By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - UPDATE: RUMOR: PS5 Dev Kits Sent Out This Year. Launch 2019. BC With PS1/PS2/PS3. Sony acquires Silent Hill. Blade Runner PS5 Game At PSX. And More.

derpysquirtle64 said:

PS5 won't look as a huge improvement over it if it comes in 2020 or 2021.

Pigs arse.

JEMC said:

Also, to be fully compatible with PS4 games, it needs to be full AMD, both CPU and GPU

Why do you think that?

drkohler said:

PS5 fully backward compatible with PS1...PS4? Forget that right away. Unlike Microsoft, Sony does not have the manpower to write such software (which is considerably more complex than the X360 bc software due to the Cell).

The Playstation 3 emulator is better than the Xbox 360 emulator.
Apparently the complexity of the Cell isn't a hindrance.

drkohler said:

Also an 8core Zen+ is 65-95W. Good luck marrying this with a 10TF AMD gpu which draws another 200+W.

Citation needed.

Pachofilauri said:
How do they expect to launch a system more powerful than the XB1X at a reasonable price in 1 year?
Fake

12/10/7nm processes are ramping up, GDDR6 is gaining traction, Ryzen refresh is dropping.

Ljink96 said:

Custom architecture...what? No, no. Those days are over. And all of a sudden Sony can make a more efficient, very cheap, 4k capable device without AMD or Nvidia, with mandatory 60fps, up to 120fps, and make it for $450? I don't buy this BS for a second, it's old as heck, flawed in logic, and doesn't even deserve to be deemed a rumor.

Semi-Custom is more plausible, that is where they take an already established design and make a few adjustments to suit their needs.

But you are entirely correct in asserting that the business sense in building your own custom processors from the ground up is just not there anymore, heck it wasn't there with the Playstation 3, they are just far to large, complex and expensive now.

KBG29 said:
These dev kits woukd likely be using early 7nm test chips and only be a target for where they expect to get with PS5. Current Ryzen and Vega based chips are not enough of a leap over PS4, so even a Vega 64 based system would not be a good representation. When 7nm GPUs come out 13.5TFLOPs will be mid to low end GPU power.

The chips wouldn't have to be 7nm. Or even in the same ball park as the final Playstation 5 console in terms of capability.
They just need to present a platform that will give developers an idea of what the ecosystem might entail, from there games and the software stack can be tooled up or downwards over time.

KBG29 said:

PS4 Premium can offer 10TFLOPs GPU and a 3.0GHz Jaguar chip with no problem. Add in 16GB of RAM and an SSHD, and you will have a perfect XBO X besting option within the ecosystem.

Are you sure Jaguar can clock up to 3ghz with no problem?

KBG29 said:

Ryzen should be here for a long while, and building around AMD's Next Gen GPU tech seems like a no brainer plan.

Not should. Will. AMD doesn't have a choice in the matter.
I mean, AMD Bulldozer micro-architecture was a colossal failure, but they couldn't release a replacement the next year could they?
Rather, they had to adhere to their already established development plan whilst Ryzen was cooking.

Same goes for Ryzen, it's here for at-least the next half decade whether we like it or not, AMD will of course do improvements... Which AMD also did with Bulldozer aka. Piledriver, then Steamroller, then Excavator.

Ryzen without a doubt is here for a long time.

JEMC said:

As for the CPU, I wouldn't worry too much. Even a 4 or 6 core Zen processor would destroy those Jaguar chips, so they don't really need to wait for Zen+ or Zen2, but only for the appropiate node. That they'll be able to use a better arch. is just a nice bonus.

Yeah. Not hard to obliterate Jaguar.
Jaguar was AMD's worst CPU at a time when their entire lineup of CPU's were terrible... So that just puts it into perspective.

I am hoping for at-least 8+ threads though, mostly so that would hopefully translate to better CPU utilization on the PC.

exclusive_console said:
lol. They are yet to release PS4 Pro slim.

Who says they are supposed to?

