By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction ps4 will sell 130+mill systems.

Ps4 will end at?

110mill 16 21.92%

120mill 25 34.25%

130mill 18 24.66%

140mill 7 9.59%

It will beat ps2. 7 9.59%

Total:73
zorg1000 said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
If they can drop the prize to 150, or even 100, it could even outsell the PS2. But it will sell atleast 120 million.

I dont think we live in a world where home consoles get that low anymore.

Yeah, 100 is very unlikely but 150 is not out of the question. It could happen when PS5 is released.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
zorg1000 said:

What exactly would this PS4 Premium be?

PS4 Premium would be the last revision of the PS4. It would use the same 7nm Jaguar tech as the PS4 Super Slim and PS4 Pro Slim, but be clocked around 3.0GHz. It would then double the GPU of the Pro and bump the clock up to 1.1GHz allowing them to reach 10TFLOPs. It would have 16GB GDDR, and a UHD Blu-ray drive. It would take the $399.99 slot in the PlayStation lineup and be for those that want a native 4k system in the two or three year leading up to PS5.

Intrinsic said:

You wan't strange things. What sense does it make making a PS4 premium? Make something that will sell even less than the PS4pro, which in of itself is only managing around 20% of total PS4 sales? Why would they do that?

This is the time of the gen when maximizing sales potential should be about slashing prices. Getting the base PS4 under $199 and the PS4pro to $299. There is no reason to make a "premium " console to release in 2019 when MS would just release the XB2 in 2020 with hardware tha will run circles around the premium PS4 and with hardware that even if sony released a PS5 a year or two from their console it would be using similar parts.

Makes no sense.

PS4 Premium would only be aimed at 4K consumers and the core PlayStation community. It would bridge the gap between 2019 - 2021 or 2022 when PS5 arrives.

Microsoft could put out a Ryzen based console in 2020 on 7nm, but I don't think it will be enough to blow people away.

Waiting until late 2021 or 2022 when 7nm+/Next Gen GPU, 64GB RAM, and NVMe become a possibility at $500 will deliver a huge leap over a 7nm, 24GB, and HDD based system. I think both Sony and Microsoft know that they can't build next gen consoles without M.2 NVMe drives, or they will get obliterated by other tech within 18 - 24 months of launch. I also believe AMD's Next Gen GPU will be built to handle Real Time Ray Tracing, which is what next gen should be focused on from the graphical side of things. 

From my point of view PS5 in 2019 or 2020 makes no sense, but having no native 4K option between now and a 2021 or 2022 PS5 is bad buisness. But, like I said, Sony has many options. 

People don't care if one console has more native 4K games than the others. Most games on XBX use a dynamic resolution anyways. Sony is not threatened by XBX. On average on Amazon Pro is selling better (amazon is reliable for comparing Sony and Ms).

Microsoft is currently giving a free game (up to $60 price) for every XBX sold on Gamestop (so that makes the XBX at $440) and they again reduced the price of xb1 bundles at $249. Doesn't sound too good for them, and that's in US.

I think 120m is what it will do eventually. Hell, going past 100m is respectable enough.

It amazes me that the predictions for the PS4 are still so low for some. You would think after ~5 years of doubting its sales would sink in. I mean, right now, it's looking like the PS4 will at least be on par with last year. We're going to get a permanent cut to at least $249 this year, and we will most likely have a price of $199 for longer than a week for the holidays. This would put LTD at 95M-96M by the end of this year.

Even if the PS5 launches in 2019, Sony is still going to cut the PS4 to a permanent $199, which should help negate any steep drop. But, let's say the PS4 is down 3M in 2019, this would still put LTD at 112M-113M by the end of 2019. Do people really think that a $199, which will probably drop to $149-$169 eventually, PS4 is going to sell less than 17M-18M for the next 2-3 years after the PS5 launches?

Looking at historical data, the answer seems to be no. The PS2 sold ~42.6M from 2007, the year after the PS3 launched, to the time it was discontinued. Now, I don't expect those kind of sales, since I think the weak launch of the PS3 didn't really hurt the PS2. However, I think it will see a situation similar to the PS1, which sold 22.88M from 2001, the year after the PS2 launched, to the time it was discontinued. My guess is that the PS4 should do ~20M-22M after the PS5 launches, which would put LTD at 132M-135M. Of course, if the PS5 comes in 2020, or the PS4 performs even better than the PS1 due to its popularity, I could see it doing 140M+.

thismeintiel said:
It amazes me that the predictions for the PS4 are still so low for some. You would think after ~5 years of doubting its sales would sink in. I mean, right now, it's looking like the PS4 will at least be on par with last year. We're going to get a permanent cut to at least $249 this year, and we will most likely have a price of $199 for longer than a week for the holidays. This would put LTD at 95M-96M by the end of this year.

Even if the PS5 launches in 2019, Sony is still going to cut the PS4 to a permanent $199, which should help negate any steep drop. But, let's say the PS4 is down 3M in 2019, this would still put LTD at 112M-113M by the end of 2019. Do people really think that a $199, which will probably drop to $149-$169 eventually, PS4 is going to sell less than 17M-18M for the next 2-3 years after the PS5 launches?

Looking at historical data, the answer seems to be no. The PS2 sold ~42.6M from 2007, the year after the PS3 launched, to the time it was discontinued. Now, I don't expect those kind of sales, since I think the weak launch of the PS3 didn't really hurt the PS2. However, I think it will see a situation similar to the PS1, which sold 22.88M from 2001, the year after the PS2 launched, to the time it was discontinued. My guess is that the PS4 should do ~20M-22M after the PS5 launches, which would put LTD at 132M-135M. Of course, if the PS5 comes in 2020, or the PS4 performs even better than the PS1 due to its popularity, I could see it doing 140M+.

