By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 Could Be Releasing This Year. Big Focus on VR and More Details.

JRPGfan said:
thismeintiel said:
Hmm, looks like my predictions may be proving true if this is accurate. 2019 release. Zen+ CPU, my guess is a slightly pared down and/or underclocked Ryzen 7 2700(X). Vega GPU with enhancements from Navi, guessing something along the lines of a Vega 64, which is 12.5 Tflops. And we'll probably see 16/32 GB of GDDR6, with 1/2 GB of DDR4 for the OS.

I think you ll see a Zen cpu (with SMT disabled/removed) so 8cores/8threads only (not 8/16).
However because of the shrink, I could see these running upwards of 3ghz+.

Going from a jaguar at 1.6ghz -> custum zen at 3ghz+ would be a huuuuge step up in terms of cpu prowess.

GDDR5x  with 16 GB, and probably 4gb DDR3 for OS.
Navi GPU at around 12 Tflops (akin to a Vega 64).

Could such a box be 400$? probably.

I  wonder what MS is thinking with all this news out....
I doubt they want to give PS5 a year headstart, so hopefully they are ready for a 2019 launch too.

Not sure about MS. They might rush to get something together by 2019, but we know what happens to their HW when they rush. My guess they might wait til 2020. Of course, they may be able to make the XB2 a little more powerful than the PS5, but the damage will already be done by that point. A PS5 that's roughly 2x the power of the X, but for $399-$449, is going to do very well, especially with the brand power of the PS. If they add in B/C from PS4, it'll be adopted even faster. And if MS launches a year later, Sony can easily answer with a price cut of $50-$100 by the time they are ready. 

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Please no.

This gen only hit its stride last year....there is still a lot that can be done by the current machines. PS5 in 2018, or even in 2019, would feel forced, and not natural. Let the tech cook up a little bit, Sony. Release PS5 no earlier than fall 2020.

This. Tho I think I’d be happiest with 2021. 

No, god no. Announce it next year and release 2020, i'm perfectly fine with that. The capabilities of the PS4, PS4 Pro, XB1 and XB1X are perfectly fine at the moment, who is pushing for this increasingly ridiculous arms race in console tech? (consumers are, but still) Get a PC if you want constant, latest and greatest tech.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Fake news !

So, it will launch this year with dev kits released in this month?

At best this is PS4 Pro 2.

It's impossible to get a launch line up on a new system with 6 months of development.

Also, why in hell would they undercut their PS4 sales? PS4 is selling the most of any system.

This is a terrible rumor. I see reset era is just desperate for hits and doesn't have any standards.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
VR needs to get actual games that are worth it before it can be "pivotal". It ain't there yet.

I think that if true that the PS5 will have VR hardware in the motherboard, it is most probably that all games in 1st person (at least) will be mandatory to be VR enabled.

Not a single chance of it happening in 2018.
Small chances for 2019.
My bet is 2020.

Heavenly_King said:
Megiddo said:
VR needs to get actual games that are worth it before it can be "pivotal". It ain't there yet.

I think that if true that the PS5 will have VR hardware in the motherboard, it is most probably that all games in 1st person (at least) will be mandatory to be VR enabled.

It sounds as good as the mandatory kinect.

Feck VR! Stop trying to push it down people's throats.

Would anyone who believes PS5 will release this year like to make a bet with me?

If PS5 releases this year, I'll buy one and donate it to Toys for Tots this Xmas. If it doesn't release this year, you donate $100 to a similar charity. That's roughly 4:1 odds against release this year.

thismeintiel said:
JRPGfan said:

I think you ll see a Zen cpu (with SMT disabled/removed) so 8cores/8threads only (not 8/16).
However because of the shrink, I could see these running upwards of 3ghz+.

Going from a jaguar at 1.6ghz -> custum zen at 3ghz+ would be a huuuuge step up in terms of cpu prowess.

GDDR5x  with 16 GB, and probably 4gb DDR3 for OS.
Navi GPU at around 12 Tflops (akin to a Vega 64).

Could such a box be 400$? probably.

I  wonder what MS is thinking with all this news out....
I doubt they want to give PS5 a year headstart, so hopefully they are ready for a 2019 launch too.

Not sure about MS. They might rush to get something together by 2019, but we know what happens to their HW when they rush. My guess they might wait til 2020. Of course, they may be able to make the XB2 a little more powerful than the PS5, but the damage will already be done by that point. A PS5 that's roughly 2x the power of the X, but for $399-$449, is going to do very well, especially with the brand power of the PS. If they add in B/C from PS4, it'll be adopted even faster. And if MS launches a year later, Sony can easily answer with a price cut of $50-$100 by the time they are ready. 

the x kinda shows Microsoft knows how to pack a mighty punch inside a small box. If the ps5 releases with a fan cooler it will be much weaker than Microsoft’s box if the go with vapor chamber again. They got some insane clocks out of the x with it. Even if they release same day with the same gpu it will cause a difference of a few teraflops. Again it allows for much higher clocks. I actually hope they both have it. 

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.