By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Time to settle it (for this month...): Chrono Trigger vs FF VI

Tagged games:

Which of these two best games is better than the other?

Chrono Trigger 21 65.63%

FF VI 11 34.38%

Total:32

FFVI all the way.

Around the Network

I wonder how much of my love for FFVI is tied to that music. Every time I start to favor Chrono Trigger that flute and bassline starts up in my head and I doubt myself lol

Really, I think even without the music I'd favor FFVI; it always seemed to me like the pivot point of the series, having elements from the future FF titles but still having the old school feel to it for reasons other than merely visual.

Chrono Trigger is definitely the more unique experience with faaaar greater replayability, though, but FFVI was the perfection of the formula they'd been honing for years.

Chrono Trigger for me. Simple, timeless (you know what I'm saying), funny, charming, beautiful, and not too heavy.

Here we go again, this brings back alot of memories, before that I just want to say that FFIV is my favourite from SNED era and not FFVI, but to me CT beats both easily, at that time it was the best RPG

Both games are masterpieces but I'll have to go with Chrono Trigger because I think it has a bigger sense of adventure due to the time travel and I enjoyed more its combat system thanks to the double and triple techniques.

Edit: Having said that, I think FFVI is the best Final Fantasy

Around the Network
Hiku said:

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. Customization in FFIV was something I considered, but I found the team composition in Chrono Trigger to be a more interesting approach to this, as it allowed you to do entirely new and visually creative attack combinations that could vary in terms or range of effect, power, and element. In FFVI it was mainly staple attacks and spells from the series. However, everyone in FF VI did have some unique mechanic to them that made them unique in combat in a way that CT characters weren't. So that is one aspect I think VI handled better. But I really liked discovering what kind of Double and Triple attacks characters could do together, and it encouraged me to switch up my teams a lot more often than I did in VI. The first time I saw and heard Ice Sword 2 left a strong and long lasting impression on me.

I forgot the multiple parties portions of FFVI though. That was a nice touch, and something we saw again against Jenova in FFVII. Chrono Trigger also integrated the story with the gameplay in some interesting ways though. Like when you lose all your equipment and get locked up, but rely on Ayla because she is strong just fighting with her fists. But perhaps one of the most interesting and memorable examples of this in rpg history for me was the fight with Lavos where Chrono is killed unscripted, and purely because you're too weak to fight him at that point. (Even though it's highly unlikely that you'd be strong enough to beat Lavos on your first playthrough) I had never seen anything like that before, and it tied your gameplay in with the time traveling mechanic and the story in a unique and interesting way.

I definitely agree that chrono trigger is a visual masterpiece, they put a lot of effort into making the techs look as cool as they could. So in that aspect I will say Chrono Trigger is superior. But outside of the visual spectacle, I found less incentive to change the party members than in FFVI. Especially because of the sections with multiple party members, If I only use the same characters over and over the other parties will fall behind.

I never thought about the ways Chrono Trigger used gameplay to tell its story, that’s a interesting way of looking at Crono’s sacrifice

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

Kyuu said:
m0ney said:

I trigger you: Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger

I have tried FFVI a few times but never managed more than a few hours, I just find the random encounters annoying and the combat pointless. I guess I was spoiled by FFX where combat was made addictive because Spheres and Sphere Grid

Loved Chrono Cross... that godly presentation man. I don't like Final Fantasy X as much as I used to but it's still a great game. Sphere Grid is one of its strong points.. awesome system.

derpysquirtle64 said:

I think that judging by your post you play both games with Active setting. Though, I personally prefer Wait strategy and I find CT battle system much more using this strategy setting. It also eliminates the problem with slow scrolling through the list of skills in chrono trigger.

Yes, I only play on Active Mode because otherwise defeats the purpose of ATB and rewards you with a pseudo/dumbed-down Turn-Based RPG experience. ATB games make use of quick thinking and split-second decisions, so the enemy attack patterns tend to be much less complex than a proper Turn-Based game, like Persona.

To each their own I guess. I prefer not using ATB and in this case Chrono Trigger's gameplay is better I think. As the others said because of double and triple techs. In my opinion that's the best RPG battle system ever. Kinda sad that it's not being used very often.

Chrono Trigger, in every way.

FFVI is lovely. I know they're both JRPGs, but it's almost apples to oranges. I really like the atmosphere and story of FFVI, but I love that in CT too, in a totally different way. But in the end, Chrono Trigger wins in story, characters and especially gameplay. The battle system of CT is what introduced me to RPGs. FFVI is great too, but CT's gameplay structure was the first in the genre where I got a real sense of fun. FFVI battles were rewarding, but playing CT is both rewarding and fun at the same time.

So it's CT for me.

Bumpety bump.
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I am happy to see CT winning, but FF VI getting some love too - in fact, I have learned new things about its battle system here, which from my memories I recall as super simple - really focused on its different characters to make the difference that is. The game IMO was mostly easy, but it's always nice to learn new tricks.

Chrono Trigger is more accessible and although I really love FFVI especially with the amazing cast featuring, Celes, Locke, Terra, Sabin and Cyan etc.. it was the first FF game I ever touched back during the SNES days and certainly felt much more emotion on there but there are areas in the game that just piss me off and when I went back to it on the SNES classic those nasty areas came back to me..

Chrono Trigger just seems to have better cohesion and areas far less annoying and it just feels more polished.