JEMC said:

According to Glofo's Chief Technical Officer, Gary Patton, 7nm will bring a 2.7 ratio of space savings, which is huge. Couple that with better clocks and power consumption, and waiting for 7nm is a no brainer.

But I disagree with you about the sump in GPU specs. When this gen started, there were a lot of complains because of the lack of a noticeable visual upgrade, and they can't really afford that again. Also, because of the Pro scalling and the XboxOne X offering 4K games, that moniker won't be enough to sell the next consoles and could bring the "why they don't launch this game on PS4 at FullHD instead of 4K?" kind of questions that nobody wants. Nah, it will have to pack some power.

It's not just huge, it's massive. It should provide us with a more significant jump than what we saw from the move from 28nm to 16/14nm. (Which were based on 20nm.)

It should also allow AMD to bring Ryzens clocks up with some luck.

EricHiggin said:

PS and XB sticking with x86, or something highly compatible with it, is highly likely.

They wouldn't be sticking with it because of compatibility though, they would be sticking with it because of price/performance/power consumption/convenience.

EricHiggin said:

Cerny did say 8TF for proper native 4k

That rhetoric is obviously dumbed down. It is not a requirement for proper native 4k.
You could have 1,000 Teraflops and not achieve 480P if you don't have say... The ROPS or Bandwidth to feed that shit.

EricHiggin said:

I'm pretty sure TSMC has 12nm right now and is close with 7nm, so a 2.6-2.8Ghz Jaguar and an 8.4TF Vega APU should be no problem.

You do realize it's not actually true 12nm right?

EricHiggin said:

Nvidia '20' series is most likely going to crush AMD anyway, but Vega on 7nm should at least give AMD a chance.

AMD actually needs to activate features like it's draw stream binning rasterizer and not relegate Primitive Shaders to a dev-opt in scheme.
7nm will likely allow AMD to do two things with Vega... Drastically increase the chip size (I.E. More functional units) or significantly increase clocks.

So with that in mind, nVidia will likely retain it's edge.

EricHiggin said:

I think the XB1X APU die is 360mm2 on 16nm and Raven Ridge is only 210mm2 on 14nm

Jaguar cores are tiny. Like a couple mm2 tops at 14nm.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Also, to be fully compatible with PS4 games, it needs to be full AMD, both CPU and GPU

Why do you think that?

Well, I could see them using another kind of CPU, maybe ARM, but the GPU I think is a must.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Shadow1980 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

We are on a different market now. Time has changed. Xbox is a strong brand now. PS strongest competitor. 
We have the COD games now, Assassin's creed and Battlefield. Imagined the next box releasing with those 3. 
And your last bit imagined the new Xbox releasing with all those things you mentioned and with a headstart. Do you think MS will not be aggressive knowing that they don't have any competition? Maybe you are underestimating the marketing power of MS and do you think MS didn't learn it's lesson from Xbone? If Sony gave them that advantage then they are just giving the MS a free ride for the whole year with no competition and building it's fanbase. 

and Do you think the COD fanbase will switch to PS5 if it is release a year after? You are underestimating the effect of that game and the peer pressure from that fanbase. 
Do you think if PS5 launch MS will not use the Price drop strategy for it's xbox to steal thunder for PS5? 
IMO Sony will not give any sort of advantage to MS. They learn their lesson with the PS3 and to some extend PS4. 

"We are on a different market now"? If you're going to invent new "rules of sales" by saying that release timing matters now when it never did in any prior generation, I'm going to need some good evidence justifying it. The burden of proof is on you to show that release timing is now an important factor.

As a counterargument, if the Xbox 4 releases too early, it may not be sufficiently powerful compared to the X1X. Even if it is, it may not be as powerful as the PS5, especially if MS goes for a $400 price point and Sony goes for a $500 price point. Furthermore, CoD may be big, but it's not as big as it used to be, plus whatever CoD game is first released for the Xbox 4, it will be a cross-gen game, and thus unlikely to be pushing the Xbox 4's hardware much. While it may have slightly better textures and/or run at a higher resolution, the difference may not be sufficient to make it such a superior port that CoD players on PS4 will start to abandon PlayStation to make the jump to the Xbox 4.

Finally, the PS3 didn't suffer because it released a year after the 360. It suffered because "FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE U.S. DOLLARS!" The 360 had a massive price advantage right out of the gate. The 20GB 360 "Pro" was $100 cheaper than the comparable PS3 SKU for a full year after the PS3 launched. By time the PS3 had been cut to $400, the 360 Pro had been reduced to $350. And the PS3 wouldn't get reduced to $300 until a full year after the 360 Pro had been reduced to that price. It wasn't until Aug. 2009 that the PS3 finally got to price parity with the 360, and by that point it was too late to take the lead in the U.S. Once the 360 S was released in June 2010, the PS3 didn't stand a chance (though the PS3 still dominated in Europe and Japan).

More importantly MS made sure to keep the entry point $200 lower than the PS3's for about half of the gen.  The 360 models launched for $299 and $399, while the PS3 launched at $499 and $599. So, even the upper models were $200 apart. By the time PS3 was able to be dropped to $399, MS answered with a $199 SKU in less than a year. 

It would be like if the PS4 launched at $399, while XBO launched at $599.  Unfortunately for MS, the Xbox brand isn't strong enough to withstand that kind of blow, and it would have destroyed it completely. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 10 March 2018

JEMC said: 

According to Glofo's Chief Technical Officer, Gary Patton, 7nm will bring a 2.7 ratio of space savings, which is huge. Couple that with better clocks and power consumption, and waiting for 7nm is a no brainer.

But I disagree with you about the sump in GPU specs. When this gen started, there were a lot of complains because of the lack of a noticeable visual upgrade, and they can't really afford that again. Also, because of the Pro scalling and the XboxOne X offering 4K games, that moniker won't be enough to sell the next consoles and could bring the "why they don't launch this game on PS4 at FullHD instead of 4K?" kind of questions that nobody wants. Nah, it will have to pack some power.

I don't disagree that certain gamers were unhappy with the specs of the PS4, but the problem is the majority, because they were more than happy with the $399 price point. PS5 can use nothing but the highest end AMD chips, but that's useless if it leads to the console costing $2,000. How much cheaper PS can get parts from AMD is one thing, and how much the majority of gamers are willing to pay is another. On top of that, how much is PS willing to subsidize if they spec the console too high, or if the sales are too weak/slow? If PS is going full bore into next gen delivering a worthwhile jump, then waiting as long as possible to launch PS5 would make the most sense, and a 2019 launch would be pretty unlikely in that case.

Pemalite said:

EricHiggin said: 

PS and XB sticking with x86, or something highly compatible with it, is highly likely.

They wouldn't be sticking with it because of compatibility though, they would be sticking with it because of price/performance/power consumption/convenience.

Compatibility has it's place with all of those as well. A compatible PS5 would most certainly be convenient.

Pemalite said:

EricHiggin said: 

Cerny did say 8TF for proper native 4k

That rhetoric is obviously dumbed down. It is not a requirement for proper native 4k.
You could have 1,000 Teraflops and not achieve 480P if you don't have say... The ROPS or Bandwidth to feed that shit.

Well in relation to my point about a PS4 Premium, making it as capable as possible in 2019 would just make a worthwhile and affordable jump to a PS5 much much harder. It would also push PS to delay launching a PS5 even further.

Pemalite said:

EricHiggin said: 

I'm pretty sure TSMC has 12nm right now and is close with 7nm, so a 2.6-2.8Ghz Jaguar and an 8.4TF Vega APU should be no problem.

You do realize it's not actually true 12nm right?

Yes, a more refined version of their 16nm, to be slightly more specific.

Pemalite said:

EricHiggin said: 

Nvidia '20' series is most likely going to crush AMD anyway, but Vega on 7nm should at least give AMD a chance.

AMD actually needs to activate features like it's draw stream binning rasterizer and not relegate Primitive Shaders to a dev-opt in scheme.
7nm will likely allow AMD to do two things with Vega... Drastically increase the chip size (I.E. More functional units) or significantly increase clocks.

So with that in mind, nVidia will likely retain it's edge.

