By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendos 2018 Line up is pretty boring for me, so far

There aren't many big games I'm excited for, but I like the Switch for the same reason I liked the Wii. Just these smaller gems you have to dig and search to find along with the occasional big game. Its just fun to me.

Around the Network

There are a few games i'll be buying this year: Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad (didn't get them on Wii U) and probably Mario Aces.

As others have said, personal tastes aside, this really is a bad year, even if we don't compare it to 2017.
The only major game that 2018 has, so far, is Smash. That's it.

And you can always say that we don't know the full line-up for the second half - which is true - but i am left wondering why did they reveal Smash so soon (E3 is 3 months away). It's a huge game for them; a true system seller. Didn't they have anything else, even if not as big, to show in March, for the last quarter, instead of Smash?

Until July, there's nothing I really want either. Octopath and Smash are must buys for me, Okami and Crash I'll possibly pick up, but I was really banking on FE to get me through the second quarter this year, guess my wallet will get a reprieve.

DélioPT said:
There are a few games i'll be buying this year: Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad (didn't get them on Wii U) and probably Mario Aces.

As others have said, personal tastes aside, this really is a bad year, even if we don't compare it to 2017.
The only major game that 2018 has, so far, is Smash. That's it.

And you can always say that we don't know the full line-up for the second half - which is true - but i am left wondering why did they reveal Smash so soon (E3 is 3 months away). It's a huge game for them; a true system seller. Didn't they have anything else, even if not as big, to show in March, for the last quarter, instead of Smash?

I don't know if we can say this is a bad year, even with personal tastes aside. A lot of these ports are games that fans haven't played before because it was on Wii U or it was on other consoles and its a good opportunity to port them and showcase the portability factor with the Switch. Not saying its a legendary year, but its hard to say its a bad year at this time.

2018 has Kirby, Yoshi, Smash Bros., Mario Tennis Aces, and Labo so far in terms of first party titles (or concepts with Labo in mind). Then you have Fire Emblem confirmed for 2018 and potentially Pokemon. And its not unprecedented that Smash and Pokemon could release in the same year as ORAS and Smash Wii U released on the same day in NA, albeit on different consoles.

As for why Smash was announced, tough to tell. Nintendo will announce games when they're ready to show them or tease them.

quickrick said:
its pretty barren if you owned a wiiu/ps4, and don't care for ports.

Unless of course, you're into portable gaming. 

Around the Network

Taking things into perspective, the year isn't too bad, especially compared to the Wii U days when after launch, not many games came out and the most notable ones would be Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, and LEGO City Undercover, many months later. And its tough to tell if the early days of the PS4 and Xbone were THAT much better compared to Switch. While there were decent ports and original games, there were also big disappointments.

Pagan said:

It looks like i am the only person on the planet who not only dislikes smash but really hates it.

...What did Smash ever do to you?

I don’t like Smash either, to be honest. I played the crap out of it on N64, and was all Smashed out by the time Melee came around. The single player (Subspace Emmisary or something) campaign with the story was interesting though. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem they have brought that mode back in the last couple of releases, and so I had very little interest in the franchise ever since, except for Link vs Cloud - I enjoyed that. But otherwise, I find Smash to not be my kind of game at all; same with Splatoon, couldn’t get into it. I DID, however, really enjoy Arms; a similar style game, but that’s more the exception to the rule.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

As someone who's hoping to have enough time to justify getting a Switch in a year or two, I have to agree. It's not looking too great at the moment, but then again, I haven't been too impressed with other consoles' early years either. I still think PS4 isn't all that great either.

That direct is not the only games they will have this year