By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch SP could be possible with just a Tegra X1

Nuvendil said:
Barkley said:

Though removing a screen from a ds/3ds would make a large number of games unusable, Switch games are already designed to be playable on a TV. I think that if they can get the price low enough by removing the screen, battery and the seperate dock, it could have a very good impact on sales. Lowering the price of entry does wonders.

Though as a prediction, you may be right that it will not happen.

If that were sufficient reason they would have done it already.  Removing all that wluld drop it under 200, maybe lower.  If that's not enough, I doubt it ever will *be* enough.

When they have trouble with supply? No, now is not the time to increase demand or increase the number of models. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
captain carot said:

Gameboy Advance SP

Edit: It meant Special for the GBA SP

Ah, right. I've never even heard of the Gameboy Advance SP before

Kids these days.....

I LOVE ICELAND!

Nuvendil said:
Pemalite said:
Either: Give me a larger, higher resolution screen. (Think 8+ inch, 1440P)
Or ditch all the mobile rubbish (Screen, Battery, Dock, Joycons etc') and give me a Switch TV.

There will not be a Switch that can't switch.

Also, enlarging or shrinking the unit is almost certainly out of the question.  It would lead to Joycon incompatibility.  They could make a Switch Pro though with more muscle and a gorilla glass screen that allows them to eliminate the bezels.

Which Joy-Con incompatibility?

In handheld mode a Switch Lite wouldn't need  Joy-Cons due to its own (inseparable) sticks and buttons.

In Kickstand mode or TV mode the external controllers (normal Joy-Cons with grip, normal Joy-Cons without grip or Pro controller) would override the internal controls... it would behave exactly like a normal sized Switch.

Joy-Cons, Charging Grip and Pro controller would be optional accessories (100% compatible to all Switch form factors), allowing a low entry price for the Switch Lite without bundled accessories.

Last edited by Conina - on 01 March 2018

Conina said:
Nuvendil said:

There will not be a Switch that can't switch.

Also, enlarging or shrinking the unit is almost certainly out of the question.  It would lead to Joycon incompatibility.  They could make a Switch Pro though with more muscle and a gorilla glass screen that allows them to eliminate the bezels.

In handheld mode a Switch Lite wouldn't need  Joy-Cons due to its own sticks and button

In Kickstand mode or TV mode the external controllers (normal Joy-Cons with grip, normal Joy-Jons without grip or Pro controller) would override the internal controls... it would behave exactly like a normal sized Switch.

That could work.  But now you are adding to the cost of the main unit.  You have to build in controlls as well as pack in a controller.

I was referring to shrinking or enlarging the tablet unit.

Nuvendil said:
Conina said:

In handheld mode a Switch Lite wouldn't need  Joy-Cons due to its own sticks and button

In Kickstand mode or TV mode the external controllers (normal Joy-Cons with grip, normal Joy-Jons without grip or Pro controller) would override the internal controls... it would behave exactly like a normal sized Switch.

That could work.  But now you are adding to the cost of the main unit.  You have to build in controlls as well as pack in a controller.

No, you don't have to include an additional controller. It would be sold as a handheld (100% compatible to all Switch games) for a handheld price, which can optionally extended to a hybrid with accessories sold separately.

Around the Network

Nothing wrong with the way the switch is now. It is portable enough

Conina said:
Nuvendil said:

No, you don't have to include an additional controller. It would be sold as a handheld (100% compatible to all Switch games) for a handheld price, which can optionally extended to a hybrid with accessories sold separately.

Again, I do not believe there will be a Switch that doesn't Switch right out of the box.  

Nuvendil said:
Conina said:

Again, I do not believe there will be a Switch that doesn't Switch right out of the box.  

Why not if they access additional customer circles this way? Some parents want to give their kids a handheld for $149 - $199 instead of a whole hybrid solution with all bells and whistles for $249 -$299, some of them also don't want their kids to block the TV.

It doesn't matter to Nintendo how most Switch users play (mostly/only in handheld mode, mostly/only in TV mode, mostly/only in kickstand mode, all modes evenly), as long as they buy the games.

Ka-pi96 said:
Where's SP from and what does it mean?

Short for special.

The clamshell design in the picture won’t work since the edges hit the screen. This will cause damage if any dust particles get between or extra pressure is applies; both of which will occur from putting it in your pocket. Not just hypothetical either, this was an issue with some phone designs and the original 3DS model for people who carried them in their pockets. Making a smaller clamshell switch you can’t carry in your pocket seems like a bit of a strange design choice.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 01 March 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Another issue is that it would be a strange move for Nintendo’s next iteration to feature no power enhancements over the first model. With Nintendo handhelds, each new iteration featured improved chipsets over the older models. DS Lite was more powerful than DS, and DSi was more powerful than DS Lite, 3DS was more powerful than DSi, and new3DS was more powerful than 3DS.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.