Just one thing i want to ask, werent alot of the PS1/PS2 legs from releasing in developing markets much later in their lives, these markets have grown quite a bit in that time along with PS4 releasing much earlier so couldnt that affect the legs of PS4 to a degree?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Just one thing i want to ask, werent alot of the PS1/PS2 legs from releasing in developing markets much later in their lives, these markets have grown quite a bit in that time along with PS4 releasing much earlier so couldnt that affect the legs of PS4 to a degree?

Ps2? Yes. PS1? I don't believe so. Which is probably what helped push the PS2's legs to be almost 2x that of the PS1. And why I think PS4 will perform close to what the PS1 did after the PS2 launched. A PS4 below $200 is going to do well in most countries. 

globalisateur said:
KBG29 said:

PS4 Premium would be the last revision of the PS4. It would use the same 7nm Jaguar tech as the PS4 Super Slim and PS4 Pro Slim, but be clocked around 3.0GHz. It would then double the GPU of the Pro and bump the clock up to 1.1GHz allowing them to reach 10TFLOPs. It would have 16GB GDDR, and a UHD Blu-ray drive. It would take the $399.99 slot in the PlayStation lineup and be for those that want a native 4k system in the two or three year leading up to PS5.

PS4 Premium would only be aimed at 4K consumers and the core PlayStation community. It would bridge the gap between 2019 - 2021 or 2022 when PS5 arrives.

Microsoft could put out a Ryzen based console in 2020 on 7nm, but I don't think it will be enough to blow people away.

Waiting until late 2021 or 2022 when 7nm+/Next Gen GPU, 64GB RAM, and NVMe become a possibility at $500 will deliver a huge leap over a 7nm, 24GB, and HDD based system. I think both Sony and Microsoft know that they can't build next gen consoles without M.2 NVMe drives, or they will get obliterated by other tech within 18 - 24 months of launch. I also believe AMD's Next Gen GPU will be built to handle Real Time Ray Tracing, which is what next gen should be focused on from the graphical side of things. 

From my point of view PS5 in 2019 or 2020 makes no sense, but having no native 4K option between now and a 2021 or 2022 PS5 is bad buisness. But, like I said, Sony has many options. 

People don't care if one console has more native 4K games than the others. Most games on XBX use a dynamic resolution anyways. Sony is not threatened by XBX. On average on Amazon Pro is selling better (amazon is reliable for comparing Sony and Ms).

Microsoft is currently giving a free game (up to $60 price) for every XBX sold on Gamestop (so that makes the XBX at $440) and they again reduced the price of xb1 bundles at $249. Doesn't sound too good for them, and that's in US.

It's only an option depending on technology. If they can deliver a PS5 on 7nm+, with next gen storage and memory in Holiday 2020, then there is no need for PS4 Premium. PS4 Premium only makes sense if 7nm+, SSD, and RAM are going to push PS5 to 2021 or 2022.

There should be no issues releasing PS4 Super Slim and PS4 Pro Slim next holiday. Fabrication should be ready by late this year on 7nm giving them time to build up stock and iron out production issues for 2H 2019 release. They should have a decent idea of where things are heading and be able to make the decision on how to proceed by the end of this year.

As I said, they don't have to release something like this for the masses, or at all. Depending on timing though it would be good fan service for their core userbase, and also give them a full 4K Home Media center for those that use PlayStation for more than just gaming.

However this plays out will have a sizable effect on how much PS4 userbase can grow. In the end, it really comes down to when tech is ready, as to when PS5 will arrive, and when Sony will have to make the transition. It may be better for them if 7nm+, and SSD/RAM prices are out of reach until 2021 or 2022, but if they arrive earlier, Sony will have to sacrifice userbase expansion for userbase retention. If you follow what I am saying.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
globalisateur said:

It's only an option depending on technology. If they can deliver a PS5 on 7nm+, with next gen storage and memory in Holiday 2020, then there is no need for PS4 Premium. PS4 Premium only makes sense if 7nm+, SSD, and RAM are going to push PS5 to 2021 or 2022.

There should be no issues releasing PS4 Super Slim and PS4 Pro Slim next holiday. Fabrication should be ready by late this year on 7nm giving them time to build up stock and iron out production issues for 2H 2019 release. They should have a decent idea of where things are heading and be able to make the decision on how to proceed by the end of this year.

As I said, they don't have to release something like this for the masses, or at all. Depending on timing though it would be good fan service for their core userbase, and also give them a full 4K Home Media center for those that use PlayStation for more than just gaming.

However this plays out will have a sizable effect on how much PS4 userbase can grow. In the end, it really comes down to when tech is ready, as to when PS5 will arrive, and when Sony will have to make the transition. It may be better for them if 7nm+, and SSD/RAM prices are out of reach until 2021 or 2022, but if they arrive earlier, Sony will have to sacrifice userbase expansion for userbase retention. If you follow what I am saying.

User base expansion is extremely important since they earn so much more with games and ps plus.

Releasing a new gen to soon(2019 is to soon) could hurt them a lot since noo way they can make a 400dollar native 4k30fps system.

Gives microsoft a free hand to create a console that could maybe even be 4k60fps in 2021 creating a.huge advantage.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil