By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter World Ships 5mil!

a surprising amount of people on my xbox friendslist is playing this, really didn't think it'll take off this much.

Around the Network

I am more interested on how MHW sold in Asian market so I hope Capcom will provide breakdown for each market.

Also, as I much mentioned I hope people are genuinely happy MH is now successful in the west or worldwide and not because of the platform. Hopefully moving forward it's always multi-plat and Day 1 worldwide.

It's really a great time for Japanese games this past few years.
Persona 5, Nier and Nioh and to some extent Yakuza.
Hopefully Yakuza series will explode as well so the wait for each game is not long.

tbone51 said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Can't see any more monster hunter game for handheld. With the huge success capcom will only make monster hunter better from now on and switch will not be able to handle it.

Good job, you really know how the market works!

thanks. i have a knack for seeing things as they are. lets hope nintendo can produce powerful console so nintendo fans could experience the new monster hunter games

Ck1x said:
Ultr said:

Most western gamers are playing now, having fun and are fighting super long monster fights and are grinding for better weapons and armor.

thats whats going on ^^

Also MH is about the skill. Not the grinding. Its about getting better with every hit, with every step, with every new monster you can feel your improvement.

Monster Hunter is getting the attention it deserves

I understand that this site is starting to turn into N4G, but you guys have to stop jumping down people's throats because their opinions of a game differs from yours. I've played past MH games and yes they are about skill, crafting and equipment but you obtain this stuff through grinding. Its essentially how people put hundreds of hours into these games, it certainly wasn't for the story narrative.

Also why don't people wait for a full breakdown of where these shipments went to before claiming victory over something! Unless you own stock in CAPCOM and are personally offended because you worked on these games yourselves. Many of you are going after people on here like its your 9-5...

Maybe for once just be suprised and be happy for others that enjoy something, instead of trying to find something wrong in everything.

Thist thread is about MH shipping 5mil in 3 days so OBVIOUSLY you are the one trying to bring some negativity here.

JRPGfan said:
tbone51 said:

Maybe your referring to iapan?

Some people where predicting 2-3m lifetime sales.

Exsample:

collint0101 said:
I'm thinking 2 million on PS4, less than 500k on xb1 and PC is the wild card. Either way I kinda doubt it will beat mh4

Shiken said:

2 mil PS4
.5 mil XB1
.5 mil PC
Calling it now. It won't flop, but it will fail to meet expectations.

adisababa said:
This franchise has no appeal in the west, the amount of people overestimating the success of this game is wayyy too high.

..... snippet cut out.....

The PS4 owners, for the most part, will buy the game but it will reach nowhere near the 5 million mark, the max it will do is 3 million (that's being generous) and a large chunk of that will be bought by the Japanese owners.

Final verdict:
PS4: 2.5 million
Xbox One: 0.7 million
PC: 0.1 million

Metroid33slayer said:
3.5million across all platforms is realistic.

Medisti said:
That said, I don't think it will get that high. 2-3 million is my estimate.

What, some people thought it would sell worst on the PS4? What were they smoking? That's ridiculous.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Can't see any more monster hunter game for handheld. With the huge success capcom will only make monster hunter better from now on and switch will not be able to handle it.

lol.. MH support for Switch is inevitable. If Monster Hunter World is going to turn out as successful as these numbers indicate, I'm predicting there will be two main teams making future Monster Hunter games:

Team A: Multiplat MH with Switch as the lead platform (Won't look as impressive as Monster Hunter World, but it will run @60fps/1080p on base PS4, and full 4K/60fps on PS5)
Team B: Next gen exclusive (PS5/Next-box/PC) May get ported later for Switch-2.

And they should use Switch as the lead because you want to play on Switch and not because it would sell more than the others right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hiku said:
Mnementh said:

Has MonHun World Microtransactions or paid DLC? I'm not aware of any of that, but maybe I missed that news.

Oh, and I didn't realize your post was sarcastic, sorry. My general feeling was that Nintendo- and Sony-fans alike lowballed the expectations, your post was just the first I stumbled upon as proof.

Also I have no idea what @ing means.

Monster Hunter has both Free DLC upgrades planned for it, as well as microtransactions that are said to be purely cosmetic.
One of the first ones to hit the news were for the Street Fighter V collaboration, where the quests and armor sets of Ryu and Sakura are completely free, but the gestures to do Hadoken and Shoryuken are sold separately: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234467&page=1#

Ryu Armor Set - FREE
Sakura Armor Set - FREE
Guild Card: Bonus Stage - FREE
Achievements: Rival, Destined, Living Legend and Bandana Girl - FREE
Pose: Shoryuken & Hadoken - FREE

Gesture: Street Fighter V Hadoken - $3.99
Gesture: Street Fighter V Shoryuken - $3.99
Stamp Set: Street Fighter V Set - $1.99

And don't worry about it. I was being vague intentionally, and it was based in prior discussions I had on the subject.
@ing is another term for replying to someone. People generally tend to say "don't even @ me" after making some outlandish statement they know will incite people to want to respond to them. Whether I used that term or not, no discussions came from it.  ¯_(ツ)_/¯

That said, I wasn't confident it wouldn't end up in a worst case scenario (which should still have been within Persona 5/Nioh territory, with high brand recognition/popularity and being on 3 systems), or if it would do significantly better in a best case scenario, with ~6-7m LTD. So it's still fair to say I had conservative expectations. I certainly didn't expect as much as 5m shipped in three days though, so props to Capcom on this one. Off to a really good start.
And they already smashed my lowest expectations. They're also looking likely to pass my highest expectations as well.

Oh shit, so even MonHUn now has these monetization schemes.

Thanks for your explanations.

And yes, Capcom has obviously nailed this with this success.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dr.Vita said:
It was the perfect move from Capcom to put this game on the right consoles!!!
LMAO at all the people who thought that Monster Hunter would be dead on consoles that are not Nintendo handhelds... XD

*sigh* The talk was always about it being strong on handhelds, without further company qualifier.

Anywaysw, I think the success has less to do with the platform and more with upgrades to gameplay and graphics and a big marketing push.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Bandorr said:
collint0101 said:
The Sony fanbase itself makes this feel way more bittersweet than it should. It's great monster hunter finally hit mainstream success in the west but I'm not looking forward to hardcore PlayStation fanboys acting like they're the savior of some unknown underappreciated niche series

Considering this is also on XB1, and PC. Your anger may be misplaced...

Well, I pretty much expect XBox and PC to be unimportant in the sales numbers for this title.

Mnementh said:
Dr.Vita said:
It was the perfect move from Capcom to put this game on the right consoles!!!
LMAO at all the people who thought that Monster Hunter would be dead on consoles that are not Nintendo handhelds... XD

*sigh* The talk was always about it being strong on handhelds, without further company qualifier.

Anywaysw, I think the success has less to do with the platform and more with upgrades to gameplay and graphics and a big marketing push.

So you're saying the previous games had terrible gameplay, graphics and marketing?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.