By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - UPDATE: RUMOR: PS5 Dev Kits Sent Out This Year. Launch 2019. BC With PS1/PS2/PS3. Sony acquires Silent Hill. Blade Runner PS5 Game At PSX. And More.

To soon 2020 is the earliest I can see PS5.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

Definitly. If PS5 is coming in 2020 then PS4 Premium is pointless, but if they are looking to stretch it to 2021 or 2022, then PS4 Premium in 2019 should be just fine. 

I would like to say that Sony would not be ignorant enough to break their ecosystem with bad hardware decisions, but I won't put it past them. Hopefully Cerny will keep them on track. Like I said, I think Zen 3 and Next Gen are the perfect time for PS5. Ryzen should be here for a long while, and building around AMD's Next Gen GPU tech seems like a no brainer plan. That offers easy B/C, and allows memory and storage tech to match the processing advancements, which should allow them to build a very well balanced architecture for the PS5 family of devices.

derpysquirtle64 said: 
KBG29 said: 

I still think a full 4K PS4 Premium in 2019 is the way to go. Then deliver a true next gen PS5 in 2022.

PS4 Premium can offer 10TFLOPs GPU and a 3.0GHz Jaguar chip with no problem. Add in 16GB of RAM and an SSHD, and you will have a perfect XBO X besting option within the ecosystem.

Why do you want that PS4 Premium thing so bad? Is it really needed? PS5 won't look as a huge improvement over it if it comes in 2020 or 2021. So, it looks pointless if Sony doesn't want to pro-long PS4 life-span until 2023 and launch PS5 then.

PS and XB sticking with x86, or something highly compatible with it, is highly likely. The rumor about using their own tech, which is BC with everything, especially PS3, made me think upgrading cell and having emulators or something for PS1, PS2, and PS4 running on it. Unless the dev tools were made that much more user friendly, something like what Nvidia and Nin did with Switch I guess you could say, I don't see this happening. I really don't see it happening regardless.

I almost wonder if AMD's 'next gen' GPU arch is in your face code for next gen consoles. Since it's supposed to be out before the end of 2020, a date many agree is perfect for a PS5 launch, and some would argue 'XB2', is not all that far fetched. It at least would be ready for 2021 at the latest. I also wonder with Pro having some Vega baked in, yet XB1X doesn't, maybe just maybe, a PS4 Premium with full Vega tech makes sense, since in 3 or 4 years XB would plan to jump to next gen with 'XB2' and use the 'Navi' or 'next gen' arch.

Cerny did say 8TF for proper native 4k, so even though you mentioned 10TF, which may be possible, I think they would go with 8-8.5TF so that the jump to PS5 was at least double as well, if not more. I'm pretty sure TSMC has 12nm right now and is close with 7nm, so a 2.6-2.8Ghz Jaguar and an 8.4TF Vega APU should be no problem. Add a 4k BD drive and you've got yourself a 2019 PS4 Premium.

The longer PS4 can stay in play and stay relevant, the more market share and money PS makes, and the PS5 ends up using more advanced upcoming tech when it launches as well.

JEMC said:
EricHiggin said:

Pretty sure Vega is going straight from 14nm to 7nm. Last I remember reading, sampling in late 2018, so probably early-mid 2019 launch for those cards. 'Navi' and 'next gen' are both supposed to be out before the end of 2020 apparently, but AMD seems to be running a little behind so. Considering Ryzen 2 (7nm) is lined up for sometime in 2019, more than likely first half of the year like Ryzen (14nm) and Ryzen+ (12nm), both CPU and GPU would be available for a PS5 sometime in 2019 (most likely later). Having 7nm APU's ready by then shouldn't be a problem either.

This doesn't mean PS5 would be coming 2019 necessarily, but it more than likely could if they wanted it to. Depending on the other hardware and it's prices and availability, could put a delay on the launch if they are assuming sales like PS4. If the price was $500 though, they shouldn't need to worry quite as much about early inventory.

Now that you mention it, I remember the slides claiming Vega on 7nm and claiming it would launch this year. And it makes sense because AMD can't leave Vega at 14nm against whatever Nvidia launches in July (or whenever they do).

But I'm not sure Vega would be a jump big enough compared to the hardware they're using now to warrant a new console. But I thought the same about PS4Pro and Polaris and they did it anyway so everything is possible.

As for the CPU, I wouldn't worry too much. Even a 4 or 6 core Zen processor would destroy those Jaguar chips, so they don't really need to wait for Zen+ or Zen2, but only for the appropiate node. That they'll be able to use a better arch. is just a nice bonus.

The biggest problem will be mixing both things into a single APU. Even Raven Ridge features up to 11 Vega cores, and the Vega 56 has ... well, 56. That's a lot to cramp together while using a new node. So yeah, late 2019 or early 2020 would be much more likely than early 2019.

Plus it would give devs more time to finish their current PS4 projects and start the ones for the new machine.

Nvidia '20' series is most likely going to crush AMD anyway, but Vega on 7nm should at least give AMD a chance. I myself don't see the next console, PS5 or PS4 Premium or whatever, having a massive jump in GPU specs. The CPU however should be like jumping the Grand Canyon. I think PS5 could get away with a 6 core Ryzen (+,2,+,3), in terms of future proofing, but I would assume they stick with 8 cores if physically possible to allow for lower clocks and also marketing since PS4 is 8 as well. I think the XB1X APU die is 360mm2 on 16nm and Raven Ridge is only 210mm2 on 14nm, so there is definitely more room for more cores/CU's, and if they use 7nm that's even better. PS4 Pro already has some Vega baked in as well, while XB1X does not, so I wonder if that had anything to do with the next console on deck.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 09 March 2018

DonFerrari said:
Teeqoz said:

Maybe you missed the "in quite a few regards". I wasn't referring to absolute sales (though there is substantial evidence to suggest the PS3 is overtracked on VGC).

There is also substantial evidence that X360 and X1 are overtracked, so?

You certainly didn't make any clear point that you weren't referencing to total sales when you said your text, seems like you are tacking back.

So let we say it again, when Sony made all the mistakes and Xbox had mostly done right, PS edged a small margin victory, when Xbox made mistakes (and corrected the 2 main ones a lot faster than sony, being high price and always online) and Sony did things right they are getting 2:1 to 3:1 victory which isn't bigger because of English speaking territories, Live and FPS.

Man, you can interpret it as you want to, but "and in a quite a few regards, the 360 also beat the PS3" does in no way, shape or form mean that it has to be about sales.

But maybe you missed the rest of my post, because that wasn't really particularly important - the Wii won the 7th gen, despite the PS2 dominating the 6th. And the Wii U completely bombed despite being the follow up to the hugely succesful Wii. Thus showing that consoles buyers are rather prone to switching platforms.

I really don't get what you are on about. I'd think you've seen me enough around the forums to know that I'm mainly a PS guy. I'm not trying to downplay Sony's achievements, but let's be realistic. The PS3 was a colossal financial failure. The only reason Sony edged out the 360 was because they ate massive losses for several years.

DonFerrari said:

And people are disagreeing with MS looking to release X2 in 2019Q1 because that would make no sense, since it wouldn't have much more power than X1X, wouldn't be cheap and would be to close to X1X launch... they would just burn themselves without any good reason... even more after they said they are aiming to a no-gen future.

hmmm. okay.  I don't know if you are ignoring it on purpose but there are people here saying 2020 is a good launch for the PS because PS4 is still selling well. Ignoring that MS can launch a new box in 2019. I am not arguing about the release date. I am arguing that MS can release it on 2019 and I showed some evidence that 3rd party devs are visiting MS and this late in this gen. It's very likely Capcom and Sega are visting not because of Xbone but rather the next box.  So one last time. It's not the release date is what I am arguing but the reason.

So again if MS decided to release the new box next year Sony will follow suit and it doesn't matter if PS4 is still selling well  or it doesn't matter if it's this year or the next or 2020 (which a lot of people here s hoping for) because IMO Sony will not allow MS to have a 1 year head start again.

Shadow1980 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Uhm no. People are arguing that 2019 is very soon and pointing out that PS4 is selling well and launching PS4 in 2019 is not smart bec. It will cut off PS4 sales.

I am pointing out that if The new xbox will release in 2019 and PS5 will release in 2020. Sony cannot afford for the xbox to have a 1 year head start again.  Even if PS 4 is still selling well. Sony will not let a xbo360 situation happened again. 360 was able to gain foothold and become successful that made it hard for Sony last gen. 

So to make it short. If MS will release the new xbox next year Sony will follow asap. Or even if ms will release it this year the same goes for sony as well.

I don't think having a head start really matters that much.

The Genesis had a head start over the SNES. It sold terribly in the 1989-1990 period, not really starting to take off until 1991, and even then the SNES still won. Not really Sega's fault, but still.

The PS1 had a head start over the N64, but sold terribly until FFVII was released, then it started selling extremely well. In fact, in the U.S., the N64 sold almost as much in the 14 weeks it was available in 1996 as the PS1 did that whole year, and by June 1997 had narrowed the LTD sales gap to less than 300k units lifetime. If the N64 had been CD-based and had gotten Final Fantasy, it would have handily defeated the PS1.

The PS2 had a head start over the GameCube and Xbox, but it won not because of its head start but because it was following the PS1's massive success, plus it had a far larger games library and a competitive price. Even if the GC & Xbox released at the same time as the PS2, they still would have been destroyed.

The 360 had a head start, but I doubt it helped much because it didn't start off too well. Rather it won in the U.S. because the PS3 was so expensive at launch, with the 360 having a price advantage until Aug. 2009. And even with the head start it was selling dreadfully in Europe its first couple of years and could never catch up with the PS3, and Japan still largely rejected it.

Pricing, games, and marketing mean a lot more than release timing does. In fact, release timing probably doesn't really matter much at all, given the data available.

We are on a different market now. Time has changed. Xbox is a strong brand now. PS strongest competitor. 
We have the COD games now, Assassin's creed and Battlefield. Imagined the next box releasing with those 3. 
And your last bit imagined the new Xbox releasing with all those things you mentioned and with a headstart. Do you think MS will not be aggressive knowing that they don't have any competition? Maybe you are underestimating the marketing power of MS and do you think MS didn't learn it's lesson from Xbone? If Sony gave them that advantage then they are just giving the MS a free ride for the whole year with no competition and building it's fanbase. 

and Do you think the COD fanbase will switch to PS5 if it is release a year after? You are underestimating the effect of that game and the peer pressure from that fanbase. 
Do you think if PS5 launch MS will not use the Price drop strategy for it's xbox to steal thunder for PS5? 
IMO Sony will not give any sort of advantage to MS. They learn their lesson with the PS3 and to some extend PS4. 

NoCtiS_NoX said:

hmmm. okay.  I don't know if you are ignoring it on purpose but there are people here saying 2020 is a good launch for the PS because PS4 is still selling well. Ignoring that MS can launch a new box in 2019. I am not arguing about the release date. I am arguing that MS can release it on 2019 and I showed some evidence that 3rd party devs are visiting MS and this late in this gen. It's very likely Capcom and Sega are visting not because of Xbone but rather the next box.  So one last time. It's not the release date is what I am arguing but the reason.

So again if MS decided to release the new box next year Sony will follow suit and it doesn't matter if PS4 is still selling well  or it doesn't matter if it's this year or the next or 2020 (which a lot of people here s hoping for) because IMO Sony will not allow MS to have a 1 year head start again.

We are on a different market now. Time has changed. Xbox is a strong brand now. PS strongest competitor. 
We have the COD games now, Assassin's creed and Battlefield. Imagined the next box releasing with those 3. 
And your last bit imagined the new Xbox releasing with all those things you mentioned and with a headstart. Do you think MS will not be aggressive knowing that they don't have any competition? Maybe you are underestimating the marketing power of MS and do you think MS didn't learn it's lesson from Xbone? If Sony gave them that advantage then they are just giving the MS a free ride for the whole year with no competition and building it's fanbase. 

and Do you think the COD fanbase will switch to PS5 if it is release a year after? You are underestimating the effect of that game and the peer pressure from that fanbase. 
Do you think if PS5 launch MS will not use the Price drop strategy for it's xbox to steal thunder for PS5? 
IMO Sony will not give any sort of advantage to MS. They learn their lesson with the PS3 and to some extend PS4. 

I don't think Sony has anything to worry about if Microsoft rushes out XBOX TWO in 2019. Do you think developers are really going to make games that take advantage of XBT if it is the only console? I don't even think devs will make Games for PS5/XBT for a year or two or three after both have released. It will be another few years of cross platform titles just like we saw with this generation. PS4 and XBO will very likely continue to be heavily supported for the first few years, with direct ports of PS5 and XBT titles.

The only thing that I think would have any effect on swaying people to a year early XBT would be 1st party, and with what we have seen from MS this gen I don't see any way that they will have a 1st party lineup that is strong enough to shift the focus.

Also, launching a year late with a popular business model would be a totally different ball game than the PS3. If MS rushes their box out on 12nm chips with a HDD, and Sony wait a year and get 7nm+ chip and NVMe at the same price, PS5 could blow XBT away.

It is a tough game to play right now. Both for Sony trying to maintain and expand dominance, and for Microsoft trying to take back marketshare. I think MS has the much tougher posistion, but Sony could once again stubmle over their own feet. One thing for sure, this has been, and will continue to be exciting times in console hardware. I am enjoying every minute of it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
JEMC said:

Now that you mention it, I remember the slides claiming Vega on 7nm and claiming it would launch this year. And it makes sense because AMD can't leave Vega at 14nm against whatever Nvidia launches in July (or whenever they do).

But I'm not sure Vega would be a jump big enough compared to the hardware they're using now to warrant a new console. But I thought the same about PS4Pro and Polaris and they did it anyway so everything is possible.

As for the CPU, I wouldn't worry too much. Even a 4 or 6 core Zen processor would destroy those Jaguar chips, so they don't really need to wait for Zen+ or Zen2, but only for the appropiate node. That they'll be able to use a better arch. is just a nice bonus.

The biggest problem will be mixing both things into a single APU. Even Raven Ridge features up to 11 Vega cores, and the Vega 56 has ... well, 56. That's a lot to cramp together while using a new node. So yeah, late 2019 or early 2020 would be much more likely than early 2019.

Plus it would give devs more time to finish their current PS4 projects and start the ones for the new machine.

Nvidia '20' series is most likely going to crush AMD anyway, but Vega on 7nm should at least give AMD a chance. I myself don't see the next console, PS5 or PS4 Premium or whatever, having a massive jump in GPU specs. The CPU however should be like jumping the Grand Canyon. I think PS5 could get away with a 6 core Ryzen (+,2,+,3), in terms of future proofing, but I would assume they stick with 8 cores if physically possible to allow for lower clocks and also marketing since PS4 is 8 as well. I think the XB1X APU die is 360mm2 on 16nm and Raven Ridge is only 210mm2 on 14nm, so there is definitely more room for more cores/CU's, and if they use 7nm that's even better. PS4 Pro already has some Vega baked in as well, while XB1X does not, so I wonder if that had anything to do with the next console on deck.

According to Glofo's Chief Technical Officer, Gary Patton, 7nm will bring a 2.7 ratio of space savings, which is huge. Couple that with better clocks and power consumption, and waiting for 7nm is a no brainer.

But I disagree with you about the sump in GPU specs. When this gen started, there were a lot of complains because of the lack of a noticeable visual upgrade, and they can't really afford that again. Also, because of the Pro scalling and the XboxOne X offering 4K games, that moniker won't be enough to sell the next consoles and could bring the "why they don't launch this game on PS4 at FullHD instead of 4K?" kind of questions that nobody wants. Nah, it will have to pack some power.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

its an 8 month old rumor why are people discussing abt this! Am I missing something?

KBG29 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

I don't think Sony has anything to worry about if Microsoft rushes out XBOX TWO in 2019. Do you think developers are really going to make games that take advantage of XBT if it is the only console? I don't even think devs will make Games for PS5/XBT for a year or two or three after both have released. It will be another few years of cross platform titles just like we saw with this generation. PS4 and XBO will very likely continue to be heavily supported for the first few years, with direct ports of PS5 and XBT titles.

The only thing that I think would have any effect on swaying people to a year early XBT would be 1st party, and with what we have seen from MS this gen I don't see any way that they will have a 1st party lineup that is strong enough to shift the focus.

Also, launching a year late with a popular business model would be a totally different ball game than the PS3. If MS rushes their box out on 12nm chips with a HDD, and Sony wait a year and get 7nm+ chip and NVMe at the same price, PS5 could blow XBT away.

It is a tough game to play right now. Both for Sony trying to maintain and expand dominance, and for Microsoft trying to take back marketshare. I think MS has the much tougher posistion, but Sony could once again stubmle over their own feet. One thing for sure, this has been, and will continue to be exciting times in console hardware. I am enjoying every minute of it.

Exactly. If MS launches early, they are going to piss off everyone who bought a X. We also have seen that MS isn't treating Xbox like a main priority anymore. There isn't going to be massive 1st party output next gen. At least nothing compared to Sony's.  And you can guarantee that Sony is going to take advantage of the year later launch, with better specs at the same price. Add in B/C with PS4, with Pro enhancements, and you can bet a lot of PS4 gamers are going to stick with PS. Really, history has proven that all Sony has to do is not screw up, like they did with the PS3 launch, and they win big. PS is just that big of a brand WW.

Having said that, I expect Sony is aiming for a late 2019 launch, with Xbox again scrambling to match that date, or they launch 6-12 months later. 2019 just makes the most sense. 6 years, which is a good length for a gen. 25th Anniversary of the PS brand (limited edition 25th anniversary SKU at launch, possibly with PS1 coloring, and the S in PS5 looks like a backwards 2.) Pro, their mid-gen console, released 3 years after the PS4, and PS5 would launch 3 years after it. I think we're looking at a $399-$449 price, with a slightly customized Ryzen/Vega APU that's roughly 2x the power of the X. If so, the 5, but even more so the Pro, is going to be an absolute beast. 

NoCtiS_NoX said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony could 100% handle launching a year later. They have before. No, what hurt the PS3 is not only did they launch at $200 more expensive, but the custom HW was so complicated for devs early on that the 3rd party games didn't even take advantage of the extra horsepower for years to come. Had the PS3 been able to launch at $399 and devs could have taken advantage of the power within months, instead of years, it would have absolutely crushed the 360.

Well, you cannot deny how MS is really aggressive from the get go when 360 launch. Buying exclusive left and right whether timed or full. Making the PS exclusive multi-plat. Even if PS3 was priced right. They let MS to have 1 year headstart where 3rd party was able to have a fanbase for their games and Sony cannot let the COD/Battlefield, GTA crowd to built a fanbase on the new box for a year. You cannot underestimate the effect of COD/FPS crowd.

And even with them being aggressive, they still came in 3rd. MS has never won a gen, nor will it. It took Sony fucking up majorly for them to take that close 3rd. That's just how big the PS brand is. How likely is it that Sony fucks up that big again? They would have to come out a year later, which in itself doesn't matter, with only slightly more powerful HW and a launch price $200 more than MS, but 3rd party games looking worse for a year or so due to complicated HW, to screw up that big, again.

Also, it's pretty obvious that MS doesn't care about Xbox like they did in the 360 days, so they aren't going to be paying millions to gobble up exclusives and marketing rights. Maybe the first year, but once it becomes clear that the PS5 is selling very well, the price to keep things off of PS goes up incredibly. Besides, it didn't help them stay ahead last gen, and it isn't going to help much next gen with Sony firing, once again, on all cylinders. I mean worst case scenario, the PS5 is slightly less powerful, but costs the same as the XB2, and a couple big games come out first on the XB2. That's not going to hurt its sales at all.

As for COD, it became very clear that the audience was split pretty close to 50/50 later in the gen, with NA being skewed 360 and EU/Japan skewing PS3, so exclusive marketing rights and early DLC isn't that big a factor. Of course, we'll also see if MS wants to continue paying for them as the price to do so rises. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 10 March 2018

lol. They are yet to release PS4 Pro slim.

Why would they release PS5, just for native 4K ? X is not even selling good for them to even counter it with a newer console. Sounds terrible idea also BW for PS3, PS2 is unlikely.

Last edited by exclusive_console - on 10 March 2018