By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - UPDATE: RUMOR: PS5 Dev Kits Sent Out This Year. Launch 2019. BC With PS1/PS2/PS3. Sony acquires Silent Hill. Blade Runner PS5 Game At PSX. And More.

EricHiggin said:
JEMC said:

I can deal with the Q1 launch because that would give the console 3 strong sales points (launch, Black Friday and X-mas) during the first year, but not the 2019.

Also, to be fully compatible with PS4 games, it needs to be full AMD, both CPU and GPU, and while the CPU side looks good with maybe an 8-core Zen+ unit, the GPU side doesn't look very good, with Vega 56 and 64 (10.5 and 12.5 TFlops each) using way more than 200W of power. Sure, if they're ported to the newer 12nm process they'll use less power, but we're still looking at 170-180W, and then add the CPU, RAM, etc on the mix and we end with a 250W or more box.

Nah, I think they'll wait until 2020, when they'll be able to use the superior 7nm process.

Pretty sure Vega is going straight from 14nm to 7nm. Last I remember reading, sampling in late 2018, so probably early-mid 2019 launch for those cards. 'Navi' and 'next gen' are both supposed to be out before the end of 2020 apparently, but AMD seems to be running a little behind so. Considering Ryzen 2 (7nm) is lined up for sometime in 2019, more than likely first half of the year like Ryzen (14nm) and Ryzen+ (12nm), both CPU and GPU would be available for a PS5 sometime in 2019 (most likely later). Having 7nm APU's ready by then shouldn't be a problem either.

This doesn't mean PS5 would be coming 2019 necessarily, but it more than likely could if they wanted it to. Depending on the other hardware and it's prices and availability, could put a delay on the launch if they are assuming sales like PS4. If the price was $500 though, they shouldn't need to worry quite as much about early inventory.

Now that you mention it, I remember the slides claiming Vega on 7nm and claiming it would launch this year. And it makes sense because AMD can't leave Vega at 14nm against whatever Nvidia launches in July (or whenever they do).

But I'm not sure Vega would be a jump big enough compared to the hardware they're using now to warrant a new console. But I thought the same about PS4Pro and Polaris and they did it anyway so everything is possible.

As for the CPU, I wouldn't worry too much. Even a 4 or 6 core Zen processor would destroy those Jaguar chips, so they don't really need to wait for Zen+ or Zen2, but only for the appropiate node. That they'll be able to use a better arch. is just a nice bonus.

The biggest problem will be mixing both things into a single APU. Even Raven Ridge features up to 11 Vega cores, and the Vega 56 has ... well, 56. That's a lot to cramp together while using a new node. So yeah, late 2019 or early 2020 would be much more likely than early 2019.

Plus it would give devs more time to finish their current PS4 projects and start the ones for the new machine.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:
DonFerrari said: 

So you think that MS is going to launch X2 this year after like 6 months of X1X for Sony to be hard pressed to not give MS a 1 year headstart?

Uhm no. People are arguing that 2019 is very soon and pointing out that PS4 is selling well and launching PS4 in 2019 is not smart bec. It will cut off PS4 sales.

I am pointing out that if The new xbox will release in 2019 and PS5 will release in 2020. Sony cannot afford for the xbox to have a 1 year head start again.  Even if PS 4 is still selling well. Sony will not let a xbo360 situation happened again. 360 was able to gain foothold and become successful that made it hard for Sony last gen. 

So to make it short. If MS will release the new xbox next year Sony will follow asap. Or even if ms will release it this year the same goes for sony as well.

Ok, so you think MS will release X2 about 18 months after X1X? That will certainly gain a lot of love from the userbase. Also considering they will announce it like 6 months before launch, they will have put a lot of money in R&D and marketing for X1X, killed a lot of sales of X1 by talking about X1X for more than 12 months before launch... all of that to sell like 5M X1X? Do you think MS is crazy?

Teeqoz said:
DonFerrari said:

Globally in USA you mean right?

Because Globally even with all the fuckups PS3 still outsold X360. and Won all other gens.

Maybe you missed the "in quite a few regards". I wasn't referring to absolute sales (though there is substantial evidence to suggest the PS3 is overtracked on VGC).

There is also substantial evidence that X360 and X1 are overtracked, so?

You certainly didn't make any clear point that you weren't referencing to total sales when you said your text, seems like you are tacking back.

So let we say it again, when Sony made all the mistakes and Xbox had mostly done right, PS edged a small margin victory, when Xbox made mistakes (and corrected the 2 main ones a lot faster than sony, being high price and always online) and Sony did things right they are getting 2:1 to 3:1 victory which isn't bigger because of English speaking territories, Live and FPS.

