By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many of you live in Africa?

Nem said:
AsGryffynn said:

There are enough gamers in Africa to dwarf those in Germany and I've seen lots of Germans. Thing is, most Africans have a closed internet community like Russia, so you won't see a lot here... 

Not to he funny, but theres alot of Russians around. This forum has Russians, WoW is filled with them despite the cyrillian (cyrilic? whatever that spelling of theirs is called), just like many online games. Nothing alike.

The barrier in African countries is also education, i'm guessing many of them don't speak english, wich would be why they tend to form closed off bubbles.

It is estimated that about 7 million Africans speak English as a native language. However Africa has around 700 million English speakers total. In fact Nigeria has more English speakers than the UK! 79 million vs. 60 million.

So try again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

I think that the African continent tends to get forgotten/overlooked very frequently, but I'm interested in seeing how many people here live in Africa. So, if that applies to you, please state which country it is!!

Perhaps this should be a poll on the homepage. Not just Africa but a poll where people choose from America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia etc. I think it would be interesting to see how many people that come on VGC live in each of those places, you know to have an idea of the demographics of VGC users.

Nem said:
AsGryffynn said:

There are enough gamers in Africa to dwarf those in Germany and I've seen lots of Germans. Thing is, most Africans have a closed internet community like Russia, so you won't see a lot here... 

Not to he funny, but theres alot of Russians around. This forum has Russians, WoW is filled with them despite the cyrillian (cyrilic? whatever that spelling of theirs is called), just like many online games. Nothing alike.

The barrier in African countries is also education, i'm guessing many of them don't speak english, wich would be why they tend to form closed off bubbles.

Even while there might be many Russians here, the vast majority do keep to themselves. The reason you see some around is simple. Unlike Africa, Russia has an absurd amount of internet users. There are far more Russians on the internet than almost any other non Asian state. 

In Africa, the amount online is smaller, so the few gamers that are online probably don't post in sites like this one or do so sparingly... 

AsGryffynn said:
Fei-Hung said:
I'll be living there when I retire. If the thread is still up at that point I might be your first member living in Africa. I hope the Internet is steady and at a decent speed by then in East Africa.

It's good enough in Southern East Africa and Egypt, but not great otherwise... Also, Australian latency... 

My InteInte in East Africa, but they say it isn't good enough fir gaming. However, the place where the holiday home is being builtb its aaa a hu governmentgproject and from what I been told, it has attracted of foreign interest. Since it a city being built now for the purpose of tourism etc, I'm hoping they will also build a decent infrastructure for broadband. Besides, I have about 30 years before i retire lol

Signalstar said:
Nem said:

It is estimated that about 7 million Africans speak English as a native language. However Africa has around 700 million English speakers total. In fact Nigeria has more English speakers than the UK! 79 million vs. 60 million.

So try again.

That's ok. I'll sit on the big chair and you try.

Start by telling me where all these english speakers are. Because they don't seem to be posting here. I am most curious.

Around the Network
Nem said:
AsGryffynn said:

Actually... colonialism led to the point, that now in many african countries the official language is english or french.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ka-pi96 said:
Fei-Hung said:

My InteInte in East Africa, but they say it isn't good enough fir gaming. However, the place where the holiday home is being builtb its aaa a hu governmentgproject and from what I been told, it has attracted of foreign interest. Since it a city being built now for the purpose of tourism etc, I'm hoping they will also build a decent infrastructure for broadband. Besides, I have about 30 years before i retire lol

That sounds interesting, which east African country is it in?

Tanzania. The new city is called Safari City. Its between the second largest city Arusha  and its airport and the national safari parks. You actually have an amazing clear view of Kilimanjaro from the city which is stunning.

https://youtu.be/QkBcyoMHHZ8

I don't. As an atheist, it would be a short life anyway.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Ka-pi96 said:
Fei-Hung said:

Tanzania. The new city is called Safari City. Its between the second largest city Arusha  and its airport and the national safari parks. You actually have an amazing clear view of Kilimanjaro from the city which is stunning.

https://youtu.be/QkBcyoMHHZ8

That looks really good! Too bad you have to wait until you retire to move there though.

I will be using it as a holiday unti then. We should hopehopef it ready by next summer meaning we can start using it from that point. I'm sending my wife year and my since we have plenty of relatives there.