By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 Could Be Releasing This Year. Big Focus on VR and More Details.

Seems fairly unlikely that Sony would replace PS4 right now while it is doing so well. This is going to be a big year for the console with three big first-party titles and a huge thrid-party and i don't think Sony would distract from that

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
VGPolyglot said:
WTF, 2018? There's no way I see it coming out this year.

Thats the authors speculation based on all the dev kits being out. A few weeks ago we heard CD Project Red has a PS5 dev kit but i think 2019 is more likely. 

Then the authors speculation is going wild. End of 2019 is realistic, it matches the cycle. But 2017 was up in sales for PS4, no way they release the successor the year after the peak year. And the devkits being out means not this year. Games take a long time to develop, to deliver early devkits for feedback from game manufacturers and maybe use the feedback to change some stuff seems not that far-fetched. The early devkits also help the game makers to get games ready for launch. If devkits get in their hands only months before release, they cannot finish the games in time.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

AlfredoTurkey said:
VGPolyglot said:
WTF, 2018? There's no way I see it coming out this year.

That would be a five year cycle which is the norm. I think a 2019 launch is more likely though.

Basically a six year cycle is the norm, although deviations were always happening. PS3 lasted seven years to the successor for instance. Only Sega was often cutting it shorter.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

MasterThief said:
zorg1000 said:

5 years used to be the norm, not so much anymore.

DS-6.25 years

PSP-7 years

360-8 years

Wii-6 years

PS3-7 years

All of the previous generation consoles had a 6-8 year cycle before their successor released and since 2004, Wii U is the only console to be replaced in under 6 years and that was because it was a massive flop.

you're looking at consoles that went through global recession

PS2 was 5 years. PS1 was 5 years. 

What are you talking about? PS2 release in 2000 (march in japan, end of the year in the US and europe), the PS3 released end of 2006 (early 2007 for europe). PS1 released end of 1994 in japan and fall 1995 in europe and the US. So the PS1 lasted nearly six years in japan, and five years in the west, but basically because Sony was adjusting the worldwide release dates nearer to each other.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I'd prefer 2020 or even 2021, although I think 2019 or 2020 are likely (late 2020 release date is the most likely to me).

I'm not interested in VR and I'm also not ready to waste more money.

What he said. ^^

Around the Network
Medisti said:
If they were to launch the PS5 soon, it might not cut into the PS4 as much as people think IF the PS4 gets a decent price drop. The PS2 continued to sell incredibly well even after the PS3 was out. Of course, I don't believe a PS5 would come out this year, but I could end up being wrong.

The PS2 sold well after the release of the PS3 for multiple reasons. For one Sony was still expanding into worldwide markets. Also the PS3 struggled out of the gate, mainly because of the hight price, but also because HD seemingly delayed game development at first (WiiU run into the same struggles with long development cycles. For these reasons the PS2 was still very attractive. I doubt the same happens with PS4. It didn't happen for PS3. Back then people said, the PS3 will sell well past the Wii-numbers, because look how well PS2 did after the release of PS3. Back then I already pointed out, that the PS2 was an abberation in that regard, and I was right.

Mnementh said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

That would be a five year cycle which is the norm. I think a 2019 launch is more likely though.

Basically a six year cycle is the norm, although deviations were always happening. PS3 lasted seven years to the successor for instance. Only Sega was often cutting it shorter.

Genesis came out three years after the Master System. N64 came out five years after SNES. Gamecube came out five years after N64 and Wii came out five years after Gamecube. Dreamcast came out four years after Saturn. PS2 came out five years after PS1. Xbox 360 came out four years after Xbox. Switch came out four years after Wii U.

So, since NES launched, which is the modern era, eight home consoles launched within five years or less. Three consoles launched within six years and only two were seven or more years... unless my numbers are off.

Mnementh said:
Medisti said:
If they were to launch the PS5 soon, it might not cut into the PS4 as much as people think IF the PS4 gets a decent price drop. The PS2 continued to sell incredibly well even after the PS3 was out. Of course, I don't believe a PS5 would come out this year, but I could end up being wrong.

The PS2 sold well after the release of the PS3 for multiple reasons. For one Sony was still expanding into worldwide markets. Also the PS3 struggled out of the gate, mainly because of the hight price, but also because HD seemingly delayed game development at first (WiiU run into the same struggles with long development cycles. For these reasons the PS2 was still very attractive. I doubt the same happens with PS4. It didn't happen for PS3. Back then people said, the PS3 will sell well past the Wii-numbers, because look how well PS2 did after the release of PS3. Back then I already pointed out, that the PS2 was an abberation in that regard, and I was right.

Hey, if Sony releases the PS5 this year, it could struggle out of the gate and the PS4 could pull a PS2. :P The fatigue of the last generation being so long had a lot to do with the PS3 dying so quickly after the PS4 launched.

2018 would be a huge mistake. Even 2019 launch won’t be that great either.

They said they wanted a shorter time between announcement and release of hardware, which started with the PS4 pro being officially announced only a month or two before release. They referred to Apple on it I believe.

But I don't think a release this year is a good idea, and I don't think it will happen.

As for the rest of the rumour, they apparently leaked the PS4 pro, Scorpio and nvidia/Nintendo partnership, don't know if that's true but if it is then they have to be taken seriously.