By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: MS has marketing on Cyberpunk 2077, Battlefield V, Borderlands 3, Splinter Cell, and more

bananaking21 said:
I don't care who has marketing rights over cyberpunk as long as I get to see more of it already.

Agreed. The wait is killing me. 

Around the Network

Just give me Splinter Cell, please. (and bring back Ironside)

twintail said:

This list is usual suspects as far as ms marketing rights go. Real or not, anyone could have made this list while sleeping. That's how predictable it is.

It makes sense for a console maker to try and get marketing on the biggest games. So yeah, of course it's predictable, this list is pretty much all of the biggest AAA multiplat games releasing in the next year and a half, with the main exceptions being that Call of Duty  and Bethesda's next game (rumored for announce at E3) are missing. Not much reason for a console maker to try and get marketing on a multiplat series that doesn't sell well, and all of these are likely to sell well.

Borderlands 3- Borderlands 2 sold over 13m

Battlefield V- Battlefield 1 sold nearly 13m not including digital according to VGC

Cyberpunk 2077- CD Projekt's previous game, Witcher 3, has sold 12m not including console digital or GOG sales

Madden 19- Madden 18 has sold 4m+ from physical alone, EA claims console digital is over 40% now for their games, so probably over 7m with digital 

The Division 2- The Division sold 8m+ not including console digital

Shadow of the Tomb Raider- Rise of the Tomb Raider sold over 6m not including console digital

Anthem- Recent Bioware games pretty much all did 4m+ speaking (except for Andromeda), with their biggest series, Mass Effect, exceeding 6m at it's highest point

Splinter Cell- The last game in the series, Blacklist, managed to sell over 3m, and it was considered to be a disappointing entry which hurt it sales, the good entries in the series sell as much as 5m

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 04 April 2018

Angelus said:
bananaking21 said:
I don't care who has marketing rights over cyberpunk as long as I get to see more of it already.

Agreed. The wait is killing me. 

I wonder if it can top the Witcher 3. I honestly doubt it. The witcher 3's world was just so damn rich aith lore and characters. History that spanned decades with the books. Monsters and magic. It was just an extremely rich world with many different cultures and stories. And that was built on the foundation of 7 books and 2 previous games. 

well. that doesn't matter all that much. probably exclusive dlc here and there, thats cool

they still need to make new games

Around the Network

Marketing rights... lol

If the game is on other consoles, that's all that matters.

jason1637 said: 
PieToast said: 

I wonder if this is a new marketing push by Microsoft to see how much they would get back from having multiple exclusive marketing deals of big releases at once, or if they already knkw this would work.

i honestly don't know if exclusive marketing deals actually work. It seems the sales scale tip one way or the other depending on the game regardless of who has the marketing rights 

When you look at games that has MS marketing compared to games that dont games with MS marketing tend to help XBO out when it comes ot the games split.

For example using VGC for 8th gen only

Rainbow Six Siege with MS marketing the XBO version has 38.7% of the salles.

The Division with MS marketing the XBO version has a 40.2% of the sales.

Ghosts Recon wildlands without MS marketing the XBO has 33.3% of the sales.

Battlefeild 1 with MS marketing the XBO has 41.4% of the sales

Battlefeild Hardline without MS marketing the XBO has 36% of the sales.

AC Unity with MS marketing the XBO version had 46% of the sales.

AC Origins with MS marketing the XBO version has 35% of the sales.

AC Syndicate without MS marketing the XBO version has 28% of the sales.

CoD AW with MS marketing the XBO version has 40.9% of the sales.

CoD BO3 without MS marketing the XBO version has 32.4% of the sales

FIFA 17 with MS marketing the XBO version had 25.3% of the sales

FIFA 18 without MS marketing the XBO version had 20.7% of the sales.

I was curious, so I did some statistical analysis on those numbers. the difference between averages of with or without exclusive marketing comes out to 38.2 with and 30.08 without. Running a 2 tailed t-test I found a p-value of 0.052, which is not high enough to determine that there is a statistically significant difference between having or not having exclusive marketing rights.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Marketing rights... lol

everyone does it. Sony does it too

I don't like it because the gamer gets nothing out of it.

MasterThief said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Marketing rights... lol

everyone does it. Sony does it too

I don't like it because the gamer gets nothing out of it.

Oh I'm not saying it's stupid only because MS is doing it. It's just stupid period. If you can't get exclusive rights, don't bother. Save the money and develop your own games instead. 

shikamaru317 said:
twintail said:

This list is usual suspects as far as ms marketing rights go. Real or not, anyone could have made this list while sleeping. That's how predictable it is.

It makes sense for a console maker to try and get marketing on the biggest games. So yeah, of course it's predictable, this list is pretty much all of the biggest AAA multiplat games releasing in the next year and a half, with the main exceptions being that Call of Duty  and Bethesda's next game (rumored for announce at E3) are missing. Not much reason for a console maker to try and get marketing on a multiplat series that doesn't sell well, and all of these are likely to sell well.

You arent wrong. But this isnt what I was saying when I said it was predictable.

Its a predictable list that these would be the games MS got, rather than Sony. Anthem was obvious from its reveal. SC has been MS heavy for a long time now, even with an exclusive game last gen. The last TR had their push. So did Witcher 3, the 1st Division and BF1.

Madden i attach to MS for some reason. And Borderlands.... well I dont know much about its past games so I guess that could have gone either way.

So maybe not entirely predictable but I doubt many thought that these games would get Sony marketing rights.