonetta 2 or racing game like MK8D.

You are confusion value with price and cost. But please entertain me on how a game that you buy once and can play in 3 platforms have "less" value than a game you buy once can only play in one device but the device itself plays in more options?? So should PC games be more expensive since ever you could buy on Steam and play in multiple HW and/or use a notebook to play on the go, or on the power outlet or plugged to the TV? And since we are at it, should the games on Wii and WiiU cost less than in PS360 and X1PS4 because they had lower performance? Or should the games on Switch cost more than on X1PS4 because you can play on the go and docked? Or should games on X1PS4 cost more because you can also play them on X1X and PS4Pro?

Nope, no one here would be able to explain the difference between the HH and the Console mode of DK, because they don't exist. It's a single game that you can play docked or on the go.

Nope, not talking nonsense, If it wasn't you, it was someone with the very same discourse about "simple" vs "complex", "2D" vs "3D", etc. More demanding game is related to how much of the processing power the games drains from the system, it may seem like being 3D, fast paced, photorealistic should be more demanding, but that doesn't make it be the case everytime. I believe this discussion was made on a Doom Switch thread where someone was defending that a game running at sub-720p and 30fps was more demanding than a game at 1080p60fps on the same HW, which is obvious, because if the first wasn't utilizing all the resources then it would have space for more res or frames... but the other person was talking about the other game genre, collor pallete, etc saying it was more demanding (which is the confusion between perception and reality).

You may say otherwise, but all you have done in your post is defend them.

No, I was talking about value not about price and cost. You dont make any sense, bu pls tell me what is game that you can buy only once and play on 3 different platforms, and how that exactly has anything when we comparing game playing on Wii U comparing to Switch!? I was talking about Wii U compared to Switch games, even PS4/XB1, not to PC/Android platforms wich are quite difrent compared to console platforms. Game that could be played in full handheld and full home console mode definatly has higher value than game that could be played just in handheld or just in home console mode, Hyrule Wariors for Switch definatly has higher value compared to only 3DS version of game compared to Wii U version of game, but that doesnt mean that game need to have higher price point. If you have hard time to understand that than problem is with you. Performance of games never effect price point, if that is a case PC game actualy wouldnt be cheaper than PS4/XB1 versions of games.

Lol, but thats a difrence, you can play one same game in full handheld mode or full home console mode, thats main concept of Switch.

Its simple DKTF 2D platform game cant be more demanding than 3D action game like Bayonetta 2 or racing game like MK8D.

I relly dont care what you think, you can take what I wrote whatever you want, I just saying whats their point of view, I dont agree that game that on Wii U was $50 need to be $60 on Switch.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 25 April 2018

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

On this... Nintendo fanbase defends that they keep the 60usd even 4 years after release to keep the value of the game... while every other customer is pleased with cuts and paying less. Some twist logic.

Stop generalizing millions of people into a single entity. There are multiple people in the "Nintendo fanbase" in this thread alone who are saying it shouldnt be $60.

And when we have threads discussing the price of Nintendo games staying the same several years after release what most of the people there do? Defend the pricing strategy of Nintendo. When those said games keep selling at a good pace years after release, what does that say? That the fanbase accept the strategy as well.

Since I didn't say every Nintendo fan defend, you are seeing generalization because you want to see it.

Funny enough I didn't see you, GoOnKid or anyone else discussing the notion of Miyamotoo that the price is totally valid because it's 2 games in 1.

GoOnKid said:
DonFerrari said:

On this... Nintendo fanbase defends that they keep the 60usd even 4 years after release to keep the value of the game... while every other customer is pleased with cuts and paying less. Some twist logic.

Will you ever stop generalizing the entire fanbase? There are countless posters in this very thread who are unhappy with the price.

I don't even know you for your assumption of "ever stop". But the answer for you is above. And being unhappy with the price but still buying say a lot.

GoOnKid said:

So, to make this clear even for DonFerrari, I am not defending the price.

With this out of the way, the Nintendo Switch already surpassed the install base of the Wii U. Therefore, under the false asumption that every Wii U owner already has a Switch at this point, this game is new to every new customer. Therefore, a price like this can be justified even for a game that is already four years old. Skyrim is 60 as well, remember? How old is Skyrim?

Staying with Skyrim as an example, the age of a game is irrelevant, anyways. What matters is if people are interested in buying it for the asked price or if they are not. Skyrim still sold pretty okay as far as we know and people like to have it on the Switch. Super Mario Bros. is still one of the most sold games on whatever form of Eshop it appears. That's the true magic that happens here. Whether DKCTF has a difference of 10 bucks or not is more or less irrelevant in the big picture.

And if you already have it on the Wii U, there is absolutley no reason to buy it again. You are not the target group, unless you want to play it on the go. Nintendo doesn't expect you to buy it again because it has a higher resolution. A few more pixels don't improve the game, seriously.

Not defending the price but say it is justified? Yes, yes, sure.... At launch PS4 Sony stated that about 40% of the userbase consisted of people that didn't own a PS3 so for your justification all the ports, collections and remasters would be justified at 60 usd right? Still several/most were sub 60 (as replied by someone earlier TLOU got cut very fast due to customers complaining) and no game got a price increase from porting from PS3 to PS4 even if they had DLCs added.

Skyrim that have been put in almost all systems under the sun being ported for 60usd is basically a rip-off and customers shouldn't entice more thinks like this (or like they did with USFII).

