By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 Could Be Releasing This Year. Big Focus on VR and More Details.

I think this is absolutely asinine. For every obvious reason, but also the fact that this would mean they would be releasing a new console months from now, yet haven’t even announced it yet (and at this point it would just be announced at E3, just 5 months before it would release).

Ps5 releasing this year would be completely idiotic. Ps4 still has awesome momentum right now, with last year being its best year to date (even without a price cut), and this year having the potential to top 2017 if they do a price cut. Ontop of that, PS4 has 4 games releasing in the next 2 years (TLoU p2, GoW, Spider-Man, Death Stranding) that each have the potential to be bigger than every previous exclusive (save for maybe U4). Even just announcing ps5 would detract from the attention they want focused on their very profitable ps4 and all of its exclusives.

Around the Network

Yes, 2019, very much what i expect. People who think its to early, forget the pivotal VR, that needs a sound base. PS VR released Oct. 2016. It's 2018, 2019 PS5 release, 2020 PS VR 2. That would be a gap of 3-4 years. It was predicted it would be around 2-3 years between generations. HTC recently released a new Vive version.

When is Sony suppose to release PS 5? Q4 2020? PS VR 2021? Five years is a lot in the fast moving tech industry of today.

Hunting Season is done...

VR needs to get actual games that are worth it before it can be "pivotal". It ain't there yet.

You guys late for the April fool

Btw this is what we call company deception in confusing their competitor (Microsoft ) , by revealing fake info on the internet. Nowadays info are easily acquired in many ways, even a casual people will get it on forum and social media. With this fake info, Microsoft and Nintendo will be deceived.

The developer (some developer close to SONY/ or their own Studio ) probably has the dev kit, it's the prototype dev kit. It does not mean the spec is the final spec and it does not mean it close to it's release date. Because like previous consoles, they had many prototype and many early version that changed overtimes prior to release date. Because they need to make the games, and that games need to be made in 2 or 3 years times periods.

PS4 is selling Like Crazy , and it will be selling more in 2018 and 2019 due it's first party exclusive and 3rd party deals. That's not even include of price drop possibility. How come they want to completely kill the potential sells of PS4.

Navi is not yet release and Ryzen APU is just out, the price is still very expensive , even thou it's cheap compared to their competitor (Intel), It's still very expensive if we want to included Navi GPU. Also consoles price are targeted at 500 USD to 400 USD, SONY probably waiting another year for better price and optimization.

So i don't see any possibility PS5 coming in 2018 , even i don't a see a potential sales at 2019. 2020 is a perfect year for SONY , with reveal date in February 2020 like PS4 did and release at November or October 2020.

jason1637 said:
VGPolyglot said:
WTF, 2018? There's no way I see it coming out this year.

Thats the authors speculation based on all the dev kits being out. A few weeks ago we heard CD Project Red has a PS5 dev kit but i think 2019 is more likely. 

Dev kits only mean that Sony has a good idea what the PS5's architecture is gonna be like and they want devs to start working on games now, knowing full well that games take years and years to develop. I think this only means that given the success of the PS4, Sony does not want to be caught "empty handed" when the PS5 comes out on the market with NO games. By giving kits early in my opinion Sony wants big hits READY on day one of the machine's release.

But a PS5 release this year is unthinkable as it would undermine the juggernaut that is the PS4's sales. You won't see a PS5 on the market before the END of 2019, remember that. At the most we'll have a teaser at E3  2018 or later in the year for the PS5, nothing more.

Around the Network

I would of thought fall 2019 was a fairly safe bet but this may launch at a premium price and be fully compatible with ps4 and ps4 pro. A VR headset will likely just plug in the front with a single cable connection. Maybe a much cheaper simplified PS5 will come out in 2020 or 2021 but I'm not expecting the initial PS5 to have a low launch price. Like PC's this will be a higher performance model at higher price that still runs all your old software and will have a select range of next gen software that take advantage of the more powerful hardware. It doesn't have to disrupt existing ps4 and ps4 pro sales but can co-exist until it can drop in price and then perhaps the ps4 is discontinued and ps4 pro becomes the new entry level model.

this is just another non-sense rumor that after NX launched and can't have rumor.

Will keep thinking 2020-2021 launch until proven wrong.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

longer answer:

no

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Hiku said:

I think the topic title is doing a disservice to the rest of the information by focusing on the speculation portion, rather than the supposed inside information. You see people posting commenting ONLY on that part.
It was just an unnecessary piece of speculation that shouldn't be the highlight here.
Supermetaldave went over the info fairly thoroughly in a recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpyBcv9sAQ

He still believes it won't be out until 2020 though, but that doesn't de-legitimize the rest of the info.

I use to think 2020 but with all this info ihave a strong feeling its 2019 now.

Please no.

This gen only hit its stride last year....there is still a lot that can be done by the current machines. PS5 in 2018, or even in 2019, would feel forced, and not natural. Let the tech cook up a little bit, Sony. Release PS5 no earlier than fall 2020.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.