KBG29 said:
I would be extreamly disappointed if PS5 came out 12 months from now. There is no justifiable tech to deliver a next gen experience right now, and even if 7nm is available for the CPU/GPU, Memory and Storage are to expensive to take advantage of the processing.

A dev kit for PS5 is very likely to be in the hands of 1st parties and close 3rd parties, as games will need to be started now to hit a late 2020 or 2021 launch. These dev kits woukd likely be using early 7nm test chips and only be a target for where they expect to get with PS5. Current Ryzen and Vega based chips are not enough of a leap over PS4, so even a Vega 64 based system would not be a good representation. When 7nm GPUs come out 13.5TFLOPs will be mid to low end GPU power.

For 1st party they don't even need to send devkits to start project, they saying the ballpark of the what they are planning is enough... and 3rd parties because of PC and also experience they develop nextgen sw based on abstract projection of where the consoles will be at. So usually 1 year (or even 6 months) before launch the devkit being delivered isn't uncommon and they use it to touch up and refine the abstract into what is defined.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If this were real, it would kill the PS4's momentum since there hasn't been any signal of slowdowns. A release this fast will only get into people's bad side.

Nah, it's not going to release early 2019, they won't have a second pro model that's only advantage is playing PS4 games. There certainly won't be a mode that allows you to play 2 different old games on 2 tv's at the same time.

I also think the "Sony doesn't believe in mid-gen refreshes and thinks they're harmful" is BS too.

thismeintiel said:

Sony could 100% handle launching a year later. They have before. No, what hurt the PS3 is not only did they launch at $200 more expensive, but the custom HW was so complicated for devs early on that the 3rd party games didn't even take advantage of the extra horsepower for years to come. Had the PS3 been able to launch at $399 and devs could have taken advantage of the power within months, instead of years, it would have absolutely crushed the 360.

Well, you cannot deny how MS is really aggressive from the get go when 360 launch. Buying exclusive left and right whether timed or full. Making the PS exclusive multi-plat. Even if PS3 was priced right. They let MS to have 1 year headstart where 3rd party was able to have a fanbase for their games and Sony cannot let the COD/Battlefield, GTA crowd to built a fanbase on the new box for a year. You cannot underestimate the effect of COD/FPS crowd. 

derpysquirtle64 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Uhm no. People are arguing that 2019 is very soon and pointing out that PS4 is selling well and launching PS4 in 2019 is not smart bec. It will cut off PS4 sales.

I am pointing out that if The new xbox will release in 2019 and PS5 will release in 2020. Sony cannot afford for the xbox to have a 1 year head start again.  Even if PS 4 is still selling well. Sony will not let a xbo360 situation happened again. 360 was able to gain foothold and become successful that made it hard for Sony last gen. 

So to make it short. If MS will release the new xbox next year Sony will follow asap. Or even if ms will release it this year the same goes for sony as well.

Yes, I agree that Sony won't let MS get one year head start again. But there is no way MS launches their new console next year. They've just launched One X less than half year ago.

In late 2019 will be XboX will be 2 years. Early 2019 is not wise but I can see MS doing it. They killed the Original Xbox to soon as well. 
Ignore the E3 part I jumped the gun a bit I forgot that E3 is 3 months away so we cannot see any announcement there.

BraLoD said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Take a look at the twitter of Capcom and Sega visiting MS. What does it mean? Early dev kits.
Next Gen is coming. Sony is just waiting for MS to announce their box.
This could be a great E3.

You mean Microsoft finally found something to get attention with the One X (power) and is getting some good reception on it and it'll just scrap it right away and release yet another Xbox in about 1 year? lol

Next gen is not coming early 2019, neither Sony or Microsoft want it that soon.

See my reply above.

DonFerrari said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Ok, so you think MS will release X2 about 18 months after X1X? That will certainly gain a lot of love from the userbase. Also considering they will announce it like 6 months before launch, they will have put a lot of money in R&D and marketing for X1X, killed a lot of sales of X1 by talking about X1X for more than 12 months before launch... all of that to sell like 5M X1X? Do you think MS is crazy?

Just to be clear. I am not agreeing with early 2019 release date ( i think that will be announcement month for PS5 like the PS4)  I am arguing about that people are only focusing on the sale of PS4 and 2019 is a bad idea discounting 1 important factor as well. If ever MS released  the next Box in 2019. Sony cannot wait for 2020 to release PS5 so regardless if PS4 is still selling well, they cannot afford the new xbox to have a 1 year advantage again as I explained above with "Thismeintiel" they cannot afford the new xbox to have an early fanbase of COD players or FPS gamers. 

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony could 100% handle launching a year later. They have before. No, what hurt the PS3 is not only did they launch at $200 more expensive, but the custom HW was so complicated for devs early on that the 3rd party games didn't even take advantage of the extra horsepower for years to come. Had the PS3 been able to launch at $399 and devs could have taken advantage of the power within months, instead of years, it would have absolutely crushed the 360.

Well, you cannot deny how MS is really aggressive from the get go when 360 launch. Buying exclusive left and right whether timed or full. Making the PS exclusive multi-plat. Even if PS3 was priced right. They let MS to have 1 year headstart where 3rd party was able to have a fanbase for their games and Sony cannot let the COD/Battlefield, GTA crowd to built a fanbase on the new box for a year. You cannot underestimate the effect of COD/FPS crowd. 

derpysquirtle64 said:

Yes, I agree that Sony won't let MS get one year head start again. But there is no way MS launches their new console next year. They've just launched One X less than half year ago.

In late 2019 will be XboX will be 2 years. Early 2019 is not wise but I can see MS doing it. They killed the Original Xbox to soon as well. 
Ignore the E3 part I jumped the gun a bit I forgot that E3 is 3 months away so we cannot see any announcement there.

BraLoD said:

You mean Microsoft finally found something to get attention with the One X (power) and is getting some good reception on it and it'll just scrap it right away and release yet another Xbox in about 1 year? lol

Next gen is not coming early 2019, neither Sony or Microsoft want it that soon.

See my reply above.

DonFerrari said:

Just to be clear. I am not agreeing with early 2019 release date ( i think that will be announcement month for PS5 like the PS4)  I am arguing about that people are only focusing on the sale of PS4 and 2019 is a bad idea discounting 1 important factor as well. If ever MS released  the next Box in 2019. Sony cannot wait for 2020 to release PS5 so regardless if PS4 is still selling well, they cannot afford the new xbox to have a 1 year advantage again as I explained above with "Thismeintiel" they cannot afford the new xbox to have an early fanbase of COD players or FPS gamers. 

And people are disagreeing with MS looking to release X2 in 2019Q1 because that would make no sense, since it wouldn't have much more power than X1X, wouldn't be cheap and would be to close to X1X launch... they would just burn themselves without any good reason... even more after they said they are aiming to a no-gen future.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I just want to say that I personally don't see both Sony and MS releasing next-gen consoles in 2019. Both of them don't need to. It's too early. Sony is doing great with PS4 while MS just launched One X and they probably just started working on next-gen launch lineup so these games won't be ready for 2019 I think. Something that they really need at their next console launch. If I were to predict next-gen launch I would say late 2021 is my guess. Late 2020 the earliest.

KBG29 said:
thismeintiel said:

Late 2019 would be 6 years, that's hardly rushing into next gen. It's also similar to the strategy they followed with PS1 and the PS2. Didn't stop the PS1 selling 102M and the PS2 from becoming the highest selling console ever. The PS4 is still going to sell a shit ton with a Slim at $149 and a Pro at $249.

The difference is, in the PS1 & PS2 days, six years was enough to make significant gains in what could be accomplished with software. Now we are at a point where even if hardware was progressing the same, diminishing returns make software gains less and less impressive. 

Another thing is, PS1 & PS2 peaked much more quickly, and their successors came well after the peak. PS4 had its best sales last year, and has a great chance to sell even more this year.

PS4 still has plenty of room to grow, and technology has a few years before truly wow worthy next gen software can be achieved. Adding everything up, a PS5 in 2019 doesn't look good from any angle. 

I still think a full 4K PS4 Premium in 2019 is the way to go. Then deliver a true next gen PS5 in 2022.

PS4 Premium can offer 10TFLOPs GPU and a 3.0GHz Jaguar chip with no problem. Add in 16GB of RAM and an SSHD, and you will have a perfect XBO X besting option within the ecosystem.

Then that opens the door for PS5  to be built on AMD's 4th Gen Ryzen tech, and their brand new Next Gen GPU architecture, both on 7nm+ fabrication. It will alloe them to jumo to 32 or 64GB o RAM, and have an M.2 NVMe card in every unit. That will offer an undeniable next gen leap in software that will make PS5 a justifiable upgrade to a much larger audience.

Why do you want that PS4 Premium thing so bad? Is it really needed? PS5 won't look as a huge improvement over it if it comes in 2020 or 2021. So, it looks pointless if Sony doesn't want to pro-long PS4 life-span until 2023 and launch PS5 then.

KBG29 said:
thismeintiel said:

Late 2019 would be 6 years, that's hardly rushing into next gen. It's also similar to the strategy they followed with PS1 and the PS2. Didn't stop the PS1 selling 102M and the PS2 from becoming the highest selling console ever. The PS4 is still going to sell a shit ton with a Slim at $149 and a Pro at $249.

The difference is, in the PS1 & PS2 days, six years was enough to make significant gains in what could be accomplished with software. Now we are at a point where even if hardware was progressing the same, diminishing returns make software gains less and less impressive. 

Another thing is, PS1 & PS2 peaked much more quickly, and their successors came well after the peak. PS4 had its best sales last year, and has a great chance to sell even more this year.

PS4 still has plenty of room to grow, and technology has a few years before truly wow worthy next gen software can be achieved. Adding everything up, a PS5 in 2019 doesn't look good from any angle. 

I still think a full 4K PS4 Premium in 2019 is the way to go. Then deliver a true next gen PS5 in 2022.

PS4 Premium can offer 10TFLOPs GPU and a 3.0GHz Jaguar chip with no problem. Add in 16GB of RAM and an SSHD, and you will have a perfect XBO X besting option within the ecosystem.

Then that opens the door for PS5  to be built on AMD's 4th Gen Ryzen tech, and their brand new Next Gen GPU architecture, both on 7nm+ fabrication. It will alloe them to jumo to 32 or 64GB o RAM, and have an M.2 NVMe card in every unit. That will offer an undeniable next gen leap in software that will make PS5 a justifiable upgrade to a much larger audience.

Yea, you may want to do a little research before you start posting. In 2005, the year before the PS3 launched, the PS2 sold ~20M units.  ~14M the year after. ~45M in the following 3-4+ years combined. Using your logic, we shouldn't have seen the PS3 until 2009 or 2010. And the PS1 sold ~21M  units in 1999, the year before the PS2 launched. It's sales collapsed after the PS2 came out, but using your logic, Sony should have milked those sales a couple years more. Sony knows what they are doing.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 09 March 2018

Why do mods allow this thread to live on, it only drags the quality of this forum down.

UltimateGamer1982 said:

Updating with new rumors. As usual take with a grain of salt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6myj0b/massive_playstation_5_leaks/

I'm not working to Sony. I'm just a random guy who happens to know a lot of things... Excuse me for grammatical errors, I'm not a native English speaker. In this post I'll share with you most of the info I acquired about the PlayStation 5 in the previous 2 months. It took a lot of effort and time, but I think it was worth it. Also, you don't need to believe any word you read here. It won't make my day better or worse and it won't change the fact that these information are valid/true. Also it's possible that I made some mistakes and or I forget to mention something, but this post took long enough to write anyway. So maybe I'll add more clarifications and info to the post in the upcoming hours / days. Okay then. Are you ready? Let's get started. It will be a long read.

RELEASE DATE]

The new PlayStation(s) will release in the first quarter (not financial quarter) of 2019.

• There are several simple reasons behind this. Sony needs time to finalize the hardware, finish and polish the games, properly market them, and build enough consoles that will satisfy the players' needs. Also, they don't want to release it too early because it can damage their brand (PS4 Pro just released not too long ago). To put it simply, early 2019 seems the best to them from every logical standpoint. If everything goes right, it will be a worldwide release.

More at the link. 

Marcus Sellers Rumor.

Take this with a huge grain of salt as it’s from Marcus Sellers, but he claims Sony have allegedly sent out PS5 development kits earlier this year. What do you guys think? 

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/29518-rumor-playstation-5-is-on-the-way-dev-kits-have-already-been-shipped/

The rumor mills have started to churn ahead of this year's E3 show as they do every year, and this latest rumor is something gamers will want to keep an eye on. Industry insider Marcus Sellars reports that Sony may be ready to start phasing out the PlayStation 4, as PS5 dev kits were shipped out to third parties earlier this year.

Sellars has recently provided one of the initial reports for Diablo III on the Switch and corroborated Kotaku UK's report about the upcoming Spyro the Dragon remaster trilogy, so this report is certainly one to keep an eye on. Sony already announced last week that the PlayStation 3 and Vita will be phased out from the free monthly games offered via PlayStation Plus.

The PS3 is well over its 10 year lifespan that Sony tries to adhere to, and the Vita has been without first party support for almost three years despite only being released in 2011. If this report holds true, the question on everyone's minds will likely be what Sony will do with the PS4 Pro and PlayStation VR, which have only been around for a little more than a year.

This dumb rumor is 7 months old, the reddit OP talks about PSX 2017. Why did you post this without checking how old it is?