By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Switch vs Wii U

DonFerrari said:
Slownenberg said:
Nintendo needs to implement a $40 standard price tag for ports of their Wii U games. I'd be interested in getting some Wii U ports, but the only one I bought (or will buy) for even close to $60 is Mario Kart. 4 year old games are supposed to cost less, not MORE than they did when they came out! so insane. Nintendo really needs to offer better deals on their old games. The other systems are sooo much better about this. By the time a Nintendo franchise game has been out for four years it should absolutely have a price cut, and instead we have a 4 year old game coming out on a whole new system with a price increase! That's just a big FU to Switch owners.

On this... Nintendo fanbase defends that they keep the 60usd even 4 years after release to keep the value of the game... while every other customer is pleased with cuts and paying less. Some twist logic.

Stop generalizing millions of people into a single entity. There are multiple people in the "Nintendo fanbase" in this thread alone who are saying it shouldnt be $60.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
"The visual design works well at 720p and the bump to 1080p allows smaller details to shine but it might surprise you how subtle the jump in pixel count can appear in many scenes. Aside from these minor visual tweaks and the increase in resolution, there isn't much else in the way of visual enhancements."

"Visuals aside, there is another major enhancement worth discussing - loading times. Starting the game has a 40 second loading time with DKC running from disc on Wii U, which is cut down to a mere 11 seconds on Switch."

So a minor upgrade in graphics, but it loads a lot faster. Wish they'd thrown in DKC: Returns with it, considering it's a full price release.

It will probably sell enough at full price anyway. So Nintendo doesn't really have to do anything and they are taking full advantage of that. Sony did the same with the GOW 3 and TLOU remaster. Nintendo is a business and its primary objective is making money and releasing the game at full price will probably make them more money.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Barkley said:
"The visual design works well at 720p and the bump to 1080p allows smaller details to shine but it might surprise you how subtle the jump in pixel count can appear in many scenes. Aside from these minor visual tweaks and the increase in resolution, there isn't much else in the way of visual enhancements."

"Visuals aside, there is another major enhancement worth discussing - loading times. Starting the game has a 40 second loading time with DKC running from disc on Wii U, which is cut down to a mere 11 seconds on Switch."

So a minor upgrade in graphics, but it loads a lot faster. Wish they'd thrown in DKC: Returns with it, considering it's a full price release.

It will probably sell enough at full price anyway. So Nintendo doesn't really have to do anything and they are taking full advantage of that. Sony did the same with the GOW 3 and TLOU remaster. Nintendo is a business and its primary objective is making money and releasing the game at full price will probably make them more money.

It will probably sell a good deal better than the original release, i would say in the 2-3 million range.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Qwark said:
Barkley said:

Ok but I wasn't speaking from a business perspective...

Also GoW 3 was $40 and TLOU:R was $50 and was only a year old.

DonFerrari said:
Slownenberg said:
Nintendo needs to implement a $40 standard price tag for ports of their Wii U games. I'd be interested in getting some Wii U ports, but the only one I bought (or will buy) for even close to $60 is Mario Kart. 4 year old games are supposed to cost less, not MORE than they did when they came out! so insane. Nintendo really needs to offer better deals on their old games. The other systems are sooo much better about this. By the time a Nintendo franchise game has been out for four years it should absolutely have a price cut, and instead we have a 4 year old game coming out on a whole new system with a price increase! That's just a big FU to Switch owners.

On this... Nintendo fanbase defends that they keep the 60usd even 4 years after release to keep the value of the game... while every other customer is pleased with cuts and paying less. Some twist logic.

Will you ever stop generalizing the entire fanbase? There are countless posters in this very thread who are unhappy with the price.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
DonFerrari said:

Will you ever stop generalizing the entire fanbase? There are countless posters in this very thread who are unhappy with the price.

If 3 Nintendo fans defend something, obviously that means the entire fanbase of millions share the same opinion. Its just common sense.

If anybody here that owns a Switch and didn't own a Wii U, I urge you to check this game out. It's one of the best 2D platformers ever made.

So, to make this clear even for DonFerrari, I am not defending the price.

With this out of the way, the Nintendo Switch already surpassed the install base of the Wii U. Therefore, under the false asumption that every Wii U owner already has a Switch at this point, this game is new to every new customer. Therefore, a price like this can be justified even for a game that is already four years old. Skyrim is 60 as well, remember? How old is Skyrim?

Staying with Skyrim as an example, the age of a game is irrelevant, anyways. What matters is if people are interested in buying it for the asked price or if they are not. Skyrim still sold pretty okay as far as we know and people like to have it on the Switch. Super Mario Bros. is still one of the most sold games on whatever form of Eshop it appears. That's the true magic that happens here. Whether DKCTF has a difference of 10 bucks or not is more or less irrelevant in the big picture.

And if you already have it on the Wii U, there is absolutley no reason to buy it again. You are not the target group, unless you want to play it on the go. Nintendo doesn't expect you to buy it again because it has a higher resolution. A few more pixels don't improve the game, seriously.

zorg1000 said:
GoOnKid said:

If 3 Nintendo fans defend something, obviously that means the entire fanbase of millions share the same opinion. Its just common sense.

Oh right, I forgot. Happens so often, lately.

GoOnKid said:

So, to make this clear even for DonFerrari, I am not defending the price.

With this out of the way, the Nintendo Switch already surpassed the install base of the Wii U. Therefore, under the false asumption that every Wii U owner already has a Switch at this point, this game is new to every new customer. Therefore, a price like this can be justified even for a game that is already four years old. Skyrim is 60 as well, remember? How old is Skyrim?

Staying with Skyrim as an example, the age of a game is irrelevant, anyways. What matters is if people are interested in buying it for the asked price or if they are not. Skyrim still sold pretty okay as far as we know and people like to have it on the Switch. Super Mario Bros. is still one of the most sold games on whatever form of Eshop it appears. That's the true magic that happens here. Whether DKCTF has a difference of 10 bucks or not is more or less irrelevant in the big picture.

And if you already have it on the Wii U, there is absolutley no reason to buy it again. You are not the target group, unless you want to play it on the go. Nintendo doesn't expect you to buy it again because it has a higher resolution. A few more pixels don't improve the game, seriously.

I am the target group for this, and there is no way in hell I'm buying this for $60. When the $10 difference is a $10 increase on a 4 year old game from a previous system saying $10 bucks is irrelevant kind of misses the point don't you think. This should be discounted from its original price, not the same as its original price, and instead they went with the crazy move to actually increase its price four years and one console onwards.

You're saying Super Mario Bros gets great sales on eshops, okay cuz it costs a few bucks. If they released Super Mario Bros for $60 it would sell zero copies.

It's great that they are bringing the game to the Switch. If the price were the same as when it came out that'd be very annoying, but increasing the price of an old game is just outrageous. I'm only one person, but they lost a sale right here due to stupid business practices.