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

You are confusion value with price and cost. But please entertain me on how a game that you buy once and can play in 3 platforms have "less" value than a game you buy once can only play in one device but the device itself plays in more options?? So should PC games be more expensive since ever you could buy on Steam and play in multiple HW and/or use a notebook to play on the go, or on the power outlet or plugged to the TV? And since we are at it, should the games on Wii and WiiU cost less than in PS360 and X1PS4 because they had lower performance? Or should the games on Switch cost more than on X1PS4 because you can play on the go and docked? Or should games on X1PS4 cost more because you can also play them on X1X and PS4Pro?

Nope, no one here would be able to explain the difference between the HH and the Console mode of DK, because they don't exist. It's a single game that you can play docked or on the go.

Nope, not talking nonsense, If it wasn't you, it was someone with the very same discourse about "simple" vs "complex", "2D" vs "3D", etc. More demanding game is related to how much of the processing power the games drains from the system, it may seem like being 3D, fast paced, photorealistic should be more demanding, but that doesn't make it be the case everytime. I believe this discussion was made on a Doom Switch thread where someone was defending that a game running at sub-720p and 30fps was more demanding than a game at 1080p60fps on the same HW, which is obvious, because if the first wasn't utilizing all the resources then it would have space for more res or frames... but the other person was talking about the other game genre, collor pallete, etc saying it was more demanding (which is the confusion between perception and reality).

You may say otherwise, but all you have done in your post is defend them.

No, I was talking about value not about price and cost. You dont make any sense, bu pls tell me what is game that you can buy only once and play on 3 different platforms, and how that exactly has anything when we comparing game playing on Wii U comparing to Switch!? I was talking about Wii U compared to Switch games, even PS4/XB1, not to PC/Android platforms wich are quite difrent compared to console platforms. Game that could be played in full handheld and full home console mode definatly has higher value than game that could be played just in handheld or just in home console mode, Hyrule Wariors for Switch definatly has higher value compared to only 3DS version of game compared to Wii U version of game, but that doesnt mean that game need to have higher price point. If you have hard time to understand that than problem is with you. Performance of games never effect price point, if that is a case PC game actualy wouldnt be cheaper than PS4/XB1 versions of games.

Lol, but thats a difrence, you can play one same game in full handheld mode or full home console mode, thats main concept of Switch.

Its simple DKTF 2D platform game cant be more demanding than 3D action game like Bayonetta 2 or racing game like MK8D.

I relly dont care what you think, you can take what I wrote whatever you want, I just saying whats their point of view, I dont agree that game that on Wii U was $50 need to be $60 on Switch.

If you buy "99 Vidas o Jogo" on any PS platform you will have access to it on PS3, PS4 and PSVita as far as I heard from the creators. The point of multiple platforms was your defense of having more value because you can play on the go or on the TV, which isn't particular to the game itself.

So you accept that perfomance of the game doesn't affect the price (but for some reason you ignored if it affects value or not), but then again pretends it make Switch games more valuable... waiting for your definition on Notebooks.

Keep with your perception of the world all you want, if a game is running at a lower resolution and frame than another one at the same system, it's more taxing to the system than the other one unless you can prove it runs at lower processing demands, which you can't since you don't have access to the debugging or any other form to measure how much of the system is being used.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Stop generalizing millions of people into a single entity. There are multiple people in the "Nintendo fanbase" in this thread alone who are saying it shouldnt be $60.

And when we have threads discussing the price of Nintendo games staying the same several years after release what most of the people there do? Defend the pricing strategy of Nintendo. When those said games keep selling at a good pace years after release, what does that say? That the fanbase accept the strategy as well.

Since I didn't say every Nintendo fan defend, you are seeing generalization because you want to see it.

Funny enough I didn't see you, GoOnKid or anyone else discussing the notion of Miyamotoo that the price is totally valid because it's 2 games in 1.

Again you are taking a select few and pretending that equals the majority. Also, accepting and defending are not the same thing.

You said, "Nintendo fanbase defends......while EVERY OTHER CUSTOMER is pleased with cuts....."

You can try weaseling out of it but you were intentionally blocking an entire fanbase together as a hive mind.

As for Miyamotoo, i actually try to avoid reading his posts, they can be very confusing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

bonzobanana said: 

I thought their was at least some elements to the wii u that can beat the Switch in portable mode. The higher memory bandwidth of the 32MB of edram, higher gflops of the gpu and the simple fact the Switch relies on heavier compression due to lack of storage plus needs to consider battery runtime which often motivates the developer to run at lower performance levels. The Switch portable version of this game is running sub 720P despite the portable screen being 720p. So no it certainly isn't a fact that the Switch in portable should outperform the wii u especially for a mainly 2D platformer like this.

Switch in portable mode is more capable than Wii U, we have seen this demonstrated in pretty much every other conversion between the two from Zelda to FAST RMX to Bayonetta 1/2, all games which are more demanding than Tropical Freeze. Switch has two performance profiles when portable though, 307MHz or 384MHz, and the developer has the choice to use the lower powered one if they prefer. In this case, they likely figured nobody would notice a slight res drop and so prioritized maximum battery life.

Mandalore76 said:
curl-6 said:

Tropical Freeze was never an especially pretty game even by Wii U standards, but 1080p docked and a perfect 60fps is nice I suppose.

Really is overpriced though.

Really?  When I first played the game at release, I thought they were trying to make it too pretty.  Seeing every strand of hair on DK in HD in the cutscenes was almost offputting in my opinion.  I don't need for a mascot character in a platformer to look like an actual real live ape to enjoy said platformer.

I do agree that jacking up the price for the Switch remaster is a mistake though.  Already having it on Wii U, I'm going to pass on this one.

The fur shaders were nifty but other than that the game had very basic lighting and effects, it looked like a mid-gen PS3/360 game.

DonFerrari said: 

Except that there are tons of Nintendo fans, including many in this very thread condemning the game's price, but hey, don't let that get in the way of your agenda.