By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 Could Be Releasing This Year. Big Focus on VR and More Details.

Xbox November 15th 2001---------------------------------------- PS1  December 3rd 1994

4 years later------------------------------------------------------------5 years 3 months later

Xbox 360  November 2005---------------------------------------- PS2 March 4th 2000

8 years later------------------------------------------------------------6 years 8 months later

Xbox One November 22nd 2013---------------------------------PS3 November 11th 2006

4 years 4 months and counting...---------------------------------7 years later

Xbox Too (pending)--------------------------------------------------PS4 November 15th 2013

----------------------------------------------------------------------------4 years 4 months and counting...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------PS5 (pending)

A November launch for both consoles in 2019 (6 years) would be my guess.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
MasterThief said:

the ps2 was printing more money and they released PS3

And then they bled $$$ profusely 

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

PortisheadBiscuit said:
MasterThief said:

the ps2 was printing more money and they released PS3

that because the ps3 was shit at launch. ps1 was printing money and we got ps2. was printing money still. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
zorg1000 said:

5 years used to be the norm, not so much anymore.

DS-6.25 years

PSP-7 years

360-8 years

Wii-6 years

PS3-7 years

All of the previous generation consoles had a 6-8 year cycle before their successor released and since 2004, Wii U is the only console to be replaced in under 6 years and that was because it was a massive flop.

First off, I was talking about HOME CONSOLES. Second, last generation was more of an aberration. The PS4 was pretty weak compared to PS3 which was vastly more powerful than PS2... which allowed it to stretch the gen. 

Ok home consoles, that doesnt change anything about my last post.

Also, how do we know its an aberration and not the market changing?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Not this year and not next, either. It's way too early for a successor.

Around the Network

Hmm, looks like my predictions may be proving true if this is accurate. 2019 release. Zen+ CPU, my guess is a slightly pared down and/or underclocked Ryzen 7 2700(X). Vega GPU with enhancements from Navi, guessing something along the lines of a Vega 64, which is 12.5 Tflops. And we'll probably see 16/32 GB of GDDR6, with 1/2 GB of DDR4 for the OS.

The only reason they might do this would be fears over the Switch, but they have been consistently outselling the Switch WW so far. That doesn’t mean that will continue through or past this year but would warrant waiting till 2019 for launch. They would have to be pretty greedy and have an irrational desire to have the entire industry to themselves if they went so far as to announce it this year to deflate the Switch and try to gain more ground in Japan. My prediction is 2019, but it is Sony, the industry has been extra vibrant, and, along with Nintendo consolidating their two platform lines, the strategy options are pretty unique right now.

MasterThief said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

that because the ps3 was shit at launch

yup, so why would Sony prematurely launch a system again? 

Fall 2019. Book it.

(No insider knowledge. Just a gut feeling I’ve had for awhile)

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

First off, I was talking about HOME CONSOLES. Second, last generation was more of an aberration. The PS4 was pretty weak compared to PS3 which was vastly more powerful than PS2... which allowed it to stretch the gen. 

Ok home consoles, that doesnt change anything about my last post.

Also, how do we know its an aberration and not the market changing?

We don't... do we? So why did you say it has? Because one single gen did?