Retaining their edge maybe a better way of putting it.

Pemalite said:

EricHiggin said: 

I think the XB1X APU die is 360mm2 on 16nm and Raven Ridge is only 210mm2 on 14nm

Jaguar cores are tiny. Like a couple mm2 tops at 14nm.

3mm2 at 28nm apparently? More cores for Jaguar was a more simple decision no doubt. Raven Ridge is fairly impressive at the moment, but 2 more cores should do it, and 4 more would be great since Ryzen 6 core chips are really 8 core with 2 disabled I believe. I guess if 7nm allows AMD to crank the clocks up on Ryzen with acceptable temps, a quad core might be future proof enough for 60fps, more often than not. Depends if they shoot for 30 or 60fps, and how often they want games actually hitting/locked at 60.

thismeintiel said:
KBG29 said:

I don't think Sony has anything to worry about if Microsoft rushes out XBOX TWO in 2019. Do you think developers are really going to make games that take advantage of XBT if it is the only console? I don't even think devs will make Games for PS5/XBT for a year or two or three after both have released. It will be another few years of cross platform titles just like we saw with this generation. PS4 and XBO will very likely continue to be heavily supported for the first few years, with direct ports of PS5 and XBT titles.

The only thing that I think would have any effect on swaying people to a year early XBT would be 1st party, and with what we have seen from MS this gen I don't see any way that they will have a 1st party lineup that is strong enough to shift the focus.

Also, launching a year late with a popular business model would be a totally different ball game than the PS3. If MS rushes their box out on 12nm chips with a HDD, and Sony wait a year and get 7nm+ chip and NVMe at the same price, PS5 could blow XBT away.

It is a tough game to play right now. Both for Sony trying to maintain and expand dominance, and for Microsoft trying to take back marketshare. I think MS has the much tougher posistion, but Sony could once again stubmle over their own feet. One thing for sure, this has been, and will continue to be exciting times in console hardware. I am enjoying every minute of it.

Exactly. If MS launches early, they are going to piss off everyone who bought a X. We also have seen that MS isn't treating Xbox like a main priority anymore. There isn't going to be massive 1st party output next gen. At least nothing compared to Sony's.  And you can guarantee that Sony is going to take advantage of the year later launch, with better specs at the same price. Add in B/C with PS4, with Pro enhancements, and you can bet a lot of PS4 gamers are going to stick with PS. Really, history has proven that all Sony has to do is not screw up, like they did with the PS3 launch, and they win big. PS is just that big of a brand WW.

Having said that, I expect Sony is aiming for a late 2019 launch, with Xbox again scrambling to match that date, or they launch 6-12 months later. 2019 just makes the most sense. 6 years, which is a good length for a gen. 25th Anniversary of the PS brand (limited edition 25th anniversary SKU at launch, possibly with PS1 coloring, and the S in PS5 looks like a backwards 2.) Pro, their mid-gen console, released 3 years after the PS4, and PS5 would launch 3 years after it. I think we're looking at a $399-$449 price, with a slightly customized Ryzen/Vega APU that's roughly 2x the power of the X. If so, the 5, but even more so the Pro, is going to be an absolute beast. 

I agree on your reasoning. Makes the most sense imho...also Sony can’t afford to relax and wait. They need to stay in front, need to make the next move. That doesn’t mean PS4 won’t be selling anymore or won’t get any games. It’s possible Sony will fade out the slim at some point, but I’m not sure this will happen. We all know Sony does support its consoles for along time, even if the next gen is already out.

PS5 at 25th anniversary would be a fitting present.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
thismeintiel said:

Exactly. If MS launches early, they are going to piss off everyone who bought a X. We also have seen that MS isn't treating Xbox like a main priority anymore. There isn't going to be massive 1st party output next gen. At least nothing compared to Sony's.  And you can guarantee that Sony is going to take advantage of the year later launch, with better specs at the same price. Add in B/C with PS4, with Pro enhancements, and you can bet a lot of PS4 gamers are going to stick with PS. Really, history has proven that all Sony has to do is not screw up, like they did with the PS3 launch, and they win big. PS is just that big of a brand WW.

