By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 Could Be Releasing This Year. Big Focus on VR and More Details.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Genesis came out three years after the Master System. N64 came out five years after SNES. Gamecube came out five years after N64 and Wii came out five years after Gamecube. Dreamcast came out four years after Saturn. PS2 came out five years after PS1. Xbox 360 came out four years after Xbox. Switch came out four years after Wii U.

So, since NES launched, which is the modern era, eight home consoles launched within five years or less. Three consoles launched within six years and only two were seven or more years... unless my numbers are off.

That is not how it works.

The key question is: Is there new technology that is affordable for a mass market product. In the heydays of computing, a technology jump roughly happened every other year. These days are long gone. Nowadays technology "jumps" in the percent range.

If you want a PS5 this year (not going to happen, absolutely not), you'd get 14nm stuff. In the end something a little faster than an XBox1X. That is not worth the effort, given the PS4Pro is already close there. End of 2019 is technically feasible, but with still expensive and fresh (hence unoptimised) 7nm technology.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Mnementh said:

Basically a six year cycle is the norm, although deviations were always happening. PS3 lasted seven years to the successor for instance. Only Sega was often cutting it shorter.

Genesis came out three years after the Master System. N64 came out five years after SNES. Gamecube came out five years after N64 and Wii came out five years after Gamecube. Dreamcast came out four years after Saturn. PS2 came out five years after PS1. Xbox 360 came out four years after Xbox. Switch came out four years after Wii U.

So, since NES launched, which is the modern era, eight home consoles launched within five years or less. Three consoles launched within six years and only two were seven or more years... unless my numbers are off.

Well, let's see:

console release successor cycle
NES July 1983 (Japan) November 1990 7 years 4 months (88 months)
SNES November 1990 (Japan) June 1996 5 years 7 months (67 months)
N64 June 1996 (Japan, US was later that year) September 2001 5 years 3 months (63 months)
GC September 2001 (US two months later) November 2006 5 years 2 months (62 months)
Wii November 2006 (worldwide in december) November 2012 6 years (72 months)
WiiU November 2012 March 2017 4 years 4 months (52 months)
Gameboy April 1989 (Japan, US later that year) March 2001 (GB Advance) 11 years 11 months (143 months)
GB Advance March 2001 (Japan, worldwide later that year) November 2004 3 years 8 months (44 months)
DS November 2004 February 2011 6 years 3 months (75 months)
3DS February 2011 March 2017 6 years 1 month (73 months)
Sega Master System October 1985 (Japan) October 1988 3 years (36 months)
Sega Genesis October 1988 (Japan) November 1994 6 years 1 month (73 months)
Sega Saturn November 1994 (Japan) November 1988 4 years (48 months)
PS1 December 1994 (Japan) March 2000 5 years 3 months (63 months)
PS2 March 2000 (Japan, later that year worldwide) November 2006 6 years 8 months (80 months)
PS3 November 2006 November 2013 7 years (84 months)
PSP December 2004 December 2011 7 years (84 months)
Xbox November 2001 November 2005 4 years (48 months)
X360 November 2005 November 2013 8 years (96 months)

So, it differs a lot. Median is 72 months, exactly six years. Average is 71 months, five years and eleven months. Generally failed consoles lived shorter, not always had more successful consoles a longer time until the successor.

For consoles released after 2000 the median is 73 months, six years and one month. Average is 70 months, five years and ten months. So, for newer consoles did not change that much.

If we look only at Sony (as we talk about a possible PS5) we see a median of 82 months (six years and ten months) and an average of 78 months (six years and four months). So with Sony we could even assume a life cycle a bit longer than six years.

So generally the data supports that a six year cycle is the norm. For Sony we could assume more.

EDIT: One thing to notice though: for early consoles the releases in different regions of the world were often years apart. As in recent years the worldwide release was spread out less much, it means in some regions the cycle was shorter than written in the table above (If for the first console it released a year later in the US compared to Japan, and the next had releases in both regions at the same time, so the cycle in the US lasted a year shorter). But as all the manufacturers released the last console in all three major regions (Japan, US, europe) at around the same time, it should not matter so much now.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 05 April 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

AlfredoTurkey said:
zorg1000 said:

Ok home consoles, that doesnt change anything about my last post.

Also, how do we know its an aberration and not the market changing?

We don't... do we? So why did you say it has? Because one single gen did? 

Because it seems highly unlikely that PS5 or XB4 release this year which would make it the 3rd PS console & 2nd XB console in a row to have a 6+ year cycle.

Also, since 2000 the only consoles to have less than a 6 year cycle were GC, XB & Wii U. All three of these consoles sold under 25m and had under 12% marketshare.

Basically, since the beginning of the century, only failures have been replaced in under 6 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Medisti said:
Mnementh said:

The PS2 sold well after the release of the PS3 for multiple reasons. For one Sony was still expanding into worldwide markets. Also the PS3 struggled out of the gate, mainly because of the hight price, but also because HD seemingly delayed game development at first (WiiU run into the same struggles with long development cycles. For these reasons the PS2 was still very attractive. I doubt the same happens with PS4. It didn't happen for PS3. Back then people said, the PS3 will sell well past the Wii-numbers, because look how well PS2 did after the release of PS3. Back then I already pointed out, that the PS2 was an abberation in that regard, and I was right.

Hey, if Sony releases the PS5 this year, it could struggle out of the gate and the PS4 could pull a PS2. :P The fatigue of the last generation being so long had a lot to do with the PS3 dying so quickly after the PS4 launched.

Hehe, releasing the PS5 this year would be a pretty dumb move on Sonys side, but still I doubt the PS4 would sell better than with a later release of the successor. It might sell around the same, for the reason you said.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

i think many are missing one factor in the argument.. the key people who were behind the success of PS4 is no longer in charge. Kaz, Jack Tretton, Andrew House, Adam. Dont know who is designing the next console.. is it Mark Cerny, or someone else?.. it will be stupid of Sony not to hire him again for PS5.

The thing is sony has a history of getting cocky and over ambitious with success, like PS2 to PS3. so with new management I wont be surprised if we start hearing about the rumbling of PS5 announcement early 2019, with the release in fall.

And all the prominent developers have gotten Black box but those kits contain high end component which in no way will make onto PS5 unless it costed $1000. the only utter importance in the box are API's and framework

Around the Network

The PS4 is at its peak/almost equal to peak year and people think they'll release the PS5 this year. I think it will be a 2020 release with 2019 being almost as likely. Definitely won't be released later than 2020 though (even if it wouldn't be such a crazy idea).

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Guys semiaccurate were first to report that nintendo switch will be using nvidia tegra chip. Not only first but like 6 months ahead of everybody else.
https://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/semiaccurate-nintendo-nx-handheld-to-use-nvidia-tegra-based-soc.1218933/

So no need to just dismiss them outright. But since they claim devkits gone out I would w8 about 2 months to see if eurogamer or kotaku to confirm this.

Now 2018 release is just very unlikely I always believed fall 2019, but since this rumor there is probably a small chance we see the ps5 1H 2019.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 05 April 2018

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

thismeintiel said:
Hmm, looks like my predictions may be proving true if this is accurate. 2019 release. Zen+ CPU, my guess is a slightly pared down and/or underclocked Ryzen 7 2700(X). Vega GPU with enhancements from Navi, guessing something along the lines of a Vega 64, which is 12.5 Tflops. And we'll probably see 16/32 GB of GDDR6, with 1/2 GB of DDR4 for the OS.

I think you ll see a Zen cpu (with SMT disabled/removed) so 8cores/8threads only (not 8/16).
However because of the shrink, I could see these running upwards of 3ghz+.

Going from a jaguar at 1.6ghz -> custum zen at 3ghz+ would be a huuuuge step up in terms of cpu prowess.

GDDR5x  with 16 GB, and probably 4gb DDR3 for OS.
Navi GPU at around 12 Tflops (akin to a Vega 64).

Could such a box be 400$? probably.

I  wonder what MS is thinking with all this news out....
I doubt they want to give PS5 a year headstart, so hopefully they are ready for a 2019 launch too.

There is literally no reason for Sony to accelerate onto next-gen. It would kill the goodwill they have with consumers rights now. As someone who recently bought a Pro, I'd feel very betrayed and would be unlikely to be interested in jumping to the next gen yet. I'd probably end up buying a Switch instead. I'm sure many others feel the same way. Unlike every other gen before, now we witness the fewest gains for our buck, whilst at the same time developer costs increase for marginal technological and gameplay gains. Such a move would be suicide, especially if they ditch compatibility with PS4.

I think Sony is smarter than this. And Microsoft releasing a new XBOX after all the promises on the X would be an even more humongous marketing suicide. They would be literally waving bye bye to their customer base entirely.

Not happening this year. At the earliest late 2019, or early 2020 more likely.

If VR is baked in at the silicon level in PS5, will it be a burden for traditional games like Kinect 2 integration was with the reserved resources?