By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Switch vs Wii U

zorg1000 said:
Slownenberg said:
Damn wait it cost $10 LESS on Wii U??

Wow that's crazy. Yeah considering it was $50 on Wii U if anything this game should be $40 on the Switch. Hopefully it gets poor sales and then Nintendo drops price to $40 by the holidays.

I dont agree with it costing more than the original release but i definitely dont want it to fail. The game is amazing and is totally worth the asking price and deserves to sell far better than it did on Wii U.

Well I just mean until they cut the price, then I'd love if it did really well.

Really, a 4 year old port of a game that cost less than full price on initial release costing full price for the port is just insane. I love that they are porting Wii U games to the Switch, and I have heard this game is awesome, but these should be $40 games. I guess Mario Kart is similar, though adding a battle mode and having all the dlc could justify the full price tag, though with Mario Kart I consider it the Switch's Mario Kart, rather than just porting an old game, because while the Switch may get another Mario Kart its not gonna come out for a bunch of years because 8 DX is THE Switch Mario Kart.



Around the Network

Considering the sales of previous Donkey Kong Country games and the quality of this particular game, their sales on Wii U were simply ridiculous. I guess Nintendo knows that and considers it a "new game" and its target is people who did not have the WiiU or people who already played it but love the game too much, like me xD. For me it is a game that is worth every penny of dollar, but I respect that someone does not consider it that way because it is a port.

I guess that's the logic that Nintendo is applying to all Wii U ports.

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 24 April 2018

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Any rumours of the Wii DKC game coming to Switch or just Tropico Freeze?



I thought it already looked good on the WiiU. I won't buy it again, I think I only got halfway through it before putting it down.



fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

Most certainly.

Actually, if we're to take this game as a benchmark for Switch's undocked mode then it's regression from the WII U performance wise ?! 

I specifically heard that DF mentioned that it was running a resolution of 648p undocked compared to the original release on WII U at 720p resolution ?! 

Specs without any doubts are telling us that Switch even in portable mode is more stronger than Wii U. Point that this games runs at 648p in portable mode compared to 720p on Wii U dont mean nothing (esapcily beacuse MK8D that definatly look more demanding is 720p in portable mode), DF in Resetera thread said that's possible that Nintendo done that to increase battery life for game. Also onother strange example is Bayonetta on Switch, it runs at 720p in portable and docked mode, and offocurse that Switch in docked mode could run Bayonetta at higher resolution.

 

AlfredoTurkey said: 
So, it's basically the same game I own but slightly sharper and slightly faster to load.

Well 1080p vs 720p is not small difference, and loading times are much faster not slightly, and you get full handheld mode, but this game of first place aims people that didn had Wii U (so we talking about huge majority of Switch owners).

 

 

Azzanation said: 
Any rumours of the Wii DKC game coming to Switch or just Tropico Freeze?

No, we dont have any indications that DKC will come to Switch, maybe Nintendo will offer it over VC.



Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Specs without any doubts are telling us that Switch even in portable mode is more stronger than Wii U. Point that this games runs at 648p in portable mode compared to 720p on Wii U dont mean nothing (esapcily beacuse MK8D that definatly look more demanding is 720p in portable mode), DF in Resetera thread said that's possible that Nintendo done that to increase battery life for game. Also onother strange example is Bayonetta on Switch, it runs at 720p in portable and docked mode, and offocurse that Switch in docked mode could run Bayonetta at higher resolution.

Of course the Switch is faster in the vast portions of many games compared to the WII U (just about everybody acknowledges it) but you can't say that it means NOTHING in a conclusion when we have sources like Digital Foundry to brief us on the specifics when they conduct these comparisons ... 



fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Specs without any doubts are telling us that Switch even in portable mode is more stronger than Wii U. Point that this games runs at 648p in portable mode compared to 720p on Wii U dont mean nothing (esapcily beacuse MK8D that definatly look more demanding is 720p in portable mode), DF in Resetera thread said that's possible that Nintendo done that to increase battery life for game. Also onother strange example is Bayonetta on Switch, it runs at 720p in portable and docked mode, and offocurse that Switch in docked mode could run Bayonetta at higher resolution.

Of course the Switch is faster in the vast portions of many games compared to the WII U (just about everybody acknowledges it) but you can't say that it means NOTHING in a conclusion when we have sources like Digital Foundry to brief us on the specifics when they conduct these comparisons ... 

Did you actualy read what I wrote!?

Again, fact that this game runs at 648p in portable mode compared to 720p on Wii U dont mean that Switch is less powerful than Switch, (esapcily beacuse MK8D that definatly look more demanding is 720p in portable mode), Digital Foundry in Resetera thread said that's possible that Nintendo done that to increase battery life for game. Also onother strange example is Bayonetta on Switch, it runs at 720p in portable and docked mode, and offocurse that Switch in docked mode could run Bayonetta at higher resolution. Also have on mind that when you porting game designed specifically for totally different type of hardware, you want have best results in any case. So no, you cant use one specifk game as a benchmark for Switch's undocked mode.



Miyamotoo said:

Did you actualy read what I wrote!?

Again, fact that this game runs at 648p in portable mode compared to 720p on Wii U dont mean that Switch is less powerful than Switch, (esapcily beacuse MK8D that definatly look more demanding is 720p in portable mode), Digital Foundry in Resetera thread said that's possible that Nintendo done that to increase battery life for game. Also onother strange example is Bayonetta on Switch, it runs at 720p in portable and docked mode, and offocurse that Switch in docked mode could run Bayonetta at higher resolution. Also have on mind that when you porting game designed specifically for totally different type of hardware, you want have best results in any case. So no, you cant use one specifk game as a benchmark for Switch's undocked mode.

I think you need to read what I wrote cause I still think the Switch in portable mode is still more performant in the vast majority of the games compared to WII U ... 

If you can or DF can prove the assertion that it was done to conserve battery life then hopefully we'll be able to reverse engineer the Switch to see what clocks it was running at ... 

You can't compare Bayonetta to DKCTF on a technical basis, both have different technology! (not even the same code or let alone content) 

A implies B is a common logical fallacy ... 



fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Did you actualy read what I wrote!?

Again, fact that this game runs at 648p in portable mode compared to 720p on Wii U dont mean that Switch is less powerful than Switch, (esapcily beacuse MK8D that definatly look more demanding is 720p in portable mode), Digital Foundry in Resetera thread said that's possible that Nintendo done that to increase battery life for game. Also onother strange example is Bayonetta on Switch, it runs at 720p in portable and docked mode, and offocurse that Switch in docked mode could run Bayonetta at higher resolution. Also have on mind that when you porting game designed specifically for totally different type of hardware, you want have best results in any case. So no, you cant use one specifk game as a benchmark for Switch's undocked mode.

I think you need to read what I wrote cause I still think the Switch in portable mode is still more performant in the vast majority of the games compared to WII U ... 

If you can or DF can prove the assertion that it was done to conserve battery life then hopefully we'll be able to reverse engineer the Switch to see what clocks it was running at ... 

You can't compare Bayonetta to DKCTF on a technical basis, both have different technology! (not even the same code or let alone content) 

A implies B is a common logical fallacy ... 

Switch even in portable mode is more powerful than Wii U, period. Power of hardware cant depand from game to game, what can be difirent from game to game is what kind of port is, how much they will push hardware, will they pay atentione on battery life, if is lazy port, if port used most of hardware from is getting ported so port to totally different platform cant gave best results...

Bayonetta 2 is definitely more demanding game than DKTF, also MK8D is also more demanding game than 2D platformer.

 

What Digital Foundry wrote:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/7142617/

https://www.resetera.com/posts/7146747/

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 25 April 2018

Tropical Freeze was never an especially pretty game even by Wii U standards, but 1080p docked and a perfect 60fps is nice I suppose.

Really is overpriced though.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.