Forums - Gaming Discussion - Time to settle it (for this month...): Chrono Trigger vs FF VI

Tagged games:

Which of these two best games is better than the other?

Chrono Trigger 21 65.63%
 
FF VI 11 34.38%
 
Total:32

Chrono Trigger, in every way.

FFVI is lovely. I know they're both JRPGs, but it's almost apples to oranges. I really like the atmosphere and story of FFVI, but I love that in CT too, in a totally different way. But in the end, Chrono Trigger wins in story, characters and especially gameplay. The battle system of CT is what introduced me to RPGs. FFVI is great too, but CT's gameplay structure was the first in the genre where I got a real sense of fun. FFVI battles were rewarding, but playing CT is both rewarding and fun at the same time.

So it's CT for me.



Around the Network

Bumpety bump.
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I am happy to see CT winning, but FF VI getting some love too - in fact, I have learned new things about its battle system here, which from my memories I recall as super simple - really focused on its different characters to make the difference that is. The game IMO was mostly easy, but it's always nice to learn new tricks.



Never played either. Probably would if they re-released on PS4, but that said a remake with modern graphics would be much more appealing. Sprite based games look a bit dated now. If FF6 were to get a remake just like the one FF4 got then I'd be all over that!



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Chrono Trigger is more accessible and although I really love FFVI especially with the amazing cast featuring, Celes, Locke, Terra, Sabin and Cyan etc.. it was the first FF game I ever touched back during the SNES days and certainly felt much more emotion on there but there are areas in the game that just piss me off and when I went back to it on the SNES classic those nasty areas came back to me..

Chrono Trigger just seems to have better cohesion and areas far less annoying and it just feels more polished.



Ka-pi96 said:
Never played either. Probably would if they re-released on PS4, but that said a remake with modern graphics would be much more appealing. Sprite based games look a bit dated now. If FF6 were to get a remake just like the one FF4 got then I'd be all over that!

While the FF IV remake is great, IMO FF IV/CT aged beautifully: give it a shot, on a smaller screen with an emulator with filters for example.

...but I would welcome remakes with trophies



Around the Network
vivster said:
So you're comparing one of the greatest RPGs ever made to a heaping pile of overhyped shit? I feel offended.

Which of the two is one of the greatest RPGs ever and which is the overhyped shit?



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Xen said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Never played either. Probably would if they re-released on PS4, but that said a remake with modern graphics would be much more appealing. Sprite based games look a bit dated now. If FF6 were to get a remake just like the one FF4 got then I'd be all over that!

While the FF IV remake is great, IMO FF IV/CT aged beautifully: give it a shot, on a smaller screen with an emulator with filters for example.

...but I would welcome remakes with trophies

I do intent to. I've already bought the Steam re-release of FF6 at least, just need to get round to playing it. But yeah, a version with trophies would definitely be enticing! We've already got FF7 and 9 on PS4 with trophies... why not some more?



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Mnementh said:
vivster said:
So you're comparing one of the greatest RPGs ever made to a heaping pile of overhyped shit? I feel offended.

Which of the two is one of the greatest RPGs ever and which is the overhyped shit?

I think that is obvious to anyone with at least a lick of taste.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think FFVI is better, as well as FFIV, but we're splitting hairs.  Both are the pinnacle of the JRPG.



vivster said:
Mnementh said:

Which of the two is one of the greatest RPGs ever and which is the overhyped shit?

I think that is obvious to anyone with at least a lick of taste.

I played neither, so I'm in the dark. Also, do the people know if they're the one with taste or not? In case they are not sure if they are in the group with taste, they also cannot decode your statement. And maybe some in the group lacking taste THINK they have taste, so they minterpret your statement totally.

So, after all, your post leaves a lot open to clarification.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter