By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction ps4 will sell 130+mill systems.

Ps4 will end at?

110mill 16 21.92%

120mill 25 34.25%

130mill 18 24.66%

140mill 7 9.59%

It will beat ps2. 7 9.59%

Total:73
Intrinsic said:
Errorist76 said:

You're naive if you think sales numbers dictate a release date. New tech like this is planned years in advance. They can’t just decide to change the chipset and wait another year.

What am I reading???

Forget sales numbers. Look at install base. Not just that, but look at PS+ subscriptions. Its likw people are forgetting the wholw point of consoles is to sell ga,es and in this gen.... run a service.

And the wait another year thing? Wake the fuck up..... Next gen consoles won't come until 7nm fabrication becomes a thing. Right now at best thats looking at 2020  for 7nm to become mature enough (aka cheap enough) to go into consoles. But lets not even stop there.... say sony and amd design a chipset to leverage 7nm fabrication. And make no mistake they have probably already designed said chipset or are well underway. You know why they haven't released it yet?

No 7nm.

You know what they stand to gain by waiting another year after whenever 7nm actually shows up? Cheaper APUs as a result of improved yeilds. The ONLY thing that will make sony release as early ia possible is if MS is releasing their hardware asap. Thats it. 

And I'm the one that is naive? smh....... do you guys think these companies look forward to releasing new hardware? lol......

We’ll see about that and who wakes up when. We'll speak again next year.

Around the Network

I think it's possible if the PS5 comes out until 2020.

If you heard about orbis, then you should have heard about durango. Both of which were the actual real "secret" code names for the PS4 and XB1. The same place those rumors came from even went as far as point out that they would be using almost identical hardware and both using the jaguar CPU. It pointed out that MS was using GB of DDr3 ram.... only thing it got wrong was that the PS4 would have 4GB of Ram.... which was what leda lot to be saying it was going to be dead on arrival.

Compared to all that what we are getting now is what? Devkits are in the hands of third party devs? Lol...I could say that too like anyone else.

And to whoever said sony is getting better with leaks now? I don't know where they are getting that from but its not true..... after all didn't we know everything about the "neo" before it was even announced?

And even the 4GB could be accurate. I heard somewhere that Mark Cerny convinced Sony to put 8GB GDDR5 at the last minute.

Intrinsic said:
KBG29 said: 

Those of us expecting actual next gen worthy tech, are not suggesting that PS5 will arrive in 2019 or even 2020. Yes, in 2019 or 2020, Ryzen + Navi with 12TFLOPs, 16GB of GRRD6, and a HDD is probably the best you are going to get. The question is, what is the point? This will not deliver anything remotely close to the generation over generation improvement that we have seen between PS Consoles.

Why should Sony release a new PS in 2019 or 2020 if next gen worthy tech is not ready? They can just make another PS4 revision, and continue to expand their userbase, and create good will with the consumers. If they are doing a 7nm revision of the PS4 and PS4 Pro, then a PS4 Premium to hold people over until PS5 is all they need. This will allow them to keep the focus on PS4 while as they start to reach out for the casual crowd with $199.99, $149.99, and $99.99 price points. The most important thing for them is to reach as many people as possible, and get as many people as possible using the PS4 OS, PSN, and the PS Store. Keeping the focus on PS4 a few more years will help them reach a wider audience, and set them up better for a true next gen PS5.

PS5 should release either late 2021 or 2022 when they can deliver AMD's Next gen GPU architecture at around 20TFLOPs, 64GB of RAM, and NVMe storage in every unit. That will be possible in the $400 to $500 price range by then, and it will deliver the generation over generation improvement we accustom to from PlayStation. This is the safe bet, as it gives them a steady baseline for years to come. If they drop in 2019 - 2020 with the specs being thrown around, the doors are wide open for competition to come out with devices that greatly outclass the PS5 within 18 to 24 months of release, at lower prices. 

Errrr..... no. Doesn't work that way. Unless of course you're just living out some kinda tech fantasy.

Say in 2020 sony releases a console with the at the time 6-12 month old 7nm fab process. And say they have a GPU that is oushing say 12TF.

If sony waits till 2020.... that doesn,t automatically mean they will be using some sort of next next gwn tech and be able to go from 12TF to 20TF. Just not possible. The most they get from waiting a year or two is that yeilds improve at 7nm chip foundaries which means they save money which could also mean that they could go with a slightly more powerful version of whatever they were workng on... either from uppping the clocks a bit (due to processs maturity) or adding a few more cores in there.

So basically, they may go from 12TF to like 14TF/15TF at best. Or stick with the 12TF but release at a lower price point. Or release it anyway and make a killing at retail per console sold.

And dont worry.... nothing will be able to outclass anything untill 3nm chips become available. Which could very well be by 2024-2026.

I am talking 7nm vs 7nm+. If they launch in 2019 it will be extremely earlier 7nm parts that will have to make sacrifices to make sure the first units are sustainable, meaning they won't get the full benefits on 7nm. A 2020 release would have more stable fabrication, and allow them to up the clocks, and get more chips that are clean enough to handle the task.

By late 2021 or early 2022 7nm+ or 5nm if they decide to call it that will be available, and it will allow for some significant gains, and it will launch AMD's next gen GPU tech, which will be the foundation of AMD based graphics for years and years to come. This is absolutely the best time to launch, because they will be able to pair Ryzen, Next Gen, 64GB of RAM, and SSD, all techs that offer a next gen improvement over the PS4 tech. That will set them up very nicely for a PS5 Pro on 3nm.  

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Tsaki said:

And even the 4GB could be accurate. I heard somewhere that Mark Cerny convinced Sony to put 8GB GDDR5 at the last minute.

I could be mistaken, but the rumors were that sony was set on going with GDDR5. But a the time the biggest memory package GDDR5 were 256MB chips. Do the most tjey couls get was 4GB on their PCB. Also, aware of this unavailibility of GDDR5 ram at higher capacities MS built their hardware around DDR3 and that way had it locked down for 8GB. Luckily for sony though, somewhere around the tail end of 2012 512MB GDDR5 chips became available.

KBG29 said:

I am talking 7nm vs 7nm+. If they launch in 2019 it will be extremely earlier 7nm parts that will have to make sacrifices to make sure the first units are sustainable, meaning they won't get the full benefits on 7nm. A 2020 release would have more stable fabrication, and allow them to up the clocks, and get more chips that are clean enough to handle the task.

By late 2021 or early 2022 7nm+ or 5nm if they decide to call it that will be available, and it will allow for some significant gains, and it will launch AMD's next gen GPU tech, which will be the foundation of AMD based graphics for years and years to come. This is absolutely the best time to launch, because they will be able to pair Ryzen, Next Gen, 64GB of RAM, and SSD, all techs that offer a next gen improvement over the PS4 tech. That will set them up very nicely for a PS5 Pro on 3nm.  

No... AMDs next gen GPU will be based on 7nm/7nm+ or any other itwration of 7nm that comes up. Snd its called Navi. Because its been announced already in a roadmap doesnt make it any less of a next gen GPU architecture. 

Thats how it usually goes. Every node shrink sees a new generatiom of CPU amd GPU. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Tsaki said:

I could be mistaken, but the rumors were that sony was set on going with GDDR5. But a the time the biggest memory package GDDR5 were 256MB chips. Do the most tjey couls get was 4GB on their PCB. Also, aware of this unavailibility of GDDR5 ram at higher capacities MS built their hardware around DDR3 and that way had it locked down for 8GB. Luckily for sony though, somewhere around the tail end of 2012 512MB GDDR5 chips became available.

KBG29 said:

No... AMDs next gen GPU will be based on 7nm/7nm+ or any other itwration of 7nm that comes up. Snd its called Navi. Because its been announced already in a roadmap doesnt make it any less of a next gen GPU architecture. 

Thats how it usually goes. Every node shrink sees a new generatiom of CPU amd GPU. 

I am looking right at AMD's road map, and it has Vega 14nm/14nm+, Navi 7nm, Next Gen 7nm+. I have no idea what they are planning, but if Next Gen is not set to have some significant improvement over Navi, you would think they would just have Navi 7nm/7nm+. It could just be marketing/hype or it could be substantial. I am personally of the belief that them calling it Next Gen is a pretty heavy tip of the cap to when Next Gen consoles will arrive.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Intrinsic said:

I am looking right at AMD's road map, and it has Vega 14nm/14nm+, Navi 7nm, Next Gen 7nm+. I have no idea what they are planning, but if Next Gen is not set to have some significant improvement over Navi, you would think they would just have Navi 7nm/7nm+. It could just be marketing/hype or it could be substantial. I am personally of the belief that them calling it Next Gen is a pretty heavy tip of the cap to when Next Gen consoles will arrive.

Well just know that the next gen amd gpu is Vega. And-that should be here next year or the year after. Fab maturity (aka 7nm+) will not give a big enough jump in performamce to juatify brand new architecture. So no, whatever ia coming after vega wont come till 3/4nm becomes a thing.

The next gen-consoles would be based on ryzen and navi architecture.

Intrinsic said:
KBG29 said:

Well just know that the next gen amd gpu is Vega. And-that should be here next year or the year after. Fab maturity (aka 7nm+) will not give a big enough jump in performamce to juatify brand new architecture. So no, whatever ia coming after vega wont come till 3/4nm becomes a thing.

The next gen-consoles would be based on ryzen and navi architecture.

Vega is already here. It uses 14nm.  This year they plan to make versions using 7nm.  Navi is supposed to hit in 2019, again using 7nm.  2020 or 2021 is when we will see their "next-gen" GPU, which uses 7nm+.

CGI-Quality said:
JRPGfan said:

Yeah I think 110m is set in stone, theres just no way it does less lifetime imo.
120m+ is pretty likely to happend.
130m+ is if things go "right" for them the next 2-3 years (like it things go really well).

Sony does have to start cutting prices though, it shouldnt be 299$ in its 5th year.

Being $299 in its fifth year matters less if sales are being sustained over the year prior. So far, that is the case. Making money is top priority. They’ll make it to, and beyond, 110m even with the price still being what it is. They’ll cut when absolutely necessary.

It's on sale for $250 regularly, and it's always bundled with something.  So, I don't think saying that it's $299 is really a fair representation.  I'd bet the average price of the system with a game is like $270. If you assign the game a value of even $25, that brings the net cost down below $250.

VAMatt said:
CGI-Quality said:

Being $299 in its fifth year matters less if sales are being sustained over the year prior. So far, that is the case. Making money is top priority. They’ll make it to, and beyond, 110m even with the price still being what it is. They’ll cut when absolutely necessary.

It's on sale for $250 regularly, and it's always bundled with something.  So, I don't think saying that it's $299 is really a fair representation.  I'd bet the average price of the system with a game is like $270. If you assign the game a value of even $25, that brings the net cost down below $250.

You know that you’re a forum that follows video game sales, right? You can’t fool us with the “it’s on sales for $250 regularly” line.