Having said that, I expect Sony is aiming for a late 2019 launch, with Xbox again scrambling to match that date, or they launch 6-12 months later. 2019 just makes the most sense. 6 years, which is a good length for a gen. 25th Anniversary of the PS brand (limited edition 25th anniversary SKU at launch, possibly with PS1 coloring, and the S in PS5 looks like a backwards 2.) Pro, their mid-gen console, released 3 years after the PS4, and PS5 would launch 3 years after it. I think we're looking at a $399-$449 price, with a slightly customized Ryzen/Vega APU that's roughly 2x the power of the X. If so, the 5, but even more so the Pro, is going to be an absolute beast. 

I agree on your reasoning. Makes the most sense imho...also Sony can’t afford to relax and wait. They need to stay in front, need to make the next move. That doesn’t mean PS4 won’t be selling anymore or won’t get any games. It’s possible Sony will fade out the slim at some point, but I’m not sure this will happen. We all know Sony does support its consoles for along time, even if the next gen is already out.

PS5 at 25th anniversary would be a fitting present.

Oh, yea, they'll definitely support PS4 til at least 2022.  I'd expect by 2019/20, it'll be $149, so it's definitely going to still be selling well, too.  Those numbers will also be pushed by a Pro that will eventually drop to $249.  And while I think Sony could definitely afford to launch after the XB2, I don't think they'll want to.

Yea, it would be a great present, lol.  Like I said, that advertising writes itself.  PS5, but spelled with a backwards 2.

PS5 sounds like a catastrophic mistake. The industry does not need another excuse for massive budgets and projects that fail to break even. If Sony attempts to make something even more powerful, they will falter. This is not a good time to launch a new system but the support the existing one. PS4 could come to be the best Sony console ever if they support it right

Helloplite said:
PS5 sounds like a catastrophic mistake. The industry does not need another excuse for massive budgets and projects that fail to break even. If Sony attempts to make something even more powerful, they will falter. This is not a good time to launch a new system but the support the existing one. PS4 could come to be the best Sony console ever if they support it right

There’s easily 3-4 years life left and the PS4 is already getting long in the tooth. Last gen was extraordinary long with 7 years. Before 5 was the rule. 6 would be perfectly fine for PS4...it’ll still get supported for some more years to come anyway.

At this point, I'm just going to say it will be flat out stupid for anyone to think the PS5 will come before 2020.

It makes absolutely zero sense that sony would do that. They have absolutely nothing to gain by doing something like that.

I mean outside fan wet dreams or conspiracy..... what tangible reason dows anyone have as to why they think sony will launch the PS5 in 2019? Why? They are the market leaders, and are yet to see a drop in yearly PS4 sales, oushing onto an install base of almost 100M, selling more software than ever before (which is where the money is)' know they don't have to worry about either of their competition till at least 2020 (MS just released the X1, they arent going to release another console in 2019 and its now obviois that the NS isn't taking away from PS sales).

So why would sony throw all that away and rush into a new gen?

I expwct the PS5 no sooner than 2020... could even be as late as 2021.

Intrinsic said:
At this point, I'm just going to say it will be flat out stupid for anyone to think the PS5 will come before 2020.

It makes absolutely zero sense that sony would do that. They have absolutely nothing to gain by doing something like that.

I mean outside fan wet dreams or conspiracy..... what tangible reason dows anyone have as to why they think sony will launch the PS5 in 2019? Why? They are the market leaders, and are yet to see a drop in yearly PS4 sales, oushing onto an install base of almost 100M, selling more software than ever before (which is where the money is)' know they don't have to worry about either of their competition till at least 2020 (MS just released the X1, they arent going to release another console in 2019 and its now obviois that the NS isn't taking away from PS sales).

So why would sony throw all that away and rush into a new gen?

I expwct the PS5 no sooner than 2020... could even be as late as 2021.

Totally agree with this,sony doesnt need to rush for next gen, i would be suprised if its even talkrd about next year,prob 2020 or even 2021.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil