By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch SP could be possible with just a Tegra X1

The big problem is the clamshell in that design bites into the top screen. Anyone who had certain clamshell phones (mostly the wide screen horizontal ones) or an early model 3DS might be aware of issues that can occur with that. If that could be resolved, then a smaller Switch would be a really good idea. Although I would hope for an improved chipset on all new iterations of the Switch, especially if they are over a year apart. I think Switch as a platform should evolve toward greater power and capability.

Removing capability, IMO, is an unnecessary step backward and should never be done. New iterations should always either retain or expand all of the software that can be played.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 02 March 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Nuvendil said:

There will not be a Switch that can't switch.

How do you know? Have you visited the future?

The 3DS didn't have 3D.
The Gameboy Advance had a revision that was a clam-shell design.
The 2DS wasn't a clam-shell design.

There is zero physical reason why there can't be a "Switch that doesn't Switch" except that you disagree with the concept.
And that means you don't have an argument.

Nuvendil said:

Also, enlarging or shrinking the unit is almost certainly out of the question.  It would lead to Joycon incompatibility.

Who cares? With the Nintendo DSi, Nintendo abolished the Gameboy Advance Slot, which actually BROKE compatibility between some DS games/accessories.

Besides. You can enlarge the screen and retain Joycon functionality, it doesn't have to fit flush with the screen you know, Nintendo does have Engineers which are intelligent.

Nuvendil said:

Also, the problem with the SP design is that it would cost the system two inputs since circle pads, by their very design, cannot be clickable.  Which would cause game compatibility issues.

Why should it be any different than the current Switch? Please. Enlighten me.

Nuvendil said:

The whole entire point of the Switch's existence is bridging home console and handheld gaming.  And it has been a big success on that foundation.  Dropping that would be foolish.

No one is saying to "drop it". - You can have variations of a platform that cater to different demographics/needs/wants/desires and you know... Sell even more units and stuff?
I mean. Nintendo did it with the 3DS.. They released the 2DS, then the New 3DS XL, then the New 2DS XL and so on.

People are all different and want different things, sorry to break it to you... But other peoples needs/wants/desires can and will deviate from your own.

The 2DS came out 2 1/2 years after the 3DS released.

The Gameboy SP came out 2 years after the Gameboy Advance released and only 1 year before the GBA was replaced by the Nintendo DS anyway.

The Nintendo Switch hasn't even been on the market for a full year (until tomorrow).  It has already sold about 15 million units already.  Yet, for some reason people insist that it needs a TV only or handheld only revision that 100% breaks it's primary selling feature.  There is no urgent need to meddle with the device form function to spark demand, because the Switch already sparks more demand than Nintendo can handle it its current form.    

Yes, people have different needs and wants, but you can't please everybody.  Consumer A doesn't buy the Switch because it's not handheld only.  Say Nintendo makes a handheld only Switch.  Consumer A still doesn't buy it because now he wishes it makes phone calls.  Consumer B doesn't buy the Switch because it's not home console only.  Say Nintendo releases a home console only Switch.  Consumer B still doesn't buy it, because it "costs too much".  Nintendo drops the price, and Consumer B still doesn't buy it because "it's not powerful enough".  Nintendo knows that the mass market wants the Switch in its current form, as evidenced by first year sales that surpassed the Wii U's entire lifetime.  They don't need to chase after the people who wish the Switch was this, or wish the Switch was that.  You want a Switch that only plays on your TV, buy one and leave it in the dock, because it already can do that.  You want a Switch that is portable only, buy one and only play it out of the house, because it can already do that.  Otherwise, you're not in a market that Nintendo needs to worry about until sales plateau or stagnate.

andres said:
NoirSon said:

True 

True only if you think it would be using the old dock, but the clam-shell design would be coming with its own dock. To summarize - with the clam-shell closed the (portable) console would slide in its own(new) dock.

It isn't just the dock that is the issue. As others have mentioned if the controllers are not detachable then to play them system on the TV you need to purchase or include a separate controller.

It goes against the supposed all in the box nature Nintendo is trying push.

NoirSon said:
andres said:

True only if you think it would be using the old dock, but the clam-shell design would be coming with its own dock. To summarize - with the clam-shell closed the (portable) console would slide in its own(new) dock.

It isn't just the dock that is the issue. As others have mentioned if the controllers are not detachable then to play them system on the TV you need to purchase or include a separate controller.

It goes against the supposed all in the box nature Nintendo is trying push.

No, if Nintendo markets the "Switch Lite" as a handheld (which is 100% compatible to games of the hybrid version) and 3DS successor, they don't have to include a dock or an additional controller!

Switch Pro Controller, Joy-Cons + Controller grip and Switch lite dock/cradle would all be optional accessories to add the TV mode later.

The entry price of the base Switch lite could be kept low without selling the hardware below production costs and they could advertise the low entry price. Households with several players/children would be tempted to buy more than one system that is compatible to Switch games.

One Switch "device family" with different form factors, all can play the same games. Just like iPhones and iPads which both have their advantages and disadvantages, but can play the same games.

Ka-pi96 said:
KungKras said:

Kids these days.....

I'm 26

I just completely skipped anything and everything related to Nintendo that generation. Gameboy Advance and Gamecube? Never even tried them.

Oh.

Your username is misleading then :P

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:

Why would you want a 1440p screen if most games run at 720p on portable mode? Unless they significantly bump the specs, which would make it more expensive and defeat purpose.

Upscaling. I do not expect the games to actually operate at said resolution, nor would they need to either.

Jumpin said:

You can already play Switch on TV. The point of the Switch is that you can do both TV play and portable play.

The point is, I don't want the portable crap.

Jumpin said:

If the Switch doesn’t cater to you because it isn’t exactly the same as PS4 and XBone, then that’s your problem. It’s a different kind of product.

Don't assume the consoles I play.

Jumpin said:

Also, 2DS is a silly example - it was in response to all the health hazard warnings toward children of the 3D on 3DS, so they made 2DS as an entry level handheld for children ages 6 and under; it was a special case.

It was a special case? Yet Nintendo did a similar thing with the DSi... But okay then.

Jumpin said:

You’re basically comparing your plight to that of a 6 year old child whose parents won’t let them play the latest Pokemon.

And you are under the false illusion that I care what you think.

Mandalore76 said:

Yet, for some reason people insist that it needs a TV only or handheld only revision that 100% breaks it's primary selling feature.

Not sure how much simpler it can be broken down.
The current Switch doesn't exit the market.

Thus nothing changes for the Switch, just more options are available for more consumers. That. Is. It.

Mandalore76 said:

Yes, people have different needs and wants, but you can't please everybody.

The goal is to please as many people as you can.

Mandalore76 said:

You want a Switch that only plays on your TV, buy one and leave it in the dock, because it already can do that.

But why should I? Why should I pay for features that I would never use like the Screen, Dock, Battery, Joycons and so on?

Mandalore76 said:

You want a Switch that is portable only, buy one and only play it out of the house, because it can already do that.  Otherwise, you're not in a market that Nintendo needs to worry about until sales plateau or stagnate.

I never said I wanted a portable-only switch, but thinking on it... Sure. Why not.
Essentially I wanted a Switch XL because the 6.2" 720P screen is shit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Is this desire for a redesign coming primarily from handheld owners who are upset that they're not getting a 4DS? Serious question and not meant to be an attack.

super_etecoon said:
Is this desire for a redesign coming primarily from handheld owners who are upset that they're not getting a 4DS? Serious question and not meant to be an attack.

It seems to be coming mostly from people who care only about the portable aspect, or only about the console aspect, but not both.

Given that the OP's pic only cares about the console in 2d why not redesign systems like the X1 or PS4 where you simply cut the entire system up into 1" square box's and stack them on top of each other, would be completely possible to redesign the ps4pro to be 1"x1" in size! Very convenient for users.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive