Forums - Gaming Discussion - Time to settle it (for this month...): Chrono Trigger vs FF VI

Tagged games:

Which of these two best games is better than the other?

Chrono Trigger 21 65.63%

FF VI 11 34.38%

Total:32

I love both games, but I think Chrono Trigger is a perfect masterpiece of a game and the best RPG every made. So I'm gonna go with that one.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger in every single aspect.

The combat, music, story, graphics, world and characters.

Although if we break down those categories, FF VI had some strengths over CT. Like certain characters being more fleshed out, and more depth to the overall plot. But the ability to time travel to different eras in CT gave you a more interesting variety of scenery. And the ability to influence these eras based on your actions made the world feel more alive. And the incentive to find multiple endings made the journey all the more memorable.

But one of the aspects that's often attributed as one of FFVI's greatest strength, its villain, I consider one of it's biggest disappointments. Prior to completely losing his mind, I think Kefka was easily one of the most interesting villains in the series. I loved his burning passion, and he would stop at nothing to reach his goal. But once his mind was gone, so was his character. It was no longer a matter of having a conflicting ideal. Kefka became no different than a regular mindless beast, who just destroyed for no reason. He could not be reasoned with. So when you face off with him in the end, there were no clash of ideals. It was just a matter of stopping a mindless monster no different than any other, from going on a rampage.
If this change had happened later in the game, it would have been less of an issue. But I thought it was a shame to lose the eccentric Kefka so early on, and that none of his earlier actions in the game would lead to any sort of  meaningful accountability.

For comparison, Lavos is a much more one dimensional villain in Chrono Trigger. But along with Magus, they were consistent and they didn't disappoint me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-s-VQBoUdc

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 January 2018

I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, and think VI was great (Would LOVE a remake like how they did IV on DS), and it's sort of fighting to make its way into the top five Final Fantasy games for me... but I'm gonna' have to give it to Chrono Trigger. I've only played both games once, Chrono Trigger was on PSOne and Final Fantasy VI was on GBA, and I still have better memories of playing CT, maybe it's because I enjoy playing games more on a big screen, it's difficult for me to finish most games on a handheld for some reason, I just enjoy the big screen experience better... also Chrono Trigger blew me away at the time with the time traveling aspect, since I love that kind of stuff (Hence my favourite film trilogy is Back To The Future, lol) and I really enjoyed the battle system of it too.

... Also Hiku posted the main theme to the game and I'm having a major nostalgia trip while listening to it lol. Would absolutely LOVE for them to release it on the eStore or something when/if the Switch gets playable SNES games.

Final Fantasy VI for me.

Bristow9091 said:
I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, and think VI was great (Would LOVE a remake like how they did IV on DS), and it's sort of fighting to make its way into the top five Final Fantasy games for me... but I'm gonna' have to give it to Chrono Trigger. I've only played both games once, Chrono Trigger was on PSOne and Final Fantasy VI was on GBA, and I still have better memories of playing CT, maybe it's because I enjoy playing games more on a big screen, it's difficult for me to finish most games on a handheld for some reason, I just enjoy the big screen experience better... also Chrono Trigger blew me away at the time with the time traveling aspect, since I love that kind of stuff (Hence my favourite film trilogy is Back To The Future, lol) and I really enjoyed the battle system of it too.

... Also Hiku posted the main theme to the game and I'm having a major nostalgia trip while listening to it lol. Would absolutely LOVE for them to release it on the eStore or something when/if the Switch gets playable SNES games.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone would prefer FFVI's combat system and why. I'd imagine it would mainly come down to preference of random encounters and enemy design, because I think the combat system of CT is almost objectively better.
Time traveling is a theme I love in movies and games as well. Probably why Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. And I enjoyed those aspects of Ephemeral Fantasia and Final Fantasy XIII-3 as well.

By the way, Chrono Trigger on Playstation is the worst version from a technical standpoint since it's the only version that has loading times.
I played it on SNES and Playstation 1, but I haven't played the DS version, which seems to be the best version, and has an extra end game dungeon and a new ending. But playing on a big screen is often important to me as well.

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 January 2018

Around the Network

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Chrono Trigger. Also, I prefer FF4 over FF6.

FF4 is my favorite Final Fantasy I played it multiple times. I prefer also over FF6.

Both are great but CT takes it. Funny thing is CR doesn't have the best OST in the series either. That goes to CC.
FFVI has one of my favorite songs in all of gaming with Terra's song. One of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces of gaming music ever. The rest of FFVI OST is great but overall doesn't stand out as much to me as CTs

Hiku said:
Bristow9091 said:

I'd be curious to hear if anyone would prefer FFVI's combat system and why. I'd imagine it would mainly come down to preference of random encounters and battle themes, because I think the combat system of CT is almost objectively superior.
Time traveling is a theme I love in movies and games as well. Probably why Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. And I enjoyed those aspects of Ephemeral Fantasia and Final Fantasy XIII-3 as well.

By the way, Chrono Trigger on Playstation is the worst version from a technical standpoint since it's the only version that has loading times.
I played it on SNES and Playstation 1, but I haven't played the DS version, which seems to be the best version, and has an extra end game dungeon and a new ending. But playing on a big screen is often important to me as well.

Yeah I've heard the PSOne version is the worst, although back when I played it, none of that really bothered, in fact, if nobody told me the SNES version was better, I wouldn't have known any different lol.

Bristow9091 said:
Hiku said:

I'd be curious to hear if anyone would prefer FFVI's combat system and why. I'd imagine it would mainly come down to preference of random encounters and battle themes, because I think the combat system of CT is almost objectively superior.

Yeah I've heard the PSOne version is the worst, although back when I played it, none of that really bothered, in fact, if nobody told me the SNES version was better, I wouldn't have known any different lol.

I wasn't too bothered by them either, but I did notice them as I had played the SNES version earlier. I forgot to mention though that the Playstation version also added anime cutscenes and an anime intro/ending, so it's not accurate to say that the Playstation version was straight up worse.

I pick CT, but i have to say that ffvi is the best ff.
CT is just mindblowing for the time, from graphics, side quests, story and music